Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I'm scared of recumbents

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I'm scared of recumbents

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-08, 01:59 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by eb314
I use the path to get to where I'm going, not work out. Now get back on topic.
Yeah right! Now that is a funny joke!
Old 08-21-08, 06:34 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Frunkin
I'm not saying all recumbulators are poor bike (?) handlers, but none of them near me can ride in a straight line to save their lives. And the geometry on some recumbents is pretty whack, like the 20" front 24" rear underseat steering with a short wheelbase.
They are whack, and mine are no exception. While some 'bents don't handle as well as uprights at low speeds, getting them to move properly is simply a matter of knowing how to ride (kind of like a fixie in that respect). If the only bent riders you see have novice handling skills and/or no speed, it says something about where you ride.

One thing that seems to beyond the comprehension of many people is that there are plenty of bent riders who own multiple bikes and put more miles on their road bikes than many who consider themselves roadies.
Old 08-21-08, 06:36 AM
mikesdca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every time I see one of those goofy ass things coming at me on the MUP, they're always swerving out of control going about 10 mph. God damnit.

Roads. Try `em. You`ll like `em.
Old 08-21-08, 06:48 AM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I met a guy who rode recumbents. Really cool dude.

They go real fast. That's my only concern.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 08-21-08, 06:59 AM
mandovoodoo
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In theory, I find them appealing. I've ridden a few with relatively little wobble for a noobie. But I feel terribly invisible, and found them more difficult to get up hills. Most of here is up hills! Were I in a flat area, I'd have a tadpole trike with partial fairing, fitted out at the blinkiville section of fred.com. As it is, I'm climbing or going as fast as I want with a road bike! Up or down are most of my riding.

Scary. Strange to pass, so they're scary. Strange to ride, so they're scary. Feel invisible, so they're scary. I can see that!
Old 08-21-08, 07:07 AM
twocoasttb

Bikes: Seven Axiom SG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once had a guy (with requisite neck beard) on a recumbent following me up the west side of Ebbets Pass on the California Death Ride. What was especially annoying was that he hailed any recumbent passing in the other direction by furiously ringing his bell. I was even more annoyed because I couldn't drop him.
Old 08-21-08, 07:40 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Every time I see one of those goofy ass things coming at me on the MUP, they're always swerving out of control going about 10 mph. God damnit.
Get off the MUP.

See, that was easy.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 08-21-08, 07:57 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by twocoasttb
I once had a guy (with requisite neck beard) on a recumbent following me up the west side of Ebbets Pass on the California Death Ride. What was especially annoying was that he hailed any recumbent passing in the other direction by furiously ringing his bell. I was even more annoyed because I couldn't drop him.
Dropping hammocks is an art form that requires practice. Basically, you get next to them, beat them mercilessly with a motorcycle chain, continuing your pass once they either crash or stop to tend to the bloody pulp that used to be their head. Remember to clean and re-lube your bike after your ride...blood, bits of flesh and brain matter can cause excessive wear and reduce your average speed by up to 2mph.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 08-21-08, 09:11 AM
Kelrod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who cares that he rides on the MUP, that doesn't change the fact that they are dorky.
Old 08-21-08, 09:32 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Originally Posted by mandovoodoo
In theory, I find them appealing. I've ridden a few with relatively little wobble for a noobie. But I feel terribly invisible, and found them more difficult to get up hills. Most of here is up hills! Were I in a flat area, I'd have a tadpole trike with partial fairing, fitted out at the blinkiville section of fred.com. As it is, I'm climbing or going as fast as I want with a road bike! Up or down are most of my riding.

Scary. Strange to pass, so they're scary. Strange to ride, so they're scary. Feel invisible, so they're scary. I can see that!
We have hills (i.e. technically they are mountains, as you have miles of continuous climbing with thousands of feet of gain) nearby. The deal with bents is that you use different muscles than you do with uprights, so you need to get used to them before you'll climb halfway decent. One of the specific reasons I ride bents is to help round out muscle development.

Some of them are heavy, but not all are. For example, the one in the pic below weighs 21 lbs with pedals. I drop roadies in local team kit on long climbs in that thing all the time. On rollers where gain is a few hundred feet or less, I'm actually faster on my bent than on my road bike because I can leg press my way up.

Tadpoles are a bit heavier and slower, but they also can be moved up hills reasonably efficiently -- I'll take mine on steep mountain grades, and I still move faster than a surprising number of road bikes. A few extra pounds on the bike slows you down, but it's still more about the rider than the bike. Because the trike is so funny looking, I find that despite the low profile, you actually attract more attention, people are afraid they'll hit you, and they cut you more speed.

I also have a full Fredsville style fairing that I'll mount in Oct, but that's just so I can run errands around town in the winter without getting soaked to the bone.

Old 08-21-08, 09:37 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelrod
Who cares that he rides on the MUP, that doesn't change the fact that they are dorky.
Dork Level Indicator:
Hammock on mup < roadie on mup
Old 08-21-08, 09:37 AM
talbert

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist, SRAM Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The only recumbent I ever had...sometimes you just gotta move on.
Old 08-21-08, 09:50 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I agree - recumbulators are scary....but I think that has more to do with my deep distrust of old people with beards...

...and professors

....and old Bell helmets

...but as far as the collection of metal and parts is concerned - don't tell anyone, but they are pretty fun to ride.

Old 08-21-08, 10:15 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Originally Posted by talbert

Usually, senior citizens and overweight people gravitate to the delta trike design like you had. Besides, the platform pedals on yours clearly identify you as a Fred. The light weight, the fact that it was a fixie, and the aero front wheel is not enough to make you cool.
Old 08-21-08, 10:25 AM
carlfreddy
Acquiring new target....

Bikes: Trek XO-1, Gary Fisher Rig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I"ve a quick question; Why do 'bent riders still where cycling shorts when they clearly don't need the chamois?

Things that make you go "hrmmm"......
Old 08-21-08, 10:29 AM
Talewinds

Bikes: (2) 2004 Trek 1500, Team Colors:2004 Cannondale Ironman w/ Renn and Zipp: 2005 Kestrel Talon SL: 2001 GT Agressor: 2001 Schwinn Moab: 2001 Specialized S-Works M4 Festina Team Bike: 2002 Pinarello Prince: 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by talbert

HAAHAHAHAHAAAAA! That's AWESOME!
Old 08-21-08, 10:48 AM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carlfreddy
I"ve a quick question; Why do 'bent riders still where cycling shorts when they clearly don't need the chamois?

News flash. Some bike shorts come without chamois.
And baggy gym shorts would ride way up from the wind exposing a bit too much thigh for my comfort as an observer. So baggy mnt bike shorts that have an elastic underneath or regular tight spandex shorts are still better. No chamois in either style.
Old 08-21-08, 10:52 AM
gr@sshopper

Bikes: Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by d2create
And baggy gym shorts would ride way up from the wind exposing a bit too much thigh for my comfort as an observer. So baggy mnt bike shorts that have an elastic underneath or regular tight spandex shorts are still better. No chamois in either style.
yeah, I'd prefer to see spandex. Reduces the chance of seeing old guy junk flapping in the breeze.
Old 08-21-08, 11:02 AM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only place they scare me is passing me at 40 mph going down a big hill. Of course you can make it up on the climb.
Old 08-21-08, 12:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I see a guy on the ARBT most mornings who has a recumbent with a fluorescent green spandex fairing. Kinda like a body sock for the whole bike. He's clearly fast and a good bike handler. But damn, the thing just busts my Fredometer.
Old 08-21-08, 12:48 PM
Kelrod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Dork Level Indicator:
Hammock on mup < roadie on mup
Wrong.

I don't care where the thing is ridden and this is the only way to dress if you are going to ride one:

Old 08-21-08, 12:49 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Originally Posted by carlfreddy

Originally Posted by d2create
Plus, the chamois does help on some bents. When I'm on my trike, I wear shorts without chamois, but I've found that even though the padding isn't in exactly the right place, it still helps if I'm out all day on my highracer which has a hard carbon fiber seat.

Bent riders will tell you their bikes are more comfortable than an upright. My trike is comfortable, but I consider my racing bike more comfortable than my highracer if I'm going to be out for more than 6 hrs.
Old 08-21-08, 12:51 PM
botto 

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
why is it, that every time i see one, the cliché of old men with white beards is confirmed?

took this pic of Super-Fred at an intersection, a few blocks away from my apartment.

Old 08-21-08, 12:53 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Originally Posted by botto
why is it, that every time i see one, the cliché of old men with white beards is confirmed?
You do most of your riding in conditions that aren't too challenging for senior citizens?
Old 08-21-08, 12:57 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelrod
Wrong.

I don't care where the thing is ridden and this is the only way to dress if you are going to ride one:

I dunno, he has the bod of a pro-level roadie!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.