Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Rides and Events > Eastern Canada Rides and Events
Reload this Page >

Tour Du Lac - one week Lake Ontario circle tour!

Search
Notices
Eastern Canada Rides and Events New Brunswick | Newfoundland and Labrador | Nova Scotia | Ontario | Prince Edward Island | Quebec

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-11, 07:28 AM
rob_g
Classics lover

Bikes: early 90's Bianchi Trofeo, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[ EDIT : This is a copy of the original post and discussion thread at the Wheeling about Niagara Forums, where I am the admin and general rabblerouser.

Since this is a fantastic ride, very affordable cost, I thought posting it here would help people find it, maybe signup and we have more cyclists on the road.

I have registered for the event, and am training, putting lots of basekilometer (miles) to be ready... Roberto.]

I just discovered this fantastic, upcoming event today - in my ride from RCC this morning, two of the riders (Matt Taylor and Dan Toppari) are signed up for it.

* What is it ?

It's a full circle, 7 days cycling tour around Lake Ontario - including both Canadian and American sides. The map shows the stages of the tour :

Total approximately 900 Kms. The daily stages are described in detail in this page.

It's organized by two local service clubs - from their webpage :

Organized by the Rotary Club of St. Catharines South, the May Court Club of St. Catharines and
PerformanceCars for the benefit of the new Niagara Health System Cardiac Catheterization Lab.
* When does it happen ?

In July - July 17th to July 23rd - so, I CAN ride (summer vacation!), and am really thinking of joining!

And there's a 'one day participant' option too, for those who can't take out the full week :

This Tour du Lac ride is not your typical “mass group ride” in that it is centered on a core team of riders who are going to ride around Lake Ontario. The objective is to create a cycling adventure for them that is both memorable and at the same time raises both awareness and funds for the new hospital, in particular the cardiac care facility.

Many cyclists who for work, skill level or other commitment reasons, are not able to partake in the full week’s ride. They do however want to support the cause and the team by participating and riding themselves. To allow and encourage this significant contribution to effort, the committee has created one day ride opportunities on the first day and the last day. These one day riders will be a valued part of the fundraising team and will ride with the core team on the day of their choice, either July 17 or July 23.
* Where do I get more information ?

Details of the event can be seen in their pages here.

There are two aspects or components to the ride. The first and thematic aspect is that of a group, probably consisting of 20 to 25 riders, riding the complete route around the Lake in 7 days. This is a unique ride meant to create a buzz for the cause and a sense of accomplishment for the riders. This will be a physical test and an adventure as it will it include many points of interest ranging from the geographical to the economic and political.

The second aspect of the ride will be the opportunity for those whose work obligations or riding skills might prevent full participation. The event will be designed to encourage individuals to join the first day's ride "out" or the final day's "bring it home" ride. Each of those day's rides will have several jumping off or joining in points to match rider skills or availability. Riders from Rotary clubs along the way could also join the main group on a moral support basis for a segment of their choice. It is anticipated that as many as 50 riders might be added on days 1 and 7. What fun that would be!
* What do I need to participate ?

For the full Tour, 7 day participants :

Would you like to ride around the Lake?

Whereas this is definitely not a race – it is just about the pace – you will need to meet a few basics:
    ...and for the one day riders :

Would you like to do a one day ride on day one or day seven?

Your one day ride will either leave with the group on day one and travel as far as Grimsby or Burlington, or help bring home the group from Lockport, or on our side of the border at the Rainbow Bridge or from the Brock Monument. Your basics are less stringent:
      All riders will receive a unique Take it to Heart cycling jersey, daily supplies and other extras. Accommodation and some meals will be provided for 7 day riders. More details on request.
      * How do I sign up ? Payment ?

There's good information in the pages linked above, see also the Pre-Registration page here - and from it, there's a link to a St Catharines Hospital Foundation page, where the registration process is done.

- Payment is done via credit card at the registration page.

- the cost for one day riders is $75.00.

- the cost for full tour, 7 day riders is only $275.00, and that includes accommodations (motel, dorm rooms, etc, for all nights) plus some extras and a support vehicle to carry our luggage.

* Who is going to be in the Tour ?

The currently registered cyclists have a personal profile in this page. There's 5 names and pictures, but Dan mentioned there's about 8 people already signed up, and they expect to reach maybe 25 participants total.

So, doesn't it sound exciting, fun and affordable ? (think about the accommodation for 7 nights, how much would that alone cost? and you get a jersey too)

* What are the stages of the Tour ?

* More questions ?

(sorry for the dense text above - I condensed various of their webpages into this one post!)

Any questions you have, you can contact Ian Forbes (he's one of the confirmed riders too) at ibbbbs@qmail.com .

You can also call Dan Toppari, a fellow Freewheeler and confirmed Tour participant, 905-227-9288, or email him at ctoppari1@cogeco.ca.

BIG Thank You to Dan for bringing this info to my attention - I had no idea this nice event was coming up, and will almost certainly be participating. Thanks, Dan!

Last edited by rob_g; 05-29-11 at 07:32 AM.