Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Nashbar Reduced Radius Rollers

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Nashbar Reduced Radius Rollers

Old 03-12-06, 07:51 PM
mrchristian
Me.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking about purchasing a set of rollers, since what i've heard is that trainers are really boring (no $$$ so it's one or the other) . I'm currently looking at the Nashbar rollers which cost about $100. Anybody have any experience with this item? Am I seriously going to get maimed on these? Is it possible to watch TV or concentrate on other stuff while riding them?
Attached Images
File Type: gif
NB-R3.gif (66.2 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by mrchristian; 03-12-06 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-12-06, 08:07 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
No.

Old 03-12-06, 08:48 PM
shawnj73
ride on !!!!

Bikes: Felt F2, Cannondale CAAD 8, Motobecane Immortal Force, Intense Uzzi Sl MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are hard to ride. They will help your form though. No TV watching, you find your hands full while on these rollers.
Old 03-12-06, 10:09 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A friend of mine had a version of those rollers back in the late 80's. While it didn't look hard to balance on, he'd had them for a while and was used to them so he could watch tv, converse w/ all of us, drink beer, etc. I asked if they were hard to ride on and he said it was like riding normally.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 03-12-06, 10:41 PM
djbrod
Insomniac

Bikes: 2004 Scattante R650, IRO Mark V, TST /w 2005 Camp. Centaur(RIP thanks to an F150), Specialized E5 TT bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can watch TV. It takes a little practice but it's certainly not impossible. I have to watch TV or I would go out of my mind riding rollers.

It will help your form a great deal
Old 03-12-06, 10:57 PM
mrchristian
Me.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm...alright. Ready to order. Just got to wait for my return (pedals) to get processed so I can get $50 or so. Before I order...if you could have one or the other, which would it be, rollers or trainer?

Oh yeah, another question; will nashbar refund my shipping?
Old 03-12-06, 11:26 PM
P2SL Marc

Bikes: Cervelo P2SL, Motobecane fixed conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the tv on the first time I rode them, though I spent most of the ride looking at the floor. They are really not that hard, after a few rides I was able to watch a movie while on them, though it takes a long time to get comfortable enough to take your hands off and drink, I still sometimes stop for that...
Old 03-12-06, 11:36 PM
PCS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
first time I rode them I had a chair beside me, watched the floor the whole time.

3rd time i was watching movies intermitantly. Now (5th time) no problem watching. Not gonna try the no hands drinking thing for awhile though

That looks like a good price, give a review if you get them!

*edit, I just noticed that you have probably already ordered....I think i'd rather have the rollers, I find my trainer too loud. Now, If I had a quiet trainer I don't know what i'd pick. I don't really like to tune out that much, rather focus on something like technique or whatnot, so I might just have to go with the rollers.
Old 03-13-06, 07:22 PM
mrchristian
Me.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One last question...do rollers eat your tires like trainers do?
Old 03-18-06, 09:24 PM
mrchristian
Me.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered them today...i'll give you guys a little review when I get them.

Nashbar refunded the money for the pedals reallly quickly, even the tax. Very good service.
Old 03-18-06, 10:03 PM
NomadVW 
部門ニ/自転車オタク

Bikes: 2008 Blue T16, 2009 Blue RC8, 2012 Blue Norcross CX, 2016 Blue Axino SL, 2016 Scott Scale, Fixie, Fetish Cycles Road Bike (on the trainer)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rollers can consume your tires, but I don't think as much as a trainer. I replaced front tire in August cause my old one had a tear in the sidewall. I used the same tire throughout the winter on road and on the rollers 2-3 times per week. I didn't notice any more wear than I would have expected.

My plan is replace tires in October and March anyway.
Old 04-01-06, 02:59 PM
mrchristian
Me.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright, here's a short review:

These rollers come in a big box, and shipping is kind of expensive $13.25 and took about 6 business days. First thing about them is that they are really hard to adjust, since you have to unscrew 4 large bolts and move the roller and belt which is hard to stretch. Once you set it, though, it's a big hassle to change, so don't think that you can swap between bikes unless the wheelbase size is exactly the same. I heard that the Kreitlers can be adjusted on the fly, but these were only $99, so hey. The rollers themselves are very nicely built and everything is made from durable aluminum and not PVC, so they will not warp. They're also light and easy to move, so I set them up flat against the wall to save space. Like others in the price range, they don't fold.

Since they are "reduced radius" they are kind of slim and it took me a lot of tries to be able to hold myself in the center and not fly off. Had one pretty stupid crash where I actually broke off a cabinet in my room (with my head...ouch) and I was still clipped in, so move anything fragile nearby (or just be careful). Once I was up and going for the first time, it was far easier after that. All you need to do is lean up against a wall and balance for short periods to get used to it.

As for resistance, I guess I am a lot more out of shape than I originally thought since these things turn me into a sweaty mess in a matter of minutes. Placing an old towel underneath the rollers slows me down to a humble crawl. They run smooth, but do make a fair amount of noise, but I can still listen to the radio/tv easily enough. If I needed more resistance, there is always Branford Bike's resistance unit for $80 which is supposed to work with these rollers, although I am not totally sure:

https://www.branfordbike.com/trainer/train8.html#item3a

They have tons of other accessories for upgrading nashbar units including fan headwind, replacement rollers, belts, ect.

They definately are a lot of fun than any resistance bike I have used and put another variable into riding indoors making them an excellent alternative to a trainer. All you have to get through is the small learning curve, but it is well worth it.

Last edited by mrchristian; 04-01-06 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-01-06, 10:29 PM
mrchristian
Me.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yeah, I can watch DVD's on my computer pretty safely after just a couple tries, to answer my first question. I shall remain holding on with a death grip on the handlebars however.