Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pub 51

Old 06-17-14, 09:28 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
A few nights I needed to make a phone call and reached for the cordless only to have it report that I have no line. WTF! I say to myself. So I check my other phone and no dial tone there. So off to the basement I go, this I hate as I've been struggling with a bat problem and try to avoid going there. Flipping the lights on, I walk over to the phone lines, hear a noise and damned if I don't have a squirrel problem as well. He takes off into another room and I follow along to see a destination. Looking around I notice that the vent flue of my chimney has a gaping hole in it! There is a bullet I've dodged for who knows how long! My carbon monoxide detector has never peeped at all. So after going for a ride today, I'll need to go down into the bowels of my house and work a temporary patch until I can get the furnace guy over to do a proper repair. What I find annoying is that the furnace and flue are not even 10 yrs old and it rusted through the flue. If I didn't like the neighborhood so much, I'd sell cheap and move into the local retirement community!
Old 06-27-14, 08:16 AM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last time I had a flue installed I insisted on Stainless Steel. Big difference in price but it avoids issues like the one your describing. Glad you dodged the CO issue, could have been trajic.
Old 07-21-14, 09:21 AM
rck

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Well, at least now I'll no to keep an eye on it. I should take a pic because when the furnace guy and I went on the roof to check out the chimney cap, we discovered that the squirrel had chewed through the metal cap!
Old 10-26-14, 06:56 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,071 Posts
This morning I had to decide - work on the bathroom remodel project or go for a ride. It's a complete demolition remodel, currently in the drywall mud stage. Not my favorite activity.

So at about 100 miles into the ride, I came to a bridge out - I mean completely out as in gone. What to do - a 10 mile detour or scrabble across the creek? The construction workers had dropped chunks of concrete across the creek, making a haphazard walkway. Halfway across the creek, I wavered pretty precariously but caught myself and finished the crossing without incident. 140 miles for the day, but sadly I got home in time to add another layer of mud. I shoulda gone for the detour, I guess.

On the bright side, although we have no heat due to the power damper on our new furnace being broken, it's under warranty so not a DIY. Life is good.
Old 11-20-14, 05:29 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Just popped in for a nightcap after a night in my local pub. No-one here, not even a barman, so I'm off to bed.
Old 11-20-14, 05:35 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rck
A few nights I needed to make a phone call and reached for the cordless only to have it report that I have no line.
WTF ???
We dropped our land line service in 2005 and have had only cell phones since. Never have a problem of no phone service, etc.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-22-14, 10:37 AM
rck

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
WTF ???
We dropped our land line service in 2005 and have had only cell phones since. Never have a problem of no phone service, etc.
I have a tracfone that I take when I'm riding out in the country but its mostly for placebo effect as I can go 1 mile out of town and have no reception. U.S. cellular has somewhat better reception but not enough for me to spend the money to switch.
Old 11-29-14, 09:53 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Lightly snowing just a few miles east of Seattle on Cougar Mt.
First of the year at my elevation - about 800'.
Not expecting much accumulation.
But it does change the season.
For me at least.
Mentally.
Cheers.

to the freezer
for the Aquavit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WIN_20141129_074221.jpg (105.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 12-22-14, 08:33 AM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
May hit 83 degrees today....A little too warm for December but what the hell, it's Florida right?
Can't say I miss the snow.
Old 12-26-14, 07:34 PM
choteau

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any body else have the "Empty Nest Syndrome" as a father of an only child/daughter?
Old 12-27-14, 03:16 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
We have been empty nesters for 11 years.
My 44 y/o daughter called a week before Christmas and invited us down to her house or asked if we wanted her family to come up and visit with us. She lives 1-1/2 hours south. We told her that Christmas is time for her family to be together and we would be ok. Every year we have a non-traditional Christmas meal. This year we had home made (from scratch) chicken pot pie with a small salad and pumpkin and mince pie for dessert.
We're happy.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-02-15, 08:08 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Slide rules are a passion for me, we studied them thoroughly in HS physics before we started the class work in my Jr. year. My 18th birthday gift from my dad was a nice K&E engineers rule, unfortunately it was stolen from my locker. I have 20+ rules in my collection, some were my maternal grandfather's rules, he taught physics and mathematics for the Georgia university system. I was lucky enough to get some rare rules in eBay, with the K&E manuals, a few years back. I understand that a few people are using rules to teach again.

Your 41 was a grail calculator for me when I worked in well engineering, off-shore, never got to get one though. They fetch a hefty price at the auction sites now.

Bill
My dad gave me his K&E Log Log Duplex Decitrig, from about 1948. I have about half a dozen, but no other K&E.
Old 01-02-15, 08:55 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
K+E ... that's what you got if you had the money to buy it.

My Dad gave me this little free sample slide rule when I was in 4th grade, and my older brother taught me to use it. Made by TDK ... all of about 6 inches long. It was made from bamboo and had a magnifying cursor and was pretty much as accurate as the full sized ones. I used it all the way into college until they started permitting scientific calculators. Still have it too!

I really loved that HP-41. You could play all kinds of synthetic programming tricks with it, dynamically reallocate memory ... all sorts of stuff. I even used it to do a finals project to simulate a non linear control system in my master's program. Somewhere (I have to find it), I've got the card reader and even that optical pen.
My parents indulged me with the K&E that had several extra reverse scales, and also a metal "speed rule" since we had interscholastic slide rule competitions at that time. I still have the warm fuzzies for the K&E because I learned basic trig from practicing on it.

I've long since lost my slide rules, and also the programmable HP (I think it was the HP-25) that I bought with scholarship money as a freshman.
Old 01-03-15, 09:33 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
*plop*

Newly 50. What's up in here?
Old 01-03-15, 09:36 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by choteau
Any body else have the "Empty Nest Syndrome" as a father of an only child/daughter?
Both kids out of the house, lots of time to myself. Thank God they're self-sufficient. I did something right. Downside is that, with snow all over the roads and no MTB, it becomes a struggle finding ways to fill time other than editing my manifesto.

Are you looking for ways to fill time?
Old 01-03-15, 10:15 AM
choteau

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a bit overprotective since I was 37 when my daughter was born (only child). She turned 20 in Sept, and just moved to Florida with the deadbeat boyfriend.
The wife and I are separated right now, she's trying to decide what she wants to do with rest of her life.
Recently sold our big house with acreage in the country and moved to town.
I'm retired on disability so, no job to go to. Yeah, trying to fill time. Been riding my bikes as much as possible, going to start a Tai Chi class and do some volunteering. Thinking about some bike touring, maybe travel.
Old 01-16-15, 03:38 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by choteau
I'm a bit overprotective since I was 37 when my daughter was born (only child). She turned 20 in Sept, and just moved to Florida with the deadbeat boyfriend.
The wife and I are separated right now, she's trying to decide what she wants to do with rest of her life.
Recently sold our big house with acreage in the country and moved to town.
I'm retired on disability so, no job to go to. Yeah, trying to fill time. Been riding my bikes as much as possible, going to start a Tai Chi class and do some volunteering. Thinking about some bike touring, maybe travel.
Do the touring, and make it big enough so it qualifies as travel. When I took early retirement I was living on my own. Almost the first thing I did was buy a touring bike and take off for two months, doing a loop from Toronto to the Atlantic, then back through New England and upstate New York to Toronto. Bigger deal for me than it would be for you, since I'm UK-based.

it was one of the best things I've ever done. It seemed to mark the end of one phase of my life and clear the decks for the next one. And I was glad I went alone, it meant I engaged with the people I met along the way rather than just talking to a companion. Hghly recommend it. Europe has some fabulous destinations for the bicycle tourist, if you feel like a temporary change of scene...
Old 02-14-15, 09:30 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Empty nest....what's that?? Our 25yr old son and grandson are with us because of his verbally abusive wife just cant be lived with fulltime. We have 3 bedrooms and dont mind it much. Our other one, the gypsy-like "blowing in the wind" 21yr old daughter recently left for Phx area, probably on her way to Cali. She is gone couch-hopping every summer and somehow drifts back every winter. Honestly, my wife and I seem just as involved or moreso than when they were children with the exception of no diapers and we dont yell at or ground them anymore.

My wife and I will celebrate 37yrs of marriage this summer. Someday we will grab another RV and travel.
Old 03-13-15, 02:19 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Pi(e) ride tomorrow anyone?

Wow, it sure quieted down in here. 3.141592653 or 3/14/15 at 9:26:53 I'll have a mouth full of Pi

Edit: Here's me eating a slice on Pi Day at 9:26:53

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 03-15-15 at 08:47 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 03-15-15, 04:03 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Come to think of it....pizza does qualify. It always does.
Old 03-17-15, 07:38 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Whiskey, please.

Leave the bottle.
Old 03-23-15, 08:43 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I prefer this
Old 03-26-15, 06:24 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Jeez ... I love the Organ Symphony. And this version is amazing. For those who don't have the patience for the whole thing, skip to 27:15.

Old 04-12-15, 08:52 AM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Alright kids I think ya'll have to get out more,got to get your exercise,,,,,
Old 04-29-15, 05:03 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Do you "Pray" while riding?

Originally Posted by SammyJ
…I have found that a quite ride on my local MUP is a great time to talk to God.

How about you?

( and NO, I'm not evangelizing here!)

Originally Posted by oldsCOOL
I ask Him to watch over me with his angels for protection and for no flat tires.

Oh and throughout the ride, I enjoy His presence.

Thank you for asking.

Originally Posted by CbadRider
Moved from 50+ to Politics & Religion.

Originally Posted by Ckey_Cal
Put it back there are already too many old people in P&R
I’m a frequent poster to Bikeforums, not only as an avid cyclist to communicate with the like-minded, but also to record my thoughts (“journal”) about my cycling lifestyle, which I would not write about otherwise without such a Forum as BF.

I don’t have permission to access P&R, and am not interested in applying, but I thought the topic was worthy enough to me at least to record my thoughts. Furthermore I think this topic will likely get buried in all the snarkiness on that subforum. SO FYA, if interested (or not) I have written my reply to the Pub 51 sticky thread on the Fifty-Plus Forum, because this thread is

Originally Posted by CbadRider
…the 50+ thread for chitchat, where you can just hang out with your friends and talk about whatever is going on in your life or whatever topics are of interest. The only exception is overtly political stuff, which belongs in P&R.

Chat away!
And furthermore, as SammyJ, OP of the aforementioned thread wrote, “…How about you?
(and NO, I'm not evangelizing here!).”

I was disappointed to see this thread moved to P&R. For the first few years after I joined Bike Forums, I liked the Fifty-Plus subforum because while it was composed of like-minded cyclists of my generation, it featured posts about how cycling fit into a more broad life outlook (Weltanschaung). Nowadays, it seems much to be a mish-mash of topics that could easily be found in Road Cycling, Bicycle Mechanics, Touring or whatever…important and relevant, but mundane and not overarching.

Anyways, my reply to the removed thread itself, without getting into my specific theology, is that mostly my thoughts on the road are about work, family and more immediate issues; sometimes even composing posts to BikeForums in my head. On occasions I might ponder and give thanks for the Existence of Life and the World.

On my first major ride of last year, down in Rhode Island, I did adopt this roadside statue as an icon of my Guardian Angel of the Road. It reminds me of this Guardian Angel figure from the illustrated cartoon strip, who assumes that protective warrior image in times of danger to his ward.

One other spiritual benefit I enjoy more frequently and usefully on the Road is:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
When I'm peeved by a driver’s actions, instead of the middle finger and obscenties, I give my own special Bicyclist's Curse. I vigorously and repeatedly point my finger at the offender while shouting, “You, you, you…” with the intention that future harm befalls them. It’s more satisfying to me than the other gesture, with the hope of future metaphysical retribution.

I do also bestow Bicyclist's Blessings to drivers who show even a modicum of respect and compassion, with a friendly wave, a “Bless You,” and wishes for good things for them in the future. Even in car-crazy Boston, I perform numerously more blessings than curses. Probably about 2-3 blessings a day on a 14-mile commute vs about 1 curse every 3-4 weeks.

I feel empowered to perform these rituals, because my friend who introduced me to adult cycling once commented when a threatening rain turned sunny, “God smiles on His Bicyclists.” To anyone who reads this post, consider yourself authorized to bless and curse too.

Originally Posted by Matthew 16:19
And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven
This thread may encourage me to more often ponder and give thanks for the Existence of Life and the World. (BTW, my job, to which I cycle commute also encourages such meditations, even more frequently than bicycling, but I won't go there... ).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
579.jpg (90.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: gif
266246_full.gif (67.4 KB, 36 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.