Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on a Gates CDX Carbon Drive

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-19, 11:33 AM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts

Was not partivularly 'jonesing' to make this change, but when an unused set-up showed up on my local Craigslist for about $80 off, I thought I'd give it a try.

First the objective: chain and chainrings: 547 grams. CDX cogs and belt: 267 grams, a 280 gram savings.

This does not include the 10 sets of chainring bolts and nuts. I figured since these were to be re-used, it would be a wash .Turns out the existing chainring nuts where not quite long enough to look like they woild give a secure hold so I had to order slightly longer ones. The only ones I could find were aluminum, so inadvertently, I saved another 10 grams or so, whoopie!

Now the subjective: the bike does seem to pedal 'smoother.' Maybe its because the belt does not transmit as much road and chainline rumble as a chain does. The bike also seems to be a bit quieter and stoker also says the bike is smooth.

The ability to lift and move the bike around with no worry about getting a chainring tattoo is nice (Though I know some consider this a badge of honor)

It is 'faster?' That is a real tough one. Though the bike feels smoother, I can't say it feels any faster. I can say that there is definitely more initial resistance when turning the cranks by hand . This is a 'no load' spin. I attribute this primarily to the fact that a chain is much more flexible than a belt. Under load, that advantage may shift and other frictional forces might come into play.

Been using this set-up now for about 300 miles and have not had to readjust the tension, which I would guess I have on the low end of the suggested range.

Installation, except for the chainring bolts, was not a problem at all. Because of the external bearings on the front eccentric, there isn't a lot left right adjustment for chainline, so luckily, chainline was not an issue .

Since we put the belt on about half a dozen people have made comments about it .I suppose that's worth something, isnt it?

The bike is a 2006 Co-Motion Speedster, purchased used.

Joe R.
Old 03-31-19, 10:57 AM
bogriver

Bikes: Land Shark Pro Carbon Tandem, Ventana ECdM 27.5+, Salsa Powderkeg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We have been using the Gates Center Track Carbon belt system for about 7000 miles now with absolutely no issues.

Pros-
Lighter weight
No adjustments needed after initial tensioning
Quiet
Clean

Cons-
Price?
Efficiency, although to some this is debatable, as a chain and sprocket design is on of the most efficient power transfer systems
Field serviceability, cant beat a chain, just carry quick links and a small section of spare chain. With the belt..well..new belt time
Old 04-01-19, 12:55 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
We switched our 2014 Speedster over to belt 3 years ago and have really enjoyed the change. Our other tandem has chain so we regularly experience both. Love what bogriver had to say as their experience mirrors ours. We love the quiet and grease free riding along with the instant engagement with the belt. I don' know how to explain it but you feel the slight hesitation with the chain as all the micro-play is stretched out of the chain on engagement. We did experience a little squeak last summer but he the belt with a little silicone spray and it quieted right down. We are planning some touring and will use the chain equipped bike for simplification but know several are using the belt on their touring rigs with good results.