Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I Just Blew the Theory!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I Just Blew the Theory!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 08:11 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I Just Blew the Theory!

As many of you know 220-age is the common, though incorrect, designation for maximum heart rate.

I proved this on Monday, while ascending a rather steep hill on the mtn bike in low-low.

My heart rate was 168 (and I felt fine).

According to the "gospel", at almost 67yo, I should not have a MHR of over 153 (220-67).

Food for thought, folks!

Its pretty much junk science.
Old 09-06-06, 08:24 AM
nmichell

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Lord, man!! You're lucky your heart didn't explode like a sausage in a microwave!!

Any good fitness book (even some that are not so good) will tell you that (220 - Age) is nothing more than a guess.
Old 09-06-06, 09:06 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by nmichell
Good Lord, man!! You're lucky your heart didn't explode like a sausage in a microwave!!

Any good fitness book (even some that are not so good) will tell you that (220 - Age) is nothing more than a guess.
Exactly my point. But so many folks treat it as gospel - I just like to mess with the theory every now and then.
Old 09-06-06, 10:04 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Exactly my point. But so many folks treat it as gospel - I just like to mess with the theory every now and then.
I know I have read in many places that it is bunk. At 220-49 my max should be 171, but I saw 185 a few months ago... and based on how I felt, I think I was pretty close to my max.

I read in a book that described the way to really measure max heart rate... It was something like:

1) warm up

2) find a nice long steep hill

3) get to the bottom of it

4) Climb it at an ever increasing pace... start with moderate effort and increase toward sprinting.

Keep going until your vision starts to get blurred, then increase speed a little more.

Keep watching your HRM as you continue to push yourself. The last number you see before passing out is your max heart rate.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 09-06-06, 10:56 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
...so many folks treat it as gospel - I just like to mess with the theory every now and then...,
...and live to talk about it! (And this piece of wisdom comes from a retired insurance exec who cautioned us about someone working in our yards... )

Did you think your ticker would come to a screaching halt at 154 BPM? Or that some funky robot would appear next to your handlebars and begin screaming: "WARNING! WARNING! DENVER FOX! YOU ARE ABOUT TO EXCEED YOUR MAX BPM! WARNING! WARNING!"? Denver, you made me laugh this afternoon, and I needed to laugh! Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Lost in Space Robot.jpg (30.6 KB, 183 views)

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 09-06-06, 11:00 AM
ajf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No matter what, you will never exceed your maximum heart rate.

-a.
Old 09-06-06, 11:03 AM
nedgoudy

Bikes: Easy Racers EZ-1 and Lightning Thunderbolt Recumbent Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nmichell
This is in no way an attempt to trivialize a
serious concern, but don't you just love the
way the darned sausages will sizzle and then
start whistling gas out of one end of the thing
before they DO explode in the microwave?

Man, that analogy really brought back a vivid
memory... thanks for that!

And Denvr, "BE CAREFUL OUT THERE." Although
we could say, "YOU THE MAN!" :O)
Old 09-06-06, 11:06 AM
dauphin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If your heart did explode, would you die instantly or at least in a matter of seconds? If so, wouldn't that be a good way to go....riding a bicycle?
Old 09-06-06, 11:14 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

OK, enough of this MAXIMUM crap.

How come we never discuss MINIMUM heart rates?

Is there some sort of prejudice out there against minimum heart rates?

So, folks, what has you minimum heart rate been, and how successful are you in lowering your heart rate?

This does tend to bring up the subject of suspended animation.

Also, is minimum heart rate related to age. Is there some sort of formula like

MinHR = 0 + your age?
Old 09-06-06, 11:54 AM
head_wind
Hypoxic Member

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sorry, but I don't know how to write this without a severely pedantic tone. Please, ignore the tone. We aren't all the same height but have an average height. I'm sure that someone (not me) can tell you the average age of 52 year old males in Missouri etc. That would be a starting point, just as 220-age is. It is a rule-of-thumb or spleen or something. It is a good starting point and we can all improve on it if we wish.

I am sure that resting HR is interesting just because the Dr. always checks it. Athletes like to brag about their minimum HR which is ~wake-up time. I guess that it is a useful health indicator.
Old 09-06-06, 11:54 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
How come we never discuss MINIMUM heart rates?
Minimum heart rate is zero. All of us will achieve it eventually. A few will achieve it more than once, and for most of them, a serious whack on the chest, CPR and/or a defibrillator will be involved.
Old 09-06-06, 12:10 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by head_wind
Sorry, but I don't know how to write this without a severely pedantic tone. Please, ignore the tone. We aren't all the same height but have an average height. I'm sure that someone (not me) can tell you the average age of 52 year old males in Missouri etc. That would be a starting point, just as 220-age is. It is a rule-of-thumb or spleen or something. It is a good starting point and we can all improve on it if we wish.

I am sure that resting HR is interesting just because the Dr. always checks it. Athletes like to brag about their minimum HR which is ~wake-up time. I guess that it is a useful health indicator.
I'm sure that someone (not me) can tell you the average age of 52 year old males in Missouri etc.

I think I can pretty accurately state that the average age of 52 year-old males in Missouri is 52.

Well, this was all supposed to be sort of "jokey." But it seems to have veered away from that. So, you want pedantic?

I can do pedantic!

Read this research article about how 220-age came to be, and the conclusion (which I quote below).

https://faculty.css.edu/tboone2/asep/Robergs.doc

CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS

Based on this review of research and application of HRmax prediction, the following recommendations can be made;

1. Currently, there is no acceptable method to estimate HRmax.

2. If HRmax needs to be estimated, then population specific formulae should be used. However, the most accurate general equation is that of Inbar (17) (Table 3); HRmax=205.8-0.685(age). Nevertheless, the error (Sxy=6.4 b/min) is still unacceptably large.

3. An acceptable prediction error for HRmax for application to estimation of VO2max is < 3 b/min. Thus, for a person with a HRmax of 200 b/min, error equals 1.5%. If this precision is not possible, then there is no justification for using methods of VO2max estimation that rely on HRmax prediction formulae.

4. Additional research needs to be performed that develops multivariate regression equations that improve the accuracy of HRmax prediction for specific populations, and modes of exercise.

5. The use of HRmax is most prevalent in the fitness industry, and the people who work in these facilities mainly have a terminal undergraduate degree in exercise science or related fields. These students/graduates need to be better educated in statistics to recognize and understand the concept of prediction error, and the practical consequences of relying on an equation with a large standard error of estimate (Sxy).

6. Textbooks in exercise physiology and exercise prescription should contain content that is more critical of the HRmax=220-age or similar formulae. Authors need to stress the mode-specificity of HRmax, provide alternate, research substantiated formula, and express all content of items 1-5, above. Similarly, academic coverage of HRmax needs to explain how this error detracts from using HRmax estimation in many field tests of physical fitness and in exercise prescription.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-06-06 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-06-06, 12:19 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Here's some stuff for you to think about when you get that far:

1) Although that original method of determining max heart rate was set using non-athletic people it is in fact not a bad method. The more you exercise and obtain optimal fitness the more closely you'll find yourself meeting the numbers in that calculation.

2) People who have numbers significantly outside of those calculated have something WRONG with them, and not something right. If you're very slow to recover after an effort (say taking 10 minutes or longer for your heart rate to fall below 100 after you come to a stop) or if your heart rate is significantly above the calculation it means that the CAPACITY of your cardiovascular system is below what it should be.

Now that may not mean that anything is actually wrong with your health, but merely that you're below a fitness level. But it is something that you damn well better pay attention to.

3) Once you obtain the level of fitness you should have as an endurance athlete (and don't be afraid of thinking of yourself that way if you can ride a century) it is likely that your resting heart rate will be significantly lower than other people your age.

What this means is that IF you need to go to the emergency room FOR ANY REASON you MUST tell them that you are an athlete. Otherwise when they take your heart rate they will assume that you're suffering the early signs of a heart attack - slowed (and eventually stopped) heart rate.

You are the one responsible for your own health. It isn't some driver's fault if you fall into traffic and get run over. It isn't someone else's fault if you don't recognize the early signs of stroke or heart attack. And it isn't the hospital's fault if you don't inform your doctors and they have you on twenty machines before they discover that you're perfectly healthy and hand you a bill for $30,000.
Old 09-06-06, 12:36 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by cyclintom
Here's some stuff for you to think about when you get that far:

1) Although that original method of determining max heart rate was set using non-athletic people it is in fact not a bad method. The more you exercise and obtain optimal fitness the more closely you'll find yourself meeting the numbers in that calculation.

2) People who have numbers significantly outside of those calculated have something WRONG with them, and not something right. If you're very slow to recover after an effort (say taking 10 minutes or longer for your heart rate to fall below 100 after you come to a stop) or if your heart rate is significantly above the calculation it means that the CAPACITY of your cardiovascular system is below what it should be.

Now that may not mean that anything is actually wrong with your health, but merely that you're below a fitness level. But it is something that you damn well better pay attention to.

3) Once you obtain the level of fitness you should have as an endurance athlete (and don't be afraid of thinking of yourself that way if you can ride a century) it is likely that your resting heart rate will be significantly lower than other people your age.

What this means is that IF you need to go to the emergency room FOR ANY REASON you MUST tell them that you are an athlete. Otherwise when they take your heart rate they will assume that you're suffering the early signs of a heart attack - slowed (and eventually stopped) heart rate.

You are the one responsible for your own health. It isn't some driver's fault if you fall into traffic and get run over. It isn't someone else's fault if you don't recognize the early signs of stroke or heart attack. And it isn't the hospital's fault if you don't inform your doctors and they have you on twenty machines before they discover that you're perfectly healthy and hand you a bill for $30,000.
The only real use for an accurate MHR is in developing a program for exercising at a sub MHR.

Your MHR is what it is, period. You just have to live with it (no joke intended).

And, my heart is in excellent condition, thank you for your interest.

How come these discussions always have to get "serious?"
Old 09-06-06, 12:47 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclintom
People who have numbers significantly outside of those calculated have something WRONG with them, and not something right.
Actually, I wonder what your reason is for saying this...

I have actually read (in forums and on the internet, so the reliability is not high) that the maximum heart rate is actually more a factor of heredity than fitness or health.

I have read that the ability for one to work closer to one's maximum for longer periods of time is a measure of fitness.

I have surmised that the ability to perform more work before one approaches the maximum heart rate is a measure of fitness.

Is the ratio of the computed maximum and the observed maximum really a factor of poor health? I could see if it was extreme (i.e. if a person can easily achieve 150% of computed maximum or is unable to exert enough to exceed 50% of maximum).. I don't know of any issues that should cause worry if within 10-20 percent of the computed max... but, then again I am not medically trained, so I can easily be wrong!

I do agree that slowness of recovery being a factor that should be taken into consideration, and I have heard the issue with the heart rate in an emergency situation... Good advice!

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 09-06-06, 12:58 PM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My computed is also 220-49 = 171 and I hit the 180s every day and the low 190's almost once a week and 196 once. The calc is total BS.

2013 Noah RS
Old 09-06-06, 01:23 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
As many of you know 220-age is the common, though incorrect, designation for maximum heart rate. Its pretty much junk science.
You're only as old as you feel. Working it out mathematically, (220-168) you must feel like you are 52.
Old 09-06-06, 01:31 PM
CrossChain

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As many of you know 220-age is the common, though incorrect, designation for maximum heart rate.

I proved this on Monday, while ascending a rather steep hill on the mtn bike in low-low.

My heart rate was 168 (and I felt fine).

According to the "gospel", at almost 67yo, I should not have a MHR of over 153 (220-67).

Which is why when the skeptical, the naysayers, the chronically dark-minded would persuade us to "get real" and accept limitations and boundaries, we need to remind ourselves that often those accepted boundaries are arbitrary, conventional thinking that may, only just may, be true...........and therefore they are worth our time trying to break free.

The best reply to the "nattering nabobs of negativism" (remember that one? ) are shared experiences like Dnvr's. How many rides have each of us almost turned back from, only to push on and succeed at what seemed a distant goal. These posts are filled with people who say 10 miles was their limit last year, but they're doing a metric or more now and would never have thought....................that's what BF50 is really all about. Ta--Da!!
Old 09-06-06, 01:51 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Artkansas
You're only as old as you feel. Working it out mathematically, (220-168) you must feel like you are 52.
YEAH! Best reponse of the day!

Yesterday, when my friend and I were cruising along at 21 mph totally at ease for miles on end, I felt about 35! That was a great feeling.
Old 09-06-06, 02:18 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
My computed is 220-49=171. I have seen 198 on hill climbs, so the 220-age is a pretty poor estimate of max heart rate. I have also read that if you are not in very good physical condition you may not even be able to get to your max rate until you get in better condition. Hr max is also activity dependant.
Old 09-06-06, 03:00 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
When I take a picture of my bike I put it front of my garage door.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 09-06-06, 05:14 PM
cruzMOKS
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK
Aug 05 rode around the block 0.7 miles a 300+/- foot change in elevation.
I was exhausted and fell asleep on the couch.
Min heart rate 60 bpm before I started riding a bike.

Whenever I checked my min. heart rate thru the year it always was around 60 bpm
(59-62)

July 06
I got up to 70 miles averaging 15 mph with a lot of rolling hills.
Min heart rate 60 bpm

What’s the deal with that? At least you could say I’m consistent.

For training it seems as you discover a higher Max heart rate, you would just adjust your
training #’s. There is the possibility of a monitor error. Though it would seem to error on
the low side as it lost contact for some reason. Or low battery .
Old 09-06-06, 06:14 PM
Big Paulie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cruzMOKS
There is the possibility of a monitor error.
I ride past a military instilation every day, and my computer goes crazy for about 5 minutes...Max speed, 94 MPH! Max heart rate, 260!
Old 09-06-06, 06:44 PM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I've always relied more on my recovery rate as a measure of fitness. That is, how long after a difficult ride does it take me to get back to my normal resting heart rate (as measured first thing in the morning before getting out of bed.) I do this becasue I've found that stress, illness or other normal factors that seem to show up throughout the year can have an impact on max heart rate. So, while riding, I monitor my heart rate at the start of the season to keep me from pushing too hard, too fast, but by July I've stopped wearing the heart rate monitor. Then I take a post ride pulse and check it with the resting pulse the next day.
Old 09-06-06, 07:00 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
When I take a picture of my bike I put it front of my garage door.
I take mine in front of, on one, or near, a snow pile.

FWIIW: Polar computed my MHR at 149, well under the amount we are talking about (220-48=172). About the highest rate I've ever seen is 155, and that is at the end of a 2 mile long 900 foot climb. No matter how hard I try I can't make it go higher. I'll ask my Doc about it next week at the annual physical.

Denver, I'm amazed at how many didn't get your sarcasim!
Attached Images
RS in Snow 2.JPG (45.0 KB, 164 views)
71 Varsity Mar 2006.JPG (59.0 KB, 164 views)
66 Collegiate 1.JPG (66.6 KB, 165 views)

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.