Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Health hazards of chain lube

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Health hazards of chain lube

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-19, 07:31 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
In fairness, I think the poster is referring to the campaign by Purdue Pharma and others to portray the data on oxycontin and other high-potency opioids as showing that the addictive potential was low in patients with significant pain. This was a deliberate misrepresentation and is the subject of criminal prosecution.

I was just out of a neurology residency at the time that this began and there was a big cultural shift in US clinics in favor of treating pain hyper-aggressively with narcotics, pain as the "fifth vital sign," and similar stuff, not all of it bad. In retrospect, quite a bit of this appears to have been commercially driven, but bull**** wasn't science then or now.
My opinion is that medical science is weakest in dealing with things that can't be objectively observed. Pain relief and psych meds have been and continue to be problematic, for example. It's part of the reason we really don't understand addiction well, and really can't treat it effectively on any consistent basis.

Seems like every generation someone seems to come up a supposedly non-addictive opiate or opioid, and it becomes a major public health problem.

Maybe we should start an "I'm addicted to Finish Line wet lube" thread.
Old 06-08-19, 07:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by carlos danger
I like alt meds as a supplement to trad meds. i see now that some chems that were known for "thousands of years" are now somehow classed as meds. go figure.
For example i can't buy any milk thistle capsules, or extracts, since its now classed as real meds.
I don't get it, I just googled it and found tons of sources. Of course just like any other supplement, you really don't know what is in the bottle.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-08-19, 07:38 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
I wonder why lsd never got problematic? it was legal for a long time. oh yeah no possible addiction potential. yet its still illegal.
Old 06-08-19, 07:39 PM
carlos danger

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't get it, I just googled it and found tons of sources. Of course just like any other supplement, you really don't know what is in the bottle.
possibly ground up milk thistle seeds, just as it says?
Old 06-08-19, 07:42 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I wonder why lsd never got problematic? it was legal for a long time. oh yeah no possible addiction potential. yet its still illegal.
Google MKULTRA
Old 06-08-19, 07:56 PM
carlos danger

there is a 2-3h docu on youtube on that. i heard it. but it called some other crapola i cant remember.

very much knowledge in that imo. you have to dig.

not afraid of highly phychoactive substances myself though.
Old 06-08-19, 08:03 PM
carlos danger

there is nothing more deeply psychoactively challenging than going to amsterdam and smoking your brain out on some/any type of hazxe, going full out, then going to red lighjt district. its completely silent there and you think your head will explode aaany minute now, and still you are there, and you have to deal with it. and its not like you can get away. this is much much more scary than any hallucinigen ever tried by man. ask me how i know. i know.

and if you are prone to psuchotic breaks you will have it there and then. you are hereby warned. its a good learning lesson though. being there.

Last edited by carlos danger; 06-08-19 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-08-19, 08:06 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,860 Times in 3,154 Posts
My opinion is that medical science is weakest in dealing with things that can't be objectively observed. Pain relief and psych meds have been and continue to be problematic, for example. It's part of the reason we really don't understand addiction well, and really can't treat it effectively on any consistent basis.

Seems like every generation someone seems to come up a supposedly non-addictive opiate or opioid, and it becomes a major public health problem.

Maybe we should start an "I'm addicted to Finish Line wet lube" thread.
Our scientific understanding of addiction is actually very advanced, but that hasn’t helped much with treatment.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 06-08-19 at 08:09 PM.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 06-08-19, 08:55 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord
Like I said, I don't want to be pursued by a big corp.

I suspect its probably not the only one to be unhealthy as most specialized lubes have complicated chemistries. There may well be a point in looking at other lubricants not only for reasons of personal health but also for the health of the planet.
You are not going to get sued for repeating what the LBS told. You aren’t saying that the lube is toxic. You are merely asking if anyone else has heard about Lube X being toxic.

Besides, you probably don’t have the assets to make it worth their while to sue you.

So relax.
Old 06-09-19, 03:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Our scientific understanding of addiction is actually very advanced, but that hasn’t helped much with treatment.
That's a lot to unpack, and it's so far ot, I won't go farther--I don't think scientific understanding of addictions like alcoholism can be considered "advanced" in any sense of the word.
Old 06-09-19, 03:33 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Get back on track.... what is the name of the chainlube?
Old 06-09-19, 03:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

possibly ground up milk thistle seeds, just as it says?
Or not--have you seen what has been found when the contents of supplement bottles are actually tested? The most infamous was Target selling ginseng capsules that contained no ginseng.

Why did you claim that milk thistle was now classified as a drug and no longer available? That was weird.
Old 06-09-19, 03:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by trailangel
get back on track.... What is the name of the chainlube?
mkultra.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-09-19, 03:40 AM
trailangel

What does that have to do with chain lube?
Old 06-09-19, 04:01 AM
trailangel

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
The OP provided me the identity of the chain lube in question and I reviewed all of the hazardous components. These are all refined petroleum products. Primary hazards common to all of these are skin and eye irritation. Petroleum products also are classified as severe aspiration hazards because death may occur through lung damage if you drink the material. What happens is that you when you vomit the material back up it can enter your trachea into your lungs. Oh, yeah - if you huff it, you can get dizzy and pass out.

All of these materials have some environmental toxicity as you would expect of petroleum products. There is evidence that short chain chlorinated paraffins, though not significantly toxic to fish, may bio-accumulate.

Below is a list of the components, with specific comments.

50-70% Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light (c9-c16)
This is analgous to kerosine.

10-20% Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy naphthenic (C20-C50).
Can be classified as a suspected human carcinogen if it contains > 3% polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). The chain lube manufacturer did not use the carcinogen classification in the product literature so there is some probability that the PAH concentration is below the limit.

There have been some studies showing toxic effects on adrenals, bone marrow, liver, lymph nodes, kidney, stomach, thymus through prolonged or repeated skin exposure; however I found mention of a study of rabbit skin exposure toxicity LD>5000mg/kg, which is not significantly toxic.

10-15% Short chain chlorinated paraffins (C6-C18)

From an assessment by the Australian National Industrial Chemicals Notification and Assessment Scheme (NICNAS): SCCPs exhibit very low acute toxicity by all three routes in animals. Mild skin and eye irritation were observed in some animal studies. Available human data indicate that SCCPs do not cause skin irritation and are not sensitisers.

1-5% Solvent naphtha (petroleum), light aromatic (C8-C10).

Can be classified as a suspected human carcinogen if it contains > 0.1% benzene. The chain lube manufacturer did not use the carcinogen classification in the product literature so there is some probability that the benzine concentration is below the limit.

My bottom line opinion is that this chain lube, which will be used sparingly and infrequently (i.e. once every few weeks) does not present a significant hazard to the user or to the environment. I'd recommend that you wash if you get any on your skin and certainly don't drink it. Also, do not throw unused portions in the trash.

I have know idea why the LBS dropped the product. Their stated justification does not match reality.
So you won't name the product either. WTF is wrong with people.
Old 06-09-19, 10:00 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I don't know where you get your science, but in Europe where I live opioids are regulated and only available with prescription because of their dangers and addiction potential. I don't know a single person who thinks opioids are safe. Also most drugs have side effects and are dangerous when overdosed. But with regulated drugs you get accurate dosage so the risk of overdose with responsible and informed use is minimized to almost nonexistence.

But just go on ahead and chug on your willow bark tea. I'll rather take an aspirin.
The quotation marks around the word science were to show a satirical use of the word due to the drug companies proclaiming to have legitimate research to back up their sales goals. The US version of the BBC news has carried some of the stories about the lawsuits against these companies to recover some of the costs associated with treating opioid addicts, hasn't this been mentioned there?
Old 06-09-19, 10:06 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
So here's the formula for your posts --scientific medicine is bad because it did these specific bad things.

Know what you can't do? Defend alternative medicine. Scientific medicine has eradicated several diseases such as polio and smallpox, improved longevity, reduced mortality from many sorts of causes (including childbirth), made conditions that were death sentences such as diabetes 1, hemophilia, and HIV something that people can live long and productive lives, developed surgical techniques that can restore functionality to people who would have been largely immobilized in prior generations, and a whole host of other things that are objectively observable and verifiable. Alternative medicine has produced nothing but unverifiable stories and claims. It's primary success seems to be in alleviating the swelling of suckers' wallets.

You're putting your faith in an industry that regularly makes all sorts of claims on the labels of the products they sell, then has to put a disclaimer that says, in essence, we don't really mean it.
And btw, your Vioxx example is quite stupid. You do understand that it was scientific research that showed the hidden danger of the drug. Show me anywhere where alternative medicine has actually corrected earlier modality errors, I dare you.

I also double dog dare you to explain where these supposed toxins are stored, what exactly those toxins are, and the actual chemical mechanism by which these magic detoxifiers actually remove the toxins. And no, describing things by using analogies like "it's like detergent" will definitely not count.

You want this argument? Fine, you got it.
Easy peasy, but it's going to have to wait until I get back to a real keyboard.
Old 06-09-19, 10:40 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
The quotation marks around the word science were to show a satirical use of the word due to the drug companies proclaiming to have legitimate research to back up their sales goals. The US version of the BBC news has carried some of the stories about the lawsuits against these companies to recover some of the costs associated with treating opioid addicts, hasn't this been mentioned there?
Ah, I must have misread. I thought you meant science and not rampant corruption in the US medical system.
FYI, if you really wanted to discuss ethical and correct, scientific use of drugs you should perhaps discuss it from the context of a nation with a single payer model and high enough doctor wages to inhibit corruption, as well as a functioning society with low levels of corruption. Scandinavia is a good place for that.

I'll start off with the fact that doctors here don't think opiates are safe for over the counter use or prescribing with rampant abandon. Any doctor can prescribe opiates but, they do not think they should be used without great need due to serious side effects and addiction potential.
On the other hand with the dangers and side effects you get some of the most effective pain medication on the planet, which is crucial for people who are high amounts of pain, terminal cancer patients being one.

But even if science does fail at times due to aforeimplied corruption, it does correct itself and solves a lot of problems. Alternative medicine has nothing like that. It's alternative, because if it worked, it would not be called alternative anymore. Also if there was proof of it working it'd then be science.
Old 06-09-19, 11:07 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
hehehe.

science is not an exact science... didn't you know.

in the US any doctor can prescribe you opioids and possibly opiates just like that. and this is now causing more deaths than cars/guns/actual real drugs combined per year.

Gotta keep the machinery rolling man...

I'm gonna take an mdma/coke/speed sleeping pill soon. its from the doctor.
The rampant corruption in the US medical industry isn’t a science issue is it?

However both MDMA and Speed are amphetamines, which are a class of substances which have been found to be useful for the treatment of ADHD. Wanna know a big symptom of ADHD? You guessed it, insomnia. It’s probably one of the worst symptoms, because sleep deprivation magnifies the other ones.

So ironically, even if you likely didn’t mean it, amphetamine ADHD drugs do work for a certain portion of the population, if not quite as sleeping pills, as sleep enhancers at least.

Cocaine on the other hand uses similar stimulation pathways so it could be considered a viable ADHD drug, IF it wasn’t also incredibly toxic. So that’s likely to be off limits for a long, long time if no one invents a non-toxic variant. There are likely to be other issues with it, but haven’t really looked into it that much. The general toxicity makes it undesirable for medical and thus for further study / consideration at least for me.

When I was diagnosed with ADHD at 30 years-old, I was prescribed methyphenidate, which falls between cocaine and amphetamines in both its stimulant pathway use and effectiveness. It’s pretty potent stuff, or so I imagine. At first it made me sleepy, so much so that I would pass out in the bus.

After the effects subsided somewhat, I was able to go the bed at 10pm and fall asleep when I decided I wanted to fall asleep. Before that I wouldn’t feel sleepy before 12pm and often even if I went to bed dead tired it could take me hours to fall asleep. I was also able to pass the bar-exam in a reasonable amount of time. I could finally study 4-8 hours a day in one to two-hour periods like a normal person instead of the absolute maximum of 15 minutes at a time I was struggling with in law school.

Oh and the big one was that I was able to get away from impending alcoholism. Many ADHD-sufferers who aren’t using meds are substance abusers because it’s the only thing that unwinds the mass of rubber bands inside their chest. Before I was diagnosed the only time I could really feel relaxed was when I was heavily intoxicated from alcohol. Or that’s what I thought it was. In reality being blackout drunk was in a way when I felt normal, like a healthy person would feel. Of course I wasn’t feeling normal because I was drunk, but you get the idea. I was counting days until the next time I could get wasted and my wife was frankly getting worried.

Nowadays the beers in our cellar are going bad because no one’s drinking them. I haven’t stopped using alcohol but I also feel absolutely no need for it anymore.

All of that because of 54mg of slow releasing methylphenidate every morning. Because it’s slow releasing I don’t at any point get the ‘bonus’ effects people misuse stimulants for. Not once have I felt euphoria or other positive vibes from it. But it does make me feel normal, which was a little overwhelming in the beginning.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 06-09-19, 12:34 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
I've lubed a lot of chains and can't remember the last time I got any significant amount on my hands and haven't drank any.
Old 06-09-19, 01:43 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I've lubed a lot of chains and can't remember the last time I got any significant amount on my hands and haven't drank any.
Drinking chain lube is the real problem. It's so tacky it won't wash down my throat unless I chase it with gasoline.
Old 06-09-19, 05:56 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I don't know what part of the sheep it comes from but I suggest it might be lanolin.
I didn't see any reviews of the product, but supposedly you can wash it off and re apply it again, makes me think it wouldn't be too effective in the rain.
Now I know why that sheep on Orsons farm, from Garfield & Friends was named Lanolin.
Old 06-09-19, 06:04 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
No, I wondered if anybody else knew anything about this. I did look online and didn't find anything, but my google-fu, isn't the best. It seems like nobody else has heard this, so I am tempted to go back to the bike shop and ask them about it.

I don't want to name the product unless I get some corroborating evidence. Companies are known to go after people who diss them online. Also it would be unfair to the company if it is not true.

I think I am leaning to the side of there being nothing to it. So I won't say anything more.

If anybody has anything to add about more eco friendly and healthy chain lubes I would be happy to hear it.
I could tell you... but the company might sue me for the fact it isn't chain lube and the use thereof is improper. You know how companies go after people who use their offered goods against how they intended it.
Old 06-09-19, 07:24 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
I could tell you... but the company might sue me for the fact it isn't chain lube and the use thereof is improper. You know how companies go after people who use their offered goods against how they intended it.

No, I don't know how companies go after people who use their products for unintended purposes. I've used many, many products for purposes they were not intended for, ranging from tools to explosives without being "gone after". If anything, YOU might not have a case to go after THEM, if you got injured/damaged using a product for an unintended purpose. You can find youtube full of videos of people using products for unintended purposes.
Old 06-09-19, 07:27 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Originally Posted by FiftySix
Drinking chain lube is the real problem. It's so tacky it won't wash down my throat unless I chase it with gasoline.
I'd think about it if the $hit wasn't so expensive. I can get a good single malt or bourbon for a lot less per serving. I would, in fact, recommend those as a substitute for the gasoline chaser.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.