Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Long Cage Tri-Color?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Long Cage Tri-Color?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-13, 03:42 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Long Cage Tri-Color?

I'm building a custom 70's 15-speed roadie and I'm wondering if the Shimano tri-color derailleurs from my spares stash would work on it. This one will have a 53-43-33 triple up front and a huge 14/32 (5-gear) freewheel. Can I swap a long cage onto my RD-6401? If so, what parts do I need?
Old 06-26-13, 03:49 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Hudson308
I'm building a custom 70's 15-speed roadie and I'm wondering if the Shimano tri-color derailleurs from my spares stash would work on it. This one will have a 53-43-33 triple up front and a huge 14/32 (5-gear) freewheel. Can I swap a long cage onto my RD-6401? If so, what parts do I need?
I have no idea but I wish I had one of those to try for myself with a 34T. Let us know what you find.
Old 06-26-13, 03:54 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 911 Posts
You may be able to make a 105 (1055) long cage work on that. I definitely do not know.
Old 06-27-13, 05:08 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
I have no idea but I wish I had one of those to try for myself with a 34T. Let us know what you find.
Your long cage is in the mail at last; you should have it for the weekend.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 06-27-13, 06:44 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Originally Posted by top506
Your long cage is in the mail at last; you should have it for the weekend.
Thank you!

Now when my shipment of free minutes comes in I might be able to finish this bike. I ordered it three months ago from Minutes-R-Us, order 60 free minutes get another 15 minutes free. IIRC, Fedex handles time-content packages as a special case but with no tracking number.
Old 06-27-13, 07:57 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I'll soon be using a Shimano 600 6207 GS like this: https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/...207_GS%29.html

The Shimano 600 6207 GS will take a 32t cog easily. It's not a SIS deraileur, but I'm going to try to use it with an 8-speed SIS indexing downtube shifter. It should be installed by July 10.

I'm using a Deore XT Rear Derailleur RD-M735 on my Trek. This takes a 32t easily and is SIS;

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 06-27-13 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-27-13, 08:09 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,043 Times in 1,880 Posts
Theoretically, you can transplant cages of the same era, as the critical cage attachment dimensions are the same. See attached picture of a Deore XT cage that I grafted onto a 600 Ultegra body. However, you will not necessarily gain all the extra capacity. While you will gain chain wrap capacity, you will almost certainly not gain maximum cog capacity. I didn't. This is because the geometry of the bodies for the long cage derailleurs are different. By using the same body, you not affecting the ratio of downwards to inwards cage travel and therefore the maximum cog capacity will not increase. The only way the graft would cause extra cog capacity is if the cage geomtery were different (i.e. position of the upper pulley relative to the cage pivot), and this is not significantly different, at least in my case. Of course, you can gain the some extra capacity by playing with the B-spring adjustment and wheel position in the dropout dropout, but at the expense of shifting performance. The only reason to graft a long cage is to gain the extra chain wrap capacity to permit installation of wider ratio chainrings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3702.JPG (57.4 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by T-Mar; 06-27-13 at 08:25 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 06-27-13, 12:08 PM
spacemanz

Bikes: Frejus/Bertin/Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I think I have the non-GS short-caged version of that in the basement. It has extreme road rash, but I got some cool anodized pulleys on it, so it was still worth grabbing.
Old 06-27-13, 12:37 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I'll soon be using a Shimano 600 6207 GS like this: https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/...207_GS%29.html

The Shimano 600 6207 GS will take a 32t cog easily. It's not a SIS deraileur, but I'm going to try to use it with an 8-speed SIS indexing downtube shifter. It should be installed by July 10.
Thanks for the responses, guys; sounds like this graft wouldn't be worth the trouble. I'm using friction shifters on this build, so I might try to find a 6207 GS. Let me know how the build turns out. Do any of you guys have a favorite claw adapter?

P.S. - I've got some extra free minutes on my cell phone, but the packaging required would make shipment impractical. I'd be ok with local pickup, though.

Last edited by Hudson308; 06-27-13 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-27-13, 04:03 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 286 Posts
One that goes under the radar is the Exage 500 CX/LX, basically a Deore LX with different graphics. I've run all three on road triples and mountian bikes and there isn't a dime's worth of difference.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 06-27-13, 07:34 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2943 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,503 Posts
IIRC in the 'Tri-Color' era the few triple bikes built around 600 used a Deore or Deore XT RD. RX100 may have been the first "sport" long cage when it came out around '92 with the 105 following a few years later.

I would hunt down an older good condition XT and be done with it.

Also I don't know if your ever tried to replace a cage on a Rd but that spring is a real pain to try and retension.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 06-27-13, 07:55 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 911 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Also I don't know if your ever tried to replace a cage on a Rd but that spring is a real pain to try and retension.
IF you find it after it rolls under the car.
Old 06-27-13, 08:07 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

IIRC in the 'Tri-Color' era the few triple bikes built around 600 used a Deore or Deore XT RD. RX100 may have been the first "sport" long cage when it came out around '92 with the 105 following a few years later.

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
IF you find it after it rolls under the car.
Lol thanks everyone for the valuable info. I've got alot to learn, but that process will be alot easier with the help I get here!
Old 06-27-13, 09:02 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

One day, probably in the next life, I would really like to understand Shimano's terminology. The Tri-Color built around the 600 used a Deore or XT RD, or maybe an RX100 which came out with the 105, except that the older XT would be preferable maybe, if you don't use an Exage or Ultegra or 7400 or 6500 or 6501 which is presumably one better than the 6500, so where does the 500 of anything fit if it is 305 better than the 105, or should that 7200, I lost count. Velobase doesn't help. I just can't speak that language.

How many Shimano employees does it take to invent a new name? It's unknown, they haven't stopped yet.

Oh, and I forgot the deerhead and the arrowhead and the Arabesque, not to mention the 600 and the Dura Ace.
Old 06-28-13, 04:00 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
One day, probably in the next life, I would really like to understand Shimano's terminology. The Tri-Color built around the 600 used a Deore or XT RD, or maybe an RX100 which came out with the 105, except that the older XT would be preferable maybe, if you don't use an Exage or Ultegra or 7400 or 6500 or 6501 which is presumably one better than the 6500, so where does the 500 of anything fit if it is 305 better than the 105, or should that 7200, I lost count. Velobase doesn't help. I just can't speak that language.

How many Shimano employees does it take to invent a new name? It's unknown, they haven't stopped yet.

Oh, and I forgot the deerhead and the arrowhead and the Arabesque, not to mention the 600 and the Dura Ace.
sadly i think i understood almost all of that

exage 500 is better than exage 300, but 105 is better than all of them

Last edited by frantik; 06-28-13 at 04:05 AM.
Old 06-28-13, 06:12 AM
T-Mar

...Also I don't know if your ever tried to replace a cage on a Rd but that spring is a real pain to try and retension.
With all due respect, it takes less than 5 minutes to swap cages between two Shimano derailleurs of this vintage.
Old 06-28-13, 07:18 AM
T-Mar

Don't blame Shimano, blame the American bicycle distributors and, by extension, the American consumer. During the early 1970s bicycle boom the average American consumer couldn't tell the difference between a Peugeot U0-8 and PX10. For that matter, most still can't. They were confused by the fact that several models within a line could carry the same component (or what appeared to be the same component) and that there was such a myriad of component manfacturers represented on one bicycle. The distributors wanted a better method to differentitate between models and therefore make it easier to sell the product.

Shimano reacted to situation, unlike a lot of manufacturers. Thus began the proliferation of rear derailleur models and the development of groups. Of course, to make it easy to tell the difference, you had to have a big model name emblazoned on it. Basically, it got to the point where you had a group for almost every single model (i.e. price point) in a model range, so the consumer could tell difference. If the consumer could tell the difference, they could justify the price differential and just may step up to the higher priced (i.e larger profit margin ) model.

Of course, you also have to make things noticeable when things changed, so the consumer knows that there is a newer, better version. Consequently, each successive generation got a new name. 600 begat 600EX, which begat 600AX. which begat New 600EX, which begat 600 Ultegra, which begat Ultegra and so on.

Shimano's reaction to the consumers' confusion is part of the reason that they became the dominant component manufacturer. Give the consumer what they superficially want and they will buy. Most European companies reacted to late, if they reacted at all. Even into the 1980s, it was hard to tell one Simplex derailleur from another, at least for the average consumer. You still got Simplex derailleurs paired with Mafac brakes and Stronglight cranksets. It was too confusing and when a consumer is confused, he typically gravitates to and buys the simpler solution. Consequently, Shimano prospered and most of the Europeans faded away, with the notable exception of Camapgnolo. They survived on past reputation, but didn't really learn from the experience. They expanded the groups but it was still hard to tell them apart.

The American consumer likes to buy entities. Whether they're buying a car or blender, they don't want to have to been concerned about the quality of each individual componet to make sure they're getting good value. From this aspect bicycles are unique. All the individual parts are on display, subject to scrutiny and concern about their performance. Shimano's strategy of a different gorup at every price point allayed a lot of that concern, as everything matched and the consumer could tell that bicycle A was different from bicycle B, justifying the price difference. The approach simplified things and made the bicycle more of a entity than a mish-mash of apparently unrelated parts. Of course, the system approach also results in improved performance, as all the componets mesh for optimum performance. However, this was secondary to making the purchase decison and sale easier.

It may be hard to remember all the names and their hierarchy but it certainly is easier than picking up a 1990's Campagnolo equipped bicycle where you can't even identify the components or an earlier European model which appears to be a frankenbike. With Shimano you generally have a solid footing and the answer to the level and era can be found with only a few clicks of the mouse.

Last edited by T-Mar; 06-28-13 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-28-13, 01:07 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Theoretically, you can transplant cages of the same era, as the critical cage attachment dimensions are the same. See attached picture of a Deore XT cage that I grafted onto a 600 Ultegra body. However, you will not necessarily gain all the extra capacity. While you will gain chain wrap capacity, you will almost certainly not gain maximum cog capacity. I didn't. This is because the geometry of the bodies for the long cage derailleurs are different. By using the same body, you not affecting the ratio of downwards to inwards cage travel and therefore the maximum cog capacity will not increase. The only way the graft would cause extra cog capacity is if the cage geomtery were different (i.e. position of the upper pulley relative to the cage pivot), and this is not significantly different, at least in my case. Of course, you can gain the some extra capacity by playing with the B-spring adjustment and wheel position in the dropout dropout, but at the expense of shifting performance. The only reason to graft a long cage is to gain the extra chain wrap capacity to permit installation of wider ratio chainrings.
IIRC in the 'Tri-Color' era the few triple bikes built around 600 used a Deore or Deore XT RD.

A few months ago I was wondering EXACTLY the premise for this thread. Was there a 6400 series long cage derailleur that I could use for a triple, and since I'd never seen one- could I take an XT cage and mate it to a 6400 series body?

If I do go back to the idea that I had for my bike build, functionally and stylistically I think the MT-60 Deore would better match the 6400 Tri-Color components.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 06-28-13, 01:53 PM
spacemanz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think someone already mentioned the 1055 series, which is a perfect match on the paint, for the lighter sections of Tri-Color. The Tri-Color dual-pivots match the darker grey, so you can easily mix & match these parts. As far as long cage, I dunno right off if there ever was a 1055 long cage. Velobase knows. BTW, these are the RD 6401 (for 8-speed) and that RD-6207 I mentioned, along with the offending pulleys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
002 (Medium).jpg (99.1 KB, 95 views)
Old 06-28-13, 05:38 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2943 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,503 Posts
With all due respect, it takes less than 5 minutes to swap cages between two Shimano derailleurs of this vintage.
maybe you have more patience than I do, and stronger thumbs.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 06-29-13, 10:26 AM
T-Mar

maybe you have more patience than I do, and stronger thumbs.
This a very simple procedure, requiring less than normal thumb strength. I don't know what your technique is but you're obviously making things more complicated than they need to be.
Old 06-29-13, 12:17 PM
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Look...

I know you like the looks and the 'gotcha' factor that a 600 Tri Color long cage derailleur would bring, and you'd be the center of attention at the next group ride and all, but maybe it's better to stick with something that's designed to do what you want, instead of creating some Cylon-Hybrid contraption that may or may not hold up in the long run.

It's not a sin to mix and match road and MTB components, you know.
Old 06-29-13, 01:26 PM
spacemanz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldskoolwrench
It's not a sin to mix and match road and MTB components, you know.
Another good combo is XTR & Tri-Color. That XTR gray tends to change shades of gray at times, but they still look good (and work like a dream) together.
Old 06-29-13, 01:50 PM
mudboy

Bikes: Ruckelshaus Randonneur, Specialized Allez (early 90's, steel), Ruckelshaus Path Bomber currently being built

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, you can graft a Deore or XT GS or SS cage onto a tricolor rear derailleur without any problems. As it was the local (SE VA) fad to run that setup, I did dozens of such grafts/transplants as a shop mechanic. The geometry of the Tricolor RD kept the cage closer to the cogs, and the long cage wrapped more chain. I think 28t was about as large as we went in the back.

Pete
Old 06-30-13, 10:39 AM
Popeyecahn
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, this is what I was thinking while considering using an idle Ultegra RD-6500 GS with the 7sp 13-34 freewheel I just received. The 6500 will only handle a 28t from what I read and wondered what would be the limiting factor. You have ably pointed this out. On to finding an MTB rear der... Oh snap the Fisher has a clean one from 1988!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.