Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Suspect Identified in NC Hit and Run!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-19, 06:56 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Great work by the Winston-Salem police department!! It’s just a matter of time before the suspect is found.

Robert remains unconcious.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.jou...8a967.amp.html
Old 04-04-19, 07:30 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Nice!
Old 04-05-19, 07:55 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,975 Times in 565 Posts
Glad it looks like they identified the offender, but this infuriates me:

"On an unrelated matter, Lucas has a court date in Wake County on April 26 for charges of driving while impaired and driving with a revoked license, misdemeanor possession of marijuana and resisting a police officer, court records show. Lucas was arrested in Wake County on March 10 and registered 0.20 in blood-alcohol content. Under North Carolina law, a person is considered legally impaired with a 0.08 blood-alcohol content."

<On soapbox>

The law should be changed so that the punishment for hit and run is no less than the punishment the offender would receive were they found to be DUI when the collision occurred. Anything else encourages the offender to hit, run, and hide long enough to sober up. That is NOT ok.

<Off soapbox>

Old 04-05-19, 08:07 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I hope the rider recovers. I also hope the driver actually gets convicted and does time. That would be a nice change.
Old 04-06-19, 08:21 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
The law should be changed so that the punishment for hit and run is no less than the punishment the offender would receive were they found to be DUI when the collision occurred. Anything else encourages the offender to hit, run, and hide long enough to sober up. That is NOT ok.
Absolutely the laws should be changed; however there will still be many dodges like "I didn't realise that I hit something", "I thought I hit an animal, pothole, etc." The other thing is intent. Perhaps a change in the law would strengthen the concept of intent so that running away more clearly shows that the driver intended to avoid prosecution. Even so, jail time, revocation of license, fines ... don't seem to be much of a deterrent to some. I think the courts need to consider redefining "cruel and unusual punishment" so the driver gets a taste of what he did to the victim.

Every day while I'm riding, I have to trust other road users to be competent in their abilities and compliant with laws and conventions. These kind of stories are really eroding my trust to the point where I don't like riding on public roads much anymore.
Old 04-06-19, 07:42 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Glad it looks like they identified the offender, but this infuriates me:

"On an unrelated matter, Lucas has a court date in Wake County on April 26 for charges of driving while impaired and driving with a revoked license, misdemeanor possession of marijuana and resisting a police officer, court records show. Lucas was arrested in Wake County on March 10 and registered 0.20 in blood-alcohol content. Under North Carolina law, a person is considered legally impaired with a 0.08 blood-alcohol content."

<On soapbox>

<Off soapbox>

If he shows up for the April 26 court date he’ll be arrested for the hit and run. If he doesn’t show up he’ll face even more charges for failure to appear. It will be interesting to see what he elects to do.
Old 04-06-19, 07:54 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Great work by the Winston-Salem police department!! It’s just a matter of time before the suspect is found.

Robert remains unconcious.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.jou...8a967.amp.html
I'd read that but I object to answering a survey to continue. Do you have another source?
Old 04-07-19, 05:42 AM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
I'd read that but I object to answering a survey to continue. Do you have another source?
Try this Hit & Run
Old 04-07-19, 02:25 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,051 Times in 1,173 Posts
And this:

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...507278641.html

Dave was one of the folks who got the 5 Borough Bike Tour in NYC going. They still haven’t found the vehicle or driver and I suspect the local police, a small’ish department, may not be pushing or have the resources to follow up. In theory a death such as this involves the county detectives, but there’s been no follow up of any kind reported.

He was a very experienced rider out on a Sunday morning on what is typically a very quiet road, 3 lanes each direction, so plenty of room. The local school had a video capture and no real traffic going on, just one mini-van in the video.

Sad
Old 04-07-19, 08:11 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by ctpres
Try this Hit & Run
And this driver has killed the family business as well (dance studio). Insanity.

Horrible news but thank you for the alternate link.
Old 04-07-19, 10:56 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Hopefully he spends a long time in prison when caught.
Old 04-08-19, 06:24 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
ONLY 2 ways to stop "HIT and RUN (actually drive off)

Prison for life or Potter's Field