Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Considering two bikes, one last year's model...upgrade fork?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-19, 09:19 PM
Xyrium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Folks,

I'm in the market to move from my old 26" MTB to a hybrid'ish bike. I definitely want the front shock, some riding will still be mild singletrack, and some trails that include a variety of 2-3" rocks, in addition to general fireroad and pavement rides.

That said, I understand a hybrid won't do anything particularly well, but I'm trying to get into one with at least a decent groupset. So, my LBS carries Giant and Cannondale. I tried the Roam 3 and the Quick CX 3. I liked both, both felt good from a handling and geometry perspective, which was important, even though they aren't the models I was seeking. I want either the Roam 1, or the CX1.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/roam-1-disc

https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...3-92b5c4dcdfff

Here's the question. I might be able to get a used 2018 CX1 for under 800, but I don't believe the stock shock is up to snuff. Could I simply just swap in a Recon RL or something similar, or is there something odd about his bike that I don’t know about?

How do you guys feel about this scenario? I will admit, even for my height (short at 5; 8") the Giant seemed smaller than the 'Dale, though both were a size M. That was standing or sitting, with the seat adjusted. Not necessarily a bad thing, but made the Cannondale feel a bit more open, yet still comfy to maneuver. Did I just answer my own question?

Thanks!
Paul

Last edited by Xyrium; 03-29-19 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-30-19, 02:21 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Why not keep the MTB for single track and buy the hybrid for non single track? That way you aldo have a backup. Resale value on a 26" MTB will be minimal.

Those cheap forks on hybrids are useless for single track anyway.

No suspendion is better than bad suspension.
Old 03-30-19, 07:21 AM
Xyrium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I totally agree on the suspension. While one more bike in the garage might not be too much of a problem, I usually justify new purchases to the Mrs. by eliminating any perceived redundancy.
Old 03-30-19, 08:22 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Xyrium
I totally agree on the suspension. While one more bike in the garage might not be too much of a problem, I usually justify new purchases to the Mrs. by eliminating any perceived redundancy.
redundant would be 2 hard tails, or 2 hybrids.... so you are clear to get one road bike, one gravel bike, one fat bike, one FS, and one HT etc.
Old 03-30-19, 03:43 PM
Xyrium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
redundant would be 2 hard tails, or 2 hybrids.... so you are clear to get one road bike, one gravel bike, one fat bike, one FS, and one HT etc.
Now that would be impressive if I could pull it off!

That said, I may end up keeping her, but we shall see....the bike that is.
Old 03-30-19, 04:20 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Xyrium
Now that would be impressive if I could pull it off!

That said, I may end up keeping her, but we shall see....the bike that is.
Addressing your op and generally: the Medium Roam (current frame) is a 'big' bike. I'm 5'8", albeit with very long legs/short torso proportions, but no way I would buy a M Roam; I would buy a Small -- yes, I've test-ridden both sizes -- especially if I were going to be using it on non-technical singletrack.

On the fork question: there is nothing wrong with the fork on either the '19 Roam 1 (U.S.) or the C'dale '18 or '19 CX 1. The Roam's is slightly better: Suntour NCX air, rather than coil spring. The C'dales use the NCX coil. Both versions have proper hydraulic damping, and 30mm stanchions. Both would be more than adequate for 'mild' singletrack.

As to replacement: not with a mtb fork. The geometry of both bikes is set for either a 63mm travel fork (Roam) or 50mm travel fork (C'dale). Putting a mtb fork on either would mess up the geometry, and probably void the warranty (if you bought new). The only realistic fork 'upgrade' would be something like a Rockshox Paragon.

That said, if you are in the U.S., and you are looking for this style of bike, I'd strongly suggest having a look at this: https://www.canyon.com/en-us/fitness...athlite-sl-7-0

Possibly the nicest 'cross bike' (Euro terminology -- 'cross' as in cross-terrain, not cyclocross) available in the U.S. If I were in the States, and not Canada, I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat.
Old 03-30-19, 04:53 PM
Xyrium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Badger. That was the only difference that I noticed, air vs spring, but I hate when springs sound or feel like springs. It wouldn't be an immediate change, just something to consider if it wasn't satisfactory. Thanks for the reminder about what that bike really is not, a MTB. I appreciate you pointing out the geometry change potential had I gone with something like a Recon.

I actually contacted Canyon about their Pathlite 6 last week, since the 7 is out of my range. Still out of stock, but if they pop in, anything is possible! They seem to have great choices in components for their respective price ranges. The 7 being where I really would like to be, but just a hair too $$$.
Old 03-31-19, 05:48 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
To add to Badger's comment about Giant sizes, they do tend to "run big". I'm 6'0" and wear 32" pants. I bought a large frame Roam last year, and it's definitely at the big end. I could also ride a medium comfortably. Moving up to 29x2 tires from 700x38 doesn't help either. I'd like to move down to 27.5 wheels with 2" or 2.1" tires, which would bring the overall tire diameter back to close to stock -- and lower the top tube back down to close to stock.

I have a Roam 2, with the coil sprung NEX. I use it on light trails, but I bought an MTB for the harder stuff. Every now and again, I think about replacing the NEX with a rigid fork, but then I go for a long ride and it's just too comfortable for me to want to change. I have a Satori Animaris seat post now and, between that and the front fork, it's a really nice-riding, comfortable bike. Actually riding the bike suppresses any notion for me to change the fork.
Old 03-31-19, 06:49 AM
Xyrium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's some great info, thanks Hokiefyd. It was odd that I felt as if the 'Dale was the larger of the two. I wonder if they mistakenly gave me a Small frame on the GIant without realizing! It wasn't as if it was tight, just not as roomy as the 'Dale. I should have asked someone to watch my spine alignment while riding, since I wasn't paying attention to it. Perhaps the GIant was actually the better fitting of the two.

I will add that though many praise the virtues of the tubeless setup, I'm also wary of it. I've read all of the articles on this, and there are obviously pros and cons. Plus, who doesn't love a good pinch flat? It's really not a factor in the purchasing decision, but the Giant is tubeless out of the gate. Perhaps it's just an opportunity to try it?

Edit: I also agree with you about the fork, even on roads. With it locked out, it still provides a nice balance. It smooths out the undulations, while still providing enough rigidity for road riding; as long as you're not competing of course. I can't say the same about my rear suspension though. I'm bobbing all over the place, even when it's locked out. That's with it totally pumped up too.

Last edited by Xyrium; 03-31-19 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-31-19, 08:00 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
The NEX fork that the Roam 2 and 3 use has hydraulic lockout, which must provide some bit of damping even when not locked. I have an NEX on another bike with no lockout at all, and it definitely has more of a pogo stick feel to it. I sometimes run my NEX fork on the Roam locked, but it's usually unlocked, even on the road, and even with 29x2 Schwalbe Hurricanes (smooth tread tires). I imagine the air fork on the Roam 1 can only be an improvement over the NEX.
Old 03-31-19, 08:58 AM
Xyrium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep. Though it's old, my Rockshox Recon 351 air is perfect locked out. Just enough extra cushion. I would expect the same from the NEX Air. Then again, as long as it's properly executed, perhaps springs aren't exactly horrible either.