Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stoker Seatpost reviews What works

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Stoker Seatpost reviews What works

Old 11-05-18, 09:23 AM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by JMarino
I just looked at the Satori web site and see many different models. Any feedback on the model used? Is it the Animaris?
If this is for your new Calfee, I think you're obligated to use an Ergon CF3. Anything else would spoil the aesthetic.
Old 11-05-18, 09:58 AM
JMarino

Bikes: 2010 Co-Motion Supremo, 2018 Calfee DragonFly Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed
If this is for your new Calfee, I think you're obligated to use an Ergon CF3. Anything else would spoil the aesthetic.
Ha! My wife wouldn't even consider it as an option for the Calfee. This would be for the gravel tandem.
Old 02-16-19, 04:24 PM
FlatSix911

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I have used the Satori Animaris and think it is a great value for the money.
A Full parallelogram suspension with adjustable spring damping for $59.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07113WT58/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=toponlinerevi-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B07113WT58
SATORI - Riding fueled innovation

Last edited by FlatSix911; 02-16-19 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-18-19, 08:35 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
We have a Suntour SP12 on our mountain tandem. We've not taken it off road as of yet as I wanted to get my wife used to how it handles and feels on pavement. so far, she has not complained about it.

I will be keeping an eye out on the Satori ones though as they seem to have a lot of offerings.
Old 02-23-19, 11:47 AM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mtseymour
The Cirrus Kinekt 2.1 (the new version of the Bodyfloat) uses two springs. One supports your body weight and the other spring (at a different angle) provides damping. The Redshift only uses one spring and has no damping. If you don't like bobbing while riding the Thudbuster, you'll be far happier on the Kinekt. The Kinekt with aluminum post is on sale for $200 while the pre-order price for the Redshift is $160. It's a small premium for a superior post that's widely used.

I had a long talk with the guys at Cirrus before buying the 3.1 version and was told the BodyFloat/Kinekt posts do not have "damping" or rebound control. I believe the gist was that they believed the 2 springs were effective in cancelling out excessive bob. However when I suggested it may still be desirable to have the ability to tune rebound rate, they did agree and said this concept is being thought over for perhaps a future model. Give them a call, you should hear the same thing.

The setup is definitely more precisely tunable than Thudbuster and the swingarm/parallelogram action is more subtle than the Thudbuster. Both have preload adjustments and both can be set to provide either a solid foundation level (zero bob) or a free floating experience somewhere between the upper and lower travel limits. In action, the BodyFloat/Kinekt posts are able to provide a plusher, linear travel and the sag tuning (foundation level) does not effect the spring rate, unlike Thudbuster which ramps up firmer very rapidly as the elastomers are compressed.

My wife is only 95lbs and when we tried setting up a Thudbuster LT with the recommended elastomers and various others, we just could not get it to function well at all. At her weight (and on a mtb tandem) the LT was either too off/on (stiff) or too sloppy (soft). We tried every tuning option and finally gave up. Plus my wife absolutely hated the travel path of the LT - she really disliked how it moved her so far backward.

Then we got the Kinekt 3.1 post on our Fandango MTB tandem (a hard tail Aluminum frame) on plenty of rough single track terrain. Incredibly, at those times when I asked my wife how rough it was back there, she always replied "great!". We quickly destroyed a set of rear hub bearings, but to my wife, the ride quality was really nice with the Kinekt 3.1. You've got to be impressed by just how good the 3.1 was in this case. For Linda on the MTB hardtail, we upped the spring set to using a white upper / purple lower and loosened the "platform" somewhat to let float a bit and to maximize the effective travel.

After ruining the rear hub bearings, I decided to switch over to a Ventana ECDM full suspension. That frame is so plush that nobody I know or surveyed online uses a suspension post of any kind. We have a few rides on the ECDM now and agree, in this case no suspension post needed - though I did "cheat" a little in the build and installed a Pave carbon post we had on the Calfee road tandem, installing a Specialized Cobble Gobbler (CGR) on the Calfee instead (post setbacks dictated which post when on which frame - the ECDM has a more laid back seat tube and so the Pave was needed for that setup).

End result of all this... the Kinekt 3.1 is a greatly effective, really tunable post. The "Cadillac" of suspension posts for sure. I can see why Craig Calfee recommends this post, even for his already nice riding carbon tandems. For us the Kinekt 3.1 on the Calfee would be way overkill. My wife was very happy with just the Pave carbon post and is now on the CGR for the Calfee.

Which means... the carbon Kinekt 3.1 post has been laying in the box for months now. Not sure if I'll sell it or hang onto it just in case we go ride some really nasty areas where it could be most effective. If anyone is interested, PM me. We have extra springs for it and the spring cover as well. For any other weight/tuning needs, you can get any desired springs from Cirrus and those are quite cheap considering this is a specialty product.

This pic is the 2.1 post. The 3.1 is virtually the same but has the very long carbon lower tube.

Last edited by twocicle; 02-23-19 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-25-19, 08:40 AM
Stick69

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Co-Motion Supremo

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
We've been using a Specialized Cobl Gobl-r for the past several years on our CoMo Speedster. Stoker is happy.
Did you use a shim? How comfortable are you with a shimmed carbon seatpost, assuming the frame is steel. Problems solvers says not to use their shim on carbon frames and seatposts.
Old 03-25-19, 12:11 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by Stick69
Did you use a shim? How comfortable are you with a shimmed carbon seatpost, assuming the frame is steel. Problems solvers says not to use their shim on carbon frames and seatposts.
Steel makes no difference. The possible issue is that the carbon post is more noble than is the aluminum shim. If the shim/post interface were frequently wet, especially with salt water such as sweat, the shim would corrode. In that event, the post could slip down, however the post itself would be undamaged, being the more noble material. We've ridden the tandem, with this post, in the rain for 5 winters and don't see any sign of corrosion, just as shiny as the day I installed it. I put grease on the outside of the shim and carbon assembly paste on the post. I have adjusted the post from time to time with no issues. So yeah, we're completely comfortable with this post.
Old 03-25-19, 02:25 PM
Stick69

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Co-Motion Supremo

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Steel makes no difference. The possible issue is that the carbon post is more noble than is the aluminum shim. If the shim/post interface were frequently wet, especially with salt water such as sweat, the shim would corrode. In that event, the post could slip down, however the post itself would be undamaged, being the more noble material. We've ridden the tandem, with this post, in the rain for 5 winters and don't see any sign of corrosion, just as shiny as the day I installed it. I put grease on the outside of the shim and carbon assembly paste on the post. I have adjusted the post from time to time with no issues. So yeah, we're completely comfortable with this post.

Thanks for the feedback. I went to a Specialized dealer at lunch and talked to the maintenance dept. They said they would install a CG-R with a shim provided the seat post would stay put without exceeding the torque specs on the clamp. I ordered a CG-R and a 27.2 by 29.8 shim.
Old 03-25-19, 02:49 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by Stick69
Thanks for the feedback. I went to a Specialized dealer at lunch and talked to the maintenance dept. They said they would install a CG-R with a shim provided the seat post would stay put without exceeding the torque specs on the clamp. I ordered a CG-R and a 27.2 by 29.8 shim.
Gotta use carbon assembly paste, but they should know that.
Old 03-26-19, 12:31 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
A few months ago I speculated over on MTBR about full suspension for road tandems and I was mostly shot down. But threads like this one make me keep thinking of it.
Old 06-28-20, 03:48 PM
milktree

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fitlerbend
We presently have a short travel Thudbuster, getting ready to replace it with a Body Float.
It's been a couple years, can you report on how you like the BodyFloat compared to the Thudbuster?
Old 06-29-20, 07:30 AM
fitlerbend

Bikes: TREK Stache 5, 2013 Cannonade Carbon 1, DaVinci In2Ition tandem, RANS Screamer, Giant Expressway 1, 1975 Crescent Mark XX, Tern Link 7, Montague Paratrooper, Raleigh Talus 29, Trek LIFT, Novara Randonee, Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Stoker thought it to be an improvement, however - does not articulate specific reasons. Best description I get is that the Body Float is springy vs. spongy.
Likes For fitlerbend: