Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cervelo Soloist Team Insight

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-06, 10:07 AM
tate
Am I not a fly like thee

Bikes: TREK Y-Foil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm curious as to what kind of a set up most you have on your Soloist Team. Could a few of you take a moment to descibe the group that you are using and any upgrades that have made a difference for you?

Any disapointments with the bike?

Thanks.
Old 08-18-06, 10:23 AM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i have the stock 05 centaur and it's won me over to campy 100%. the only disappointment i've had was the easton vista wheelset. i could never get the rear hub to be silent, or even close. i ditched those for some campy zonda wheels and it made a huge difference. the vistas always felt flexy and kinda spindly. one thing i will upgrade at some point is the cervelo branded tektro calipers. they're just ok, a bit spongy feeling and the springs are obviously not stainless or coated cause they flash rust pretty fast.
small gripes, and i'm being super nitpicky, but i'd like to see a barrel adjuster on the front dr, and i'm sure they could come up with a better seatpost/saddle clamp design thats easier to use. however, it's a great reasonably light and (to me anyway) super stiff, super aero frame that handles great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN3404.jpg (89.6 KB, 173 views)
Old 08-18-06, 10:45 AM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I switched from Centaur to Chorus.
I replaced the bar , stem, post with CF.
Switched out the Gossamer cranks for SLKs.
Switched the wheels to Zondas.
Switched the saddle to SLR

The brakes are fine, they are DA copies by tekro, but the pads are not any good. DA pads fixed them.
With campy, there is not need for barrel adjusters.
The toughest part of buying a Cervelo is finding one.

Old 08-18-06, 10:49 AM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The brakes are fine, they are DA copies by tekro, but the pads are not any good. DA pads fixed them.
With campy, there is not need for barrel adjusters.
The toughest part of buying a Cervelo is finding one.[/QUOTE] i'm need to get some good pads then, and no, you don't really need the barrel adjuster for campy, thats true. if i was running shimano i'd probably put on an inline one though.
Old 08-19-06, 01:48 AM
goldfish
the great shark hunt

Bikes: 2005 Cervélo Soloist w/ Campag Chorus (06/07 parts mix), 2001 Cervélo Prodigy w/ Campag Centaur '06, Giant Bowery Fixed-Gear, old steel black '70s bike waiting for FG build, trusty red SS mountain bike waiting for snow-bike build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow.....um.....pretty much +1 to what everyone else said...guess i showed up late to this party, cuz i have nothing else to add.............i've got speedplay Xseries pedals soon to be Zeros(don't want nearly as much float) and i've got white bartape.....tacx tao carbon bottle cages and like a lot of the others i've also got Zondas and a Selle Italia SLR on mine.
Old 08-19-06, 04:20 AM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey guys I am vacillating between this bike and the team Carbon (depending on how much stuff I can sell and money I can save up!!)

was wondering if any of you have tried the Carbon and how it compares?
Old 08-20-06, 06:20 PM
lomoid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the team '06 aluminum- ultegra 10 speed componants.
with my little experience I have to say I'm very satisfied with the feel of the ultegra system- quick smooth shifting with a satisfying click when moving through the gears. I just changed out the seatpost for a carbon one, mostly because of a sweet deal I got on ebay, but it has taken a slight bit of the sting out of the ride.
I'm pretty small and very light so I can't really comment on the stiffness as I'd have to be riding a frame made from twizlers for a bike not to be adequately stiff for me.
and I too have heard the easton vista wheelset is not the best, but i'll need some more miles under me to come to that conclusion on my own.. so far so good though.
oh and I'm a big fan of crankbrothers pedals... I noticed not that many people here ride them but I like to throw in a good word for them when I can.

Last edited by lomoid; 09-05-06 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-20-06, 09:28 PM
njwbert
Cycling Above All

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy 2002 and a 6sp steel frame coverted to fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To pgoat, the carbon frameset is slightly more than twice the price of the team soloist frameset (locally at least). If you want to spend on your frame all out and not get a new one ever (barring crashes), go for the carbon. If you want to spread your money out over the frame, a good groupset like D/A or Campy chorus/record, and nice wheels, go for the team. IMHO what you lose from not getting the carbon frame you can gain elsewhere (except maybe poseur points). I presume the soloist carbon is stiffer as the BB area is massive. I am not strong enough to flex the BB area when I test ride a customer's bike after servicing it.

To the original poster well the team soloist is a nice bike. I work for my local Cervelo distributor. It is a very nice bike, easy to build and set up and rides well. My personal advice is that if you are going to go with an ultegra or 105 10 speed build, upgrade the shifters to D/A. Most of my customers are using the stock setup however and they like what they ride. No complaints on harshness or flexing. I just do not like how the cervelo seat post clamps to the saddle rails as it is a little troublesome to adjust, but that is just me.
Old 08-20-06, 09:51 PM
goldfish
the great shark hunt

Bikes: 2005 Cervélo Soloist w/ Campag Chorus (06/07 parts mix), 2001 Cervélo Prodigy w/ Campag Centaur '06, Giant Bowery Fixed-Gear, old steel black '70s bike waiting for FG build, trusty red SS mountain bike waiting for snow-bike build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njwbert
I just do not like how the cervelo seat post clamps to the saddle rails as it is a little troublesome to adjust, but that is just me.
No, trust me, its not just you!! Its pretty much ANYONE who has EVER had to adjust the seat angle on their soloists seatpost.
Old 09-05-06, 09:30 PM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks njwbert . Obvious;y I need to test drive them .....based on my test rides thus far O prefer the zip of an AL frame to all the CF bikes I've tried. But I am curious to try out the soloists.

lomoid - nice bike!!! I love the CB Quattros. I'm too fat to go with the Ti but the SL is okay for now.
Old 09-06-06, 05:16 AM
velorapide

Bikes: 2006 Cervélo Soloist Team, 2004 Trek 2100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a stock Soloist Team Ultegra with upgrades from Ultegra to Dura Ace derailers and Deda Elementi Newton Stem. I love the bike. A little unusual fit for me. Because the Soloist keeps the same angles throughout all sizes, the top tube begins to become very long in the larger sizes. I have a short torso and very long legs, so consequently I have a little smaller frame due to top tube length with tons of seat post showing to compensate for my long legs. Still comfortable, but I would recommend a professional fit.

Old 09-06-06, 07:37 AM
P2SL Marc

Bikes: Cervelo P2SL, Motobecane fixed conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
teh brakes are the sux0rs.
For real though, Cervelo makes a great bike. The brakes that came stock worked fine for ~3000km, after that the rear was just about useless. This wasn't a big problem though, as my Cervelo is a TT bike and we all know brakes are just silly when TTing!
The Easton Vista's that came with the bike are just FINE! They've stayed true since I got the bike and the rear hub only just started to make noise. Also I raced a Tri on my bike a month ago and averaged 35.2km/hr on them over 90km.
Old 09-06-06, 07:40 AM
Jim Bonnet
Somewhere in CA

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

This is my rig. I bought the frame/fork and put ultegra10 on it. No regrets.
Old 09-06-06, 08:27 AM
odemirmen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
seriously, get the frameset from cervelo, but not a complete bike. do shimaNO or campy, or whatever....that's my advice ('06 team soloist owner).
Old 09-06-06, 09:20 AM
chrisesposito

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist / Cervelo P3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stronglight Pulsion carbon crank + D/A 10 gearing / shifters
Zero Gravity Ti brakes
Easton EC90 carbon bars
Easton Aeroforce carbon clip-on aerobars
2 Fizik Arione saddles and 2 seatpost heads (1 forward, 1 back)
American Classic CR420 wheels w/Powertap SL hub
Cervelo carbon seatpost
Easton EC90 Aero fork
Bebop pedals

The bike is a joy to ride; assuming I get another bonus next year, the aluminum frame goes and I replace it with a carbon Soloist.
Old 09-07-06, 06:42 AM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chris - are you hoping for less weight with the carbon? Stiffer frame? Have you test ridden both?