Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Questions on hosting a group ride

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-15, 07:34 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I am hosting my very first group ride. I have experience in hosting parties and other events, but this is my very first bicycling event I am hosting and have a few questions............
https://www.bikeforums.net/great-lake...labor-day.html

I have done this ride many times and it's an awesome ride, but usually do this on my road bike or mountain bike with nothing but water bottles and a cell phone and do it alone. Since it seems there are actually up to 10 people who might come to this event I decided to instead take my commuter which has a rear rack and frame pump mounted................

I have a trunk bag that I already have a section filled with various tools, patch kit, tire levers, presta to schrader adaptor, small first aid kit, etc. I also want to load up with a spare 700x25c tube, 700x28-35c tube, 26x1.75 tube, spare chain, extra batteries for lights, wet wipes, small packs of tissues, spare gloves, some Cliff bars, and a few other items. The reason behind this is because I want this to be a no drop ride and want to be able to keep everyone rolling even if someone has a flat or minor breakdown.

I have no problem riding a 40 lb heavy duty Huffy on a 50 mile ride and I want to make it enjoyable for everyone who shows even if it's just 1 or 2 people that actually come, but if I am leading this group, I don't want to be riding this loaded up bike if everyone else shows up on racing bikes and I end up being the one slowing everyone down because of all the extra stuff I want to take and the heavy duty bike built for it.

If I take my Huffy road bike, it "only" weighs 25 lbs, has faster tires and faster average speed (15.5 mph compared to 13.1 mph) according to my computer. I did 3 other group rides and a charity ridse with this bike and kept up with everyone else and actually passed many riders. This bike has no place for my frame pump and only has a small saddle bag with enough room for my wallet, keys, phone, smokes, etc.......

Am I over preparing for this? Should I expect everyone who comes to already have their own items for flats and breakdowns? I want everyone to enjoy themselves, but don't want to make my ride unpleasant. I am a strong rider for a large guy but afraid over preparing might be a bad idea.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-04-15, 08:07 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Bring supplies for yourself. Send a reminder email to you potential participants if you're concerned they might not bring their own supplies. No point in setting a precedent where they expect you to babysit them.

Your role as host is to select the route and let everyone know what the route is. I wouldn't expect any more than that. Ride whatever bike you're most comfortable on.
Old 09-04-15, 08:40 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
+1 to greg's reply.
Old 09-04-15, 10:59 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet
I am hosting my very first group ride. I have experience in hosting parties and other events, but this is my very first bicycling event I am hosting and have a few questions............

Since it seems there are actually up to 10 people who might come to this event I decided to instead take my commuter which has a rear rack and frame pump mounted................

I have a trunk bag that I already have a section filled with various tools, patch kit, tire levers, presta to schrader adaptor, small first aid kit, etc. I also want to load up with a spare 700x25c tube, 700x28-35c tube, 26x1.75 tube, spare chain, extra batteries for lights, wet wipes, small packs of tissues, spare gloves, some Cliff bars, and a few other items. The reason behind this is because I want this to be a no drop ride and want to be able to keep everyone rolling even if someone has a flat or minor breakdown.

… I want to make it enjoyable for everyone who shows even if it's just 1 or 2 people that actually come, but if I am leading this group, I don't want to be riding this loaded up bike if everyone else shows up on racing bikes….

Any suggestions?
Captain Bringdown replying here, as I do to other threads of a similar nature, about the question of LIABILITY for the other riders.

For example:

Originally Posted by heymatthew
Hey guys and gals!...

Recently, my wife and I along with her co-worker and some friends, have started a Social Ride. We meet up on Thursdays at 7:30 and ride the neighborhood and usually end up at someones house for some frisbee or a game of cards or the local watering hole or whatever.

We have actually picked up quite a few "members" and our little group of three has grown to a steady 6-8 with more people getting interested each week as they see our "gang" riding the 'hood. I created a little online identity for us to pick up new members and my wife has headed up the Facebook group for it….

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Captain Bringdown replying here.

I’m a decades long cycling enthusiast including as a year-round cycle commuter in Boston, riding occasional centuries, pretty frequent poster to Bike Forums, and I was once hit from behind by a distracted driver on a safe residential street, and off work for three months.

For a few years I have participated in various informal Annual Fifty-Plus Forum “Fun” Rides held around the country. These Rides are almost always held in conjunction with an organized Ride sponsored by a formal, structured bicycle club or other such group, with a insurance indemnification, and requiring a waiver to participate….

Your group seems to be heading towards an identifiable structure with cards and logos, Facebook group, scheduled rides, and inviting new (and less-skilled) cyclists on an organized activity. Perhaps I’m overstating your situation, but have you considered liability issues of such an activity? I’m not a lawyer, but am in a high risk profession for lawsuits.

Along this line, besides legal liability there certainly would be a guilt trip if someone on a ride promoted by you would be injured. FWIW, I’m not advocatin’ against, just sayin’
The first of these several Fifty-Plus Annual Rides was actually one organized by a BF member by himself, DnvrFox who soon realized these liability issues.
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Having personally been involved in 2 lawsuits I have some pretty good knowledge of what happens when a person is injured and a lawsuit ensues. Believe me, it is NOT pleasant on either side, and consumes tremendous amounts of energy, effort and money.

I believe that our proposed 50+ annual ride in Glenwood next year has progressed beyond a simple gathering together into a more formal "ride."

I.e.,
1. We have labeled it publicly as a "ride."

2. I have specifically designated a ride route(s).

3. We have a specific time.

4. I have advertised it widely on BFN 50+. and I believe that other folks have advertised it in other venues, in one way or another.
A usual response to this kind of issue is, "Oh, we are all friends, and no one would EVER sue if they were injured."

WRONG

The problem is, the costs involved in rehabilitiation and medical care are SO HUGE that a person suffering an injury really has NO CHOICE in the matter. Unless they are independently wealthy, or have the world's best insurance, they MUST seek funds from other sources. Take an uninsured emergency room visit. Costs for one day are generally about $12,000.00.

Liability insurance has a 2 fold aspect. One, it protects the person(s) sponsoring the event; and two, it helps assure that the person injured by someone else's supposed negligence can be treated and cared for…

Waivers, if carefully and appropriately written, can be helpful, but no waiver will excuse proven negligent behavior on the part of others...

This is not a pleasant topic, but it is one that must be approached…
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Even if NOT liable, the costs of defending one's self are tremendous. Liability can only be determined by a court. An entity does not have to be liable to be sued. But, they still must bear the costs of defending against the suit, unless proven that the suit is frivolous ...
Old 09-04-15, 11:05 PM
Jim from Boston

https://www.bikeforums.net/great-lake...labor-day.html

I have done this ride many times and it's an awesome ride…
Captain Bringdown again.

I followed your link and indeed it looks like a great ride. I was amused by the name “Ashtabula.” When I first got into cycling with a Schwinn Suburban five-speed, I learned from the semicomedic Anybody’s Bike Book, that my one piece crankset was an Ashtabula type, and there was a town in Ohio of the same name (I am a native of, and then living in Michigan).

However, FYA, I did note that your thread of about ten days duration had 160 views and two replies, both by you. It so happens that I have proposed a Boston Bicycling Weekend as a Fifty-Plus Annual Ride as described in my preceding post to this thread.

As of day 4 of my post, I have had 150 views and 0 replies. A difference is that I have proposed a weekend to include touring around Boston, with accommodations at the visitors expense. This is centered on a Saturday, September 12 Organized and Sponsored Ride/Benefit, with a minimum tax-deductible donation of (relatively cheap IMO) $100.

I have done this over the past two years, with five, and one takers respectively, The Annual Fifty-Plus Rides since 2009, have drawn up to about 10 riders.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-05-15 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-05-15, 06:30 AM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Well all I can say is that is my very first group event and we will just have to see how many show up and how well it goes and then learn from that when making plans for the next event.
Old 09-05-15, 07:39 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Well all I can say is that is my very first group event and we will just have to see how many show up and how well it goes and then learn from that when making plans for the next event.
Yup, don't over think it. Have fun, if others are unprepared, they will learn also.
You could let people know that everyone is responsible for having their own spare tubes, levers etc
Then go ride.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-05-15, 08:48 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Bring supplies for yourself. Send a reminder email to you potential participants if you're concerned they might not bring their own supplies. No point in setting a precedent where they expect you to babysit them.

Your role as host is to select the route and let everyone know what the route is. I wouldn't expect any more than that. Ride whatever bike you're most comfortable on.
Agree 100%. I have done rides with out of town friends and relatives where I did most of the heavy lifting, providing bikes, planning the route, giving out water bottles, even lending out helmets. But if you are just hosting the ride, be prepared, but also encourage others to do the same.
Old 09-05-15, 10:05 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83

This. If the people have ever ridden bikes before, they will most likely be self sufficient. I'd say your role is to know the route and to make sure everyone stays safe on the ride.

When I lead, I usually get a friend or two to help check on people to make sure they're doing ok and to help pull on the front. We also have regrouping points, just in case the group splits up a bit and usually stop half way through to refill water bottles or grab a coffee.

Old 09-05-15, 12:08 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
We will actually be making like 8 or 9 stops because I am sure just like me, the other riders will want to stop at all the covered bridges to take pictures.
Old 09-05-15, 12:18 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I thought about it and you guys are right. I want a great ride for everyone but cannot babysit everyone either. I will be taking my road bike and still be representing Ashtabula, Ohio with an Ashtabula crank equipped bicycle. There is one local girl coming for sure and we can work together on making sure we all stay in a group.
Old 09-05-15, 12:32 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
My opinion coincides, to a degree, with Jim from Boston's. Charge no fee of any kind, promise no services of any kind. If anybody asks, they are welcome to ride along but at their own risk. Ride whichever bike you'd choose if you were riding solo.
Old 09-07-15, 04:59 AM
Jim from Boston

Captain Bringdown replying here, as I do to other threads of a similar nature, about the question of LIABILITY for the other riders.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
My opinion coincides, to a degree, with Jim from Boston's. Charge no fee of any kind, promise no services of any kind. If anybody asks, they are welcome to ride along but at their own risk. Ride whichever bike you'd choose if you were riding solo.
Thanks for the comment; I posted with some trepidation to be considered a real Captain Bringdown (as in ”Captain Bringdown and the Buzzkillers”). A local radio talk show host, and anti-cycling curmudgeon often quotes an axiom by Oscar Wilde that I consider sometimes when taking an action, ”No good deed goes unpunished.”

To the OP, @Johnny Mullett, I’’ll be checking your ride announcement on the Great Lakes Regional Discussion subforum, since today is Labor Day.

…It so happens that I have proposed a Boston Bicycling Weekend as a Fifty-Plus Annual Ride as described in my preceding post to this thread.

As of day 4 of my post, I have had 150 views and 0 replies. …
As of day 7, still only 160 reviews and 0 replies. I’m considering bumping up my proposal as you did yours, but likely will let it pass.
Old 09-07-15, 05:15 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I don't think you're under many obligations, but as the leader it's your job to make sure no one gets dropped and that you have a good route. Preview the route and the expectations. Gauge the abilities of individuals in the group and set a pace or stops for rest and regrouping as you think is best. In addition, you should definitely bring your cell phone and be aware of how all the riders are doing. As a ride host, you have similar obligations as when hosting people at your house - trying to make sure they feel comfortable and enjoy themselves.
Old 09-07-15, 05:27 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked 517 Times in 355 Posts
With this new 50 mile ride, you may get fast and slow riders showing up.

If I have more than 10-12 riders, I like to have a "sweeper" rider. That person will stay right near the back and make sure that they don't lose track of the slowest rider. The group waits at turns until the sweeper shows up. This method is way easier than trying to count riders.
Old 09-07-15, 08:09 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 2,062 Posts
Assign someone to "bring up the rear". possibly print maps of the route with stops listed. A vehicle a phone call and reasonable drive away wouldn't hurt.
Old 09-07-15, 10:25 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
"Corners and Sweeper". The leader assigns a "corner worker" every place somebody might screw up. Sweeper wears a distinctive jersey and doesn't pass anybody. As soon as a corner worker sees the sweeper coming, they can hop on their bike and sprint as fast as they like to catch the main group. Nobody gets dropped and the system can work for riders with varying abilities.

If you are looking for a slow roll, volunteer for the sweeper job.
If you want more of a challenge, be a corner worker, then sprint back and do it again.
Old 09-07-15, 07:06 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Today's Ashtabula Covered Bridge Bicycle tour was my first event. At first I thought we had four riders but two of them had to leave at a certain time and took their own route. So 5 including me showed up, but only 3 did the actual tour. Pete and Patti came from west of Cleveland and I made sure they had a good time. We all met at Jefferson Diner where 2 left. We had a very nice ride with no issues at all........

After the trail and through downtown Ashtabula we ended up at the longest covered bridge in the USA and here is where we got our first official group shot...........

After this bridge we had 31 miles and 7 more bridges to visit............

My neck of the woods.........

My crib...........

Last 2 bridges...........

Thanks for reading!
Old 09-08-15, 08:33 AM
rollwithme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like a fun day! Well done !
Old 09-08-15, 08:43 AM
SpeshulEd 

Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Nice! I enjoy riding bikes in the city, but when I see photos like these, I really miss riding in the country.

Old 09-08-15, 12:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Host pick up the post ride bar tab?
Old 09-09-15, 02:14 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked 3,133 Times in 1,696 Posts
nice pics and congrats on a successful ride!
Old 09-09-15, 05:53 AM
rex615
canis lupus familiaris

Bikes: En plus one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice ride, great pics. Cheers.