Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

How important are rack mounts for long, light rides?

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 06-08-15, 12:13 AM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts

Hi, folks.

There are two nicely-discounted 2014 road bikes at my LBS (well, one at each of 2 different shops). One is a Felt Z85, and the other is a Raleigh Revenio 3.0. Both are upgrades from the Defy 5 I was considering, and with the jump in components (from Claris to 105 and an aluminum to a carbon fork, in both cases), I think it's worth the extra $350.

Both frames fit me fine. The only major differences I've noticed are that the Felt is maybe 1.5 pounds lighter, and the Raleigh has mount points for a rear rack. Aesthetically, I like the Felt better, and less weight might be better, I suppose (though I'm coming off a 15 year-old mountain bike, so I imagine they'll both feel like rocket ships), but I wonder about the rack mounts.

At the moment, I have a rear rack on my mountain bike that I love. I use it for groceries, holding a pump and lock, and pretty much anything else I need. For a road bike, I wouldn't be hauling anything crazy, but it might be nice to take a lunch and change of clothes if I ever get the guts to do the LA-to-San Diego ride. Without a rack, I'm guessing I'd be limited to a backpack (which would suck in the SoCal heat on long rides) or maybe a seat post pack. Are those sturdy enough to handle what i need? Also, I have short legs, so my seat will be pretty low, if that matters.

Thanks a ton!
Old 06-08-15, 02:03 AM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

I was mistaken. The prices and specs were right, but the Felt is actually a 2015. The Raleigh is a 2014.
Old 06-08-15, 03:06 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I use a saddlebag (Carradice Camper Longflap) with the SQR saddle rack system (click Carradice Bike and Cycle Accessories and Tools and scroll way down). I'm very happy with it. Pretty much the only drawback is, the bag is not very comfortable to carry when off the saddle. They have many smaller bags that would easily take the amount of stuff you're describing.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 06-08-15, 08:03 AM
cormacf

Thanks!
Old 06-09-15, 07:44 AM
mhifoe

Bikes: Genesis Equlibrium, Salsa Vaya, Claud Butler Urban 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My summer bike has no rack mount points.

I use a carradice barley saddle bag, which is big enough for commuting (change of clothes, lunch, tools etc).
The one juha has is more than twice as big as mine with enough space for light touring.
Old 06-23-15, 11:53 AM
ekoutdoorz

Bikes: '15 RockHopper Sport 29er 23in upgraded w/RokShox SoloAir XC32 w/PopLoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think I could live with any bike without a rear rack. Just so used to carrying all the little stuff that is so handy and groceries on a daily basis. The extra weight in back really makes it ride smoother, too. Keeps road spray off the clothes, too. But alas, I ride a mountain bike and of course it could be a shame to put one on a really speedy roadbike lol.

and YES, backpacks do svck in my opinion

Last edited by ekoutdoorz; 06-23-15 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-27-15, 03:30 PM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Backpacks when riding....... Big yes here as well, not liked at all. I'll have to try them but those hydration packs spook me. SoCal here as well but a little further south in Orange County. ( the ride to the border, hmm, I've done it twice both times I think the early 90's. Maybe ready to do it again...) as for cargo carrying on the bike, I seem to be always trying something different. I've been messing around with baskets for a bunch of years, they can look so ugly but work be extremely handy. Basic minimum, a newspaper and a cup of joe. Ive spent probably a hundred or more hours scanning the net, walking stores, and any other place that might have a basket of some kind. I finally found the basket ( it's for a yeti cooler, found it a rei as a add-on and only $10) and now working on a mounting bracket that I could live with. Last night I realized I never thought of putting it in the rear, that's going to be today's work. A caught a glimpse of that site mentioned, never seen it but it looked promising. My go to bike lately has been a '96 stumpjumper comp and it has no accessory mounts. To make a basket work on the front I got a basket bracket with the 1 1/8" hole. Filed off the nub and pulled off a fork spacer ring and that was what I had hoped, thumbs up. I also got a flower nut ( I've been calling it that for a long time, not sure that it's correct tho) and came up the forks from the bottom with a bracket. Those 2 mounting spots are all that I need. The basket bracket is 2 1/2" wide about, the lower is just an inch or so. That's the tricky one as the forks are manitou and they move. A quick bracket that I made to test it worked great. Ugly as hell but worked. I carried a 12 lb watermelon home from the store that's a little over a mile a way. The next step will involve changing out and tucking them away and making the cables a bit longer. Those pesky things get in the way. Then a new bike came along..... Both will be used tho, not getting rid of anything just yet or ever. I have to check if I even have pics......