Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Has your trailer ever pulled the rear wheel out?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-16, 09:00 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

I use a stripped down InStep trailer with a piece of plywood and big storage box attached to haul groceries by bike. The weight limit of the trailer is advertised as 100 pounds, but I'm fairly certain that the box loaded to the brim does not approach that amount. It's probably in the 50-70 pound range.

This past weekend I was hauling my load back home with my custom-built upright steel utility bike. Due to the way the frame is made, I had to make a "bracket" that drops the trailer hitch down below the actual dropout. I always try to make sure that the QR skewer is very tight to keep the whole thing in place.

I've been using this setup since the spring, and have never had and problems until this past Saturday. This time I was heading across a bridge in a park, and there's a bit of a bump a couple inches tall at the start of the bridge. I pedaled in low gear up/across the bump, then when I got past the bridge I starting hearing an odd noise from the bike's rear wheel. I hopped off to see that the rear wheel axle had come out of the drop-outs! I disconnected the trailer, got the rear wheel back in place, hooked the trailer back up, and continued on home. Seemed to be no problems.

I rode the bike again yesterday, without the trailer, and again there seems to be no problems. I hope I didn't wreck the frame or anything else. Disc brake seems okay, disc still seems to be in good alignment with the caliper and everything else.

I like how the addition of the steel bracket makes the trailer more level since it only has 16" wheels. But I'm not sure I like how it puts a torque load on the dropout when pulling it. I'm wondering if the spring on the trailer arm will break one of these days, also. This bike is slated to have mid-drive e-assist added when I get the funds together, so I'm thinking I may have to re-think the trailer situation, or maybe come up with a stronger way to attach to the frame instead of the wheel dropout or something. Any thoughts?
Old 11-07-16, 09:14 AM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I've pulled my 70 pound pitbull in her trailer a few times and never had a problem, even with her wiggling all over the place to see sights and smell scents.

Get a Shimano QR with an internal clamping mechanism. That's the first thing you need to do. Never pull a trailer without one. Those external cam action limp noodles should be illegal.

You might also rotate your QR lever to 2 or 3 o clock so there's no chance of the strap tugging at it. That's about all I can think of.
Old 11-07-16, 09:45 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

I now usually put the backup strap through the little triangle in the frame near the dropout. It can't really move forward enough to catch the QR handle. I actually do have Shimano internal cam skewers on my much lighter gravel grinder bike. I might swap them around.
Old 11-07-16, 02:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
No, No Pull out,
I have a Burly Co Op made Flatbed, and their earlier Alternative combined QR - Hitch.
It does have the safety strap too..

and a Carry Freedom City with a Chariot ball and socket hitch.. its on my Brompton.

Old 11-07-16, 07:33 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
I'd add a brace to to that bracket, from the screw holding the hitch to the chainstay, like a coaster brake arm.
Old 11-07-16, 08:03 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Take a look at the wheel attachment arm and the dropout.

I can't be sure from the photo, but suspect that there's interference between the arm and dropout. Ideally you'd want the arm to be roughly horizontal so the load when pulling the trailer is straight on rather than on a tangent which would torque the arm.

I gather that you cant have the arm horizontal because of the shape of the dropout, which sets up the problem. When the arm is pulled back, it wants to rotate, band levers against the dropout, pushing the axle down and freeing the wheel.

Prevent this issue by using a longer skewer (if one exists) and a spacer to fill the dropout so the arm can be fitted pointing backward. If that's not possible, you need to fins someplace on the chainstay to attach a brace to the end of the arm and counter the torque the trailer produces.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-08-16, 12:54 PM
PatrickGSR94

Originally Posted by Reynolds
I'd add a brace to to that bracket, from the screw holding the hitch to the chainstay, like a coaster brake arm.
Yeah I like that idea. Need to see if I can come up with something hopefully without welding.

I wonder if there's a way to rig up a different type of hitch attachment, and get rid of the spring on the trailer, without switching to an entirely different trailer. I like the idea of a ball/socket type of attachment, which shouldn't have the possibility of breaking from fatigue like the spring on this trailer might do, since the spring is bent all the time when moving forward in a straight line.
Old 11-10-16, 09:48 AM
PatrickGSR94

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Aluminum T bar , cut down just to fit the Mounts on the ends will be stiffer with out adding too much Weight.
I'm not sure I follow what you're thinking of.
Old 11-10-16, 10:23 AM
PatrickGSR94

Yeah I know that, just wasn't following what you were saying about "cut down to fit the mounts on the ends". Were you referring to Reynolds' idea of the brace similar to a coaster brake torque arm?
Old 11-10-16, 01:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I go back to I Dont have your frame or Your trailer

and I have never had a problem with My trailer causing My rear wheel coming out

Further consideration.. [post coffee]

Im guessing You have too Much leverage on the axle with that long arm .. and It pushed the axle Out.
I can see where the fulcrum point is at the edge of the dropout.. its like a crowbar leverage ratio..

I suggest Improving the trailer Hitch + Longer Axle.. get rid of the arm (and the Instep hitch).. put the Hitch right up By the axle.

Burly also uses a Square tube draw bar , Now .
https://www.bikeshophub.com/trailers...le-p-4154.html
replaces their forged aluminum one with Steel

https://www.bikeshophub.com/trailers...it-p-1257.html
The Elastomer replaces the spring, you mention , for a flexible connection

Perhaps You should convert your Rear wheel Hub to a solid axle and then you can get those axle Nuts tight enough
With a Big Wrench, to not come Loose again, since you seem unable to get the QR tight enough. (esp to resist that high leverage)

as evidenced by having your wheel Pull out, .. which started this topic off .

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-10-16 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-12-16, 04:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Here is another way to Cope with your rear dropout Type..

https://www.bikeshophub.com/trailers...er-p-2660.html
Old 11-14-16, 01:12 PM
PatrickGSR94

Oh cool, I like that idea!! Thanks, I've never seen that before but will probably pick up one soon!
Old 11-14-16, 02:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Then you can likely screw on the 'In-Step' hitch Under the Provided Nut, the QR lever will be on the Right side, Of Course..

Perhaps use a hex headed Security QR or an internal cam Shimano Skewer..

Old 11-15-16, 04:17 PM
sarahbruce

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

I used one of these in the past to pull a trailer and it worked wonderfully! Solid part and bikeshophub is a great place to order parts/trailers.
Bruce

Also, if you want to take your trailer to the next "level", get this hitch- https://www.bikeshophub.com/trailers...ch-p-1537.html and corresponding lollipop- https://www.bikeshophub.com/trailers...op-p-1539.html

These are easily retrofitted to your trailer by removing the spring hitch and bolting the lollipop in its place. This takes all the weird springy back and forth away when carrying a "heavy" load. I prefer this solid lollipop setup hands down to the spring hitch.

Last edited by sarahbruce; 11-15-16 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-24-16, 10:08 PM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Burley flatbed, never. It does get clamped on the rear triangle tho. 14 years of pulling my dog around.My bob ibex on the other hand has pushed the wheel out of the dropouts twice. I have to admit it was very much overloaded and pretty much still in its shakedown period. Happy with both.
Old 06-09-17, 03:49 PM
Bholio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I broke a quick release skewer on my Schwinn continental towing a heavily loaded converted kid trailer. I'm pretty sure it was the original skewer from 1973.

My thought was 'duh, of course I cannot tow with a QR axle, the skewer is too thin'. I replaced the axle with a bolt on. I'm surprised there aren't more reports of broken ones.

My trailer was mounted to the QR directly, not frame mounted.
Old 06-10-17, 07:24 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
I had an old style Burley hitch that would consistently loosen the axle bolt on my bike. I fell off once; but the safety strap caught it and I was able to walk back and find the bolt.

They changed the hitch design slightly and I purchased the new style hitch. I haven't had a problem since.