Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

130mm spacing--> Coaster Brake Hub, How-To?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-30-10, 05:34 PM
Talewinds

Bikes: (2) 2004 Trek 1500, Team Colors:2004 Cannondale Ironman w/ Renn and Zipp: 2005 Kestrel Talon SL: 2001 GT Agressor: 2001 Schwinn Moab: 2001 Specialized S-Works M4 Festina Team Bike: 2002 Pinarello Prince: 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I typically hang out in the road cycling/ racing realm so if this is a recurring and typical issue I'll apologize. I'm building some cruiser/ rat rods for my wife and I and I have a frame w/ 130mm rear spacing but I want to use standard 26" cruiser wheels/hubs. I know they have a standard 110mm spacing. Is there a less ghetto solution than using washers and nuts to fill the excess gap and hope there's enough axle thread to span the 130mm???

The frame is an older Dyno cruiser (now Kustom Kruiser) frame.

My wife's is a Coast King Starfighter from the 1950's, a bike I can find ZERO reference to anywhere on the net.

ALSO, I tried signing up for the ratrod bikes forum, but I never received the activation emails and I can't find any contact info for the moderators there. If anyone can PM me an email contact for someone over at ratrod so I can get registered and ask some specific questions over there that'd help mucho. Thanks!
Old 08-30-10, 06:14 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
https://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
Old 08-30-10, 06:56 PM
David Newton
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I just re-spaced a mtb frame to fit a coaster hub by the big vise method. I used the string to keep the seat tube centered in the rear stays. Rides no hands!
Old 08-30-10, 09:17 PM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Talewinds
I typically hang out in the road cycling/ racing realm so if this is a recurring and typical issue I'll apologize. I'm building some cruiser/ rat rods for my wife and I and I have a frame w/ 130mm rear spacing but I want to use standard 26" cruiser wheels/hubs. I know they have a standard 110mm spacing. Is there a less ghetto solution than using washers and nuts to fill the excess gap and hope there's enough axle thread to span the 130mm???
There are less ghetto solutions, but they all involve bending your frame. Considering how ghetto your bike will be if you mess it up...

Admittedly, I don't know for sure about single-speed coaster hubs, but many new SS/FG hubs come with spacers axles designed to span the extra length of a road frame. Considering nobody you don't tell will ever check and realize you have those spacers there.... I don't consider it ghetto at all.
Old 08-31-10, 06:35 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
Is there a less ghetto solution than using washers and nuts to fill the excess gap and hope there's enough axle thread to span the 130mm?
Shimano, SRAM and Sturmey all offer factory coaster 3-speed hub models in 130mm (or there abouts) OLD. That "less ghetto" enough?
Old 08-31-10, 08:55 AM
Talewinds

Bikes: (2) 2004 Trek 1500, Team Colors:2004 Cannondale Ironman w/ Renn and Zipp: 2005 Kestrel Talon SL: 2001 GT Agressor: 2001 Schwinn Moab: 2001 Specialized S-Works M4 Festina Team Bike: 2002 Pinarello Prince: 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Shimano, SRAM and Sturmey all offer factory coaster 3-speed hub models in 130mm (or there abouts) OLD. That "less ghetto" enough?
That's definitely one of the less ghetto solutions I've been considering. That's the Nexus hub correct?
Old 08-31-10, 02:27 PM
tcs
Palmer

That's definitely one of the less ghetto solutions I've been considering. That's the Nexus hub correct?
Yes, Shimano's SG-3C41. Twist shifter only, double check to see if the shifter is included or if you have to buy it separate.

Last edited by tcs; 08-31-10 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-31-10, 02:35 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Yes, Shimano's SG-3C41. Twist shifter only, double check to see if the shifter is included or if you have to buy it separate.
That is 120mm spacing.

The Nexus 7 and 8 speed hubs are 130. You can get the Nexus 7 speed with a Coaster Brake or a Roller Brake.
Old 08-31-10, 05:42 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
That is 120mm spacing.

The Nexus 7 and 8 speed hubs are 130. You can get the Nexus 7 speed with a Coaster Brake or a Roller Brake.
Actually the Nexus 7 speed coaster brake hub is 130mm and the 8 speed with coaster brake hub is listed as 132mm in Shimano documentation. I am getting ready to build a Nexus7 rear wheel but using the roller brake version, though without the roller brake. IIRC the SRAM iM3 coaster brake version is 130mm wide too.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 08-31-10, 07:22 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
That is 120mm spacing.
Sigh. Full time job just correcting mis-information.

The SG-3C41 is available with 168mm and 175mm long axles; the longer one is appropriate for 130mm OLD. A good LBS could get one; it took me about 2 1/2 minutes with google to find one on-line.

tcs
Old 08-31-10, 07:33 PM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Can it be that your frame was already spread for a five speed freewheel hub? Meaning you would be restoring it by respacing it.

I would just get a longer axle and use spacers if you don't want washers. I think there may be thread compatibility issues. Does anyone know what TPI a typical coaster brake cone is? I think it could be 24. Anyway, if you go this route, don't just get any old axle because it will be 25.4 tpi or 1mm pitch.
Old 08-31-10, 09:56 PM
Talewinds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the thread/pitch.

That's a really interesting thought about the respacing... I mean, the frame is 130mm on the money right now, BUT, the Dyno/ Kustom Kruiser frames are all single speed w/ coaster brakes, doesn't make sense to me that they'd start out at 130mm.

Since the cruiser/ rat bikes are a new realm to me I've got lots and lots of ideas and thoughts. Like, I might want to get a set of MTB disc wheels so that down the road a little I can put a big sprocket on the disc brake side of the wheel and make it into a board track style motor bike, those things are so cool. That would require the 130mm spacing that I already have.