Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Looking for a bike for college

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Looking for a bike for college

Old 04-06-19, 10:45 AM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts
What terrain, location, and distance?
I'm assuming you store it indoors?
Is it somewhat flat?

When I was in Denver, the roads were pretty good.
Sure, there were pot dispensaries every few blocks, but far less potholes than Oakland.

Personally, I love my Brompton (great fold, decent ride).
FWIW, I'm 203 lb and 5'8. I used to do judo, so the weight is easy.
Previously, I used a Xootr Swift (great ride, okay fold--fits perfectly behind a door).

In your shoes, I'd heavily consider a Bike Friday...possibly used.
Hard to tell without your dimensions.

Any physical limitations?
Old 04-07-19, 09:07 PM
Lydah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
(1) Weight is non issue. Lifting a heavy folded 30# bike upstairs is good exercise. Exercise is good. Make sure you alternate arm each day.

(2) I knew a guy with a Brompton for a few years. He told me he was getting tired of small wheels. And was seriously thinking of selling it for a 20" FB.

(3) I think FB is ideal for shorter people. Full size bikes are designed for taller persons...when they shrink it to fit short folks, the downsize messed things up...like handing and toe strike. FB seems to be designed for the average Asian, whom are shorter. So, that ends up being perfect for us shorter people.

(4) My Dahon Boardwalk is not twichy at all. In fact, it's my most stable bike, even more stable than my full size bikes. My Boardwalk is the only bike that I can ride hands off the bar. And I have bombed down bridges and overpasses at insane high speed, and my Boardwalk is very stable even at such speed.
the harder part for me is not weight, its size. i could lift 30 pounds around, i cant lift a bike everywhere while its smacking my calves or knees and banging on the stairs threatening to unfold with a weak magnet clasp

but also, lighter is better for the type of travel ill be doing
Old 04-07-19, 09:22 PM
Lydah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i thought OP wad young college student...so lifting workout shouldnt be big deal. heck, at any age workout with weights is not a bad thing
​​​​​.

​​​​​​im just saying OP shouldnt automatically assume a 16" bike will be much ligjter than a 20".

i also got impresdion OP was talking about having ridden 20 miles to school, with hills. long distance like that...i d want to stretch out more, lower bars, and bigger wheels.
​​​​​​
another thing is that some building custodians may enforce rules like nazis and not allow bikes inside. so even if yur advisor are okay. building people might balk, and overrule yur professors on matters of facilites maintence n safety. just fyi.

​​​​​​
i like to think im young too (im 27, still pretty young but not fresh out of highshool), unfortunately i just have several mental disabilities that made my first run a bit of a failure

im really, really not concerned about whether or not i can bring my bike inside, maybe im just cocky but this had been something ive gone through and sorted out before, i get a little bit of a special ruleset with things in my IEP, its a non issue, and not something that i havent thought about already
Old 04-08-19, 09:36 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I totally understand the depth of the bike in your arms issue. I actually used a Brompton carry handle on my pakiT at first, because it's a cool idea, but I found it made me carry the bike too low and kept smacking myself on it in the legs. Now I carry the pakiT at the main tube (the way you're supposed to) and it's very light so my arm is easily at a 90 degree angle while I carry it - bike tires barely go below my waist and no smacking around. I used to have a 700c wheel bike and I would literally hit every step going up to the Bart trains, lol. Just a suggestion - call Bike Friday. If there is a pakiT owner anywhere near you, they will have a record; BF calls owners and asks them to allow potential buyers to take their bikes out for test rides. It takes maybe a week for them to set you up with a test. Not only could you then ride the bike (probably in a slightly heavier configuration than what you would build) but you can fold and carry it. For me, I found the super light weight and quick fold just perfect. Bromptons and Dahons are meant for rolling while folded more than for carrying. Oh, and congrats on going back to school and not giving up. You've got this!!!
Old 04-08-19, 12:23 PM
Lydah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
I totally understand the depth of the bike in your arms issue. I actually used a Brompton carry handle on my pakiT at first, because it's a cool idea, but I found it made me carry the bike too low and kept smacking myself on it in the legs. Now I carry the pakiT at the main tube (the way you're supposed to) and it's very light so my arm is easily at a 90 degree angle while I carry it - bike tires barely go below my waist and no smacking around. I used to have a 700c wheel bike and I would literally hit every step going up to the Bart trains, lol. Just a suggestion - call Bike Friday. If there is a pakiT owner anywhere near you, they will have a record; BF calls owners and asks them to allow potential buyers to take their bikes out for test rides. It takes maybe a week for them to set you up with a test. Not only could you then ride the bike (probably in a slightly heavier configuration than what you would build) but you can fold and carry it. For me, I found the super light weight and quick fold just perfect. Bromptons and Dahons are meant for rolling while folded more than for carrying. Oh, and congrats on going back to school and not giving up. You've got this!!!
ive definitely decided that i want to go for bike friday, but after messing around with the website ive also fallen in love with the new world tourist models lmao

I'm kind of torn now because the pakit does seem more portable but the dimensions are very similar folded as the nwt, and the nwt seems to be a bit more versatile which would be great for my grocery runs and such, while still having the belt drive and internal hub
Old 04-08-19, 01:04 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
New World Tourist folds poorly. In fact I would say that it would be acceptable if you were never to fold it or were never to carry it if you actually were to fold it.
Old 04-08-19, 01:06 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by Lydah
ive definitely decided that i want to go for bike friday, but after messing around with the website ive also fallen in love with the new world tourist models lmao

I'm kind of torn now because the pakit does seem more portable but the dimensions are very similar folded as the nwt, and the nwt seems to be a bit more versatile which would be great for my grocery runs and such, while still having the belt drive and internal hub
Well, I had an NWT before my pakiT. No, it's not as portable...the wheels are 20" so there is a dimensional difference you'll notice when you carry it, and there is a weight difference (my NWT sized small was 24 lbs with light components and no accessories). The fold on the NWT doesn't work nearly as well for multi-modal as the rear triangle does not lock in place so you have to run a velcro strap, and the stem/handlebar doesn't attach so you have to velcro it on as well. Not something you'd want to fold every day a few times. Great touring bike, though! As for grocery shopping...my solution has been the Burley Travoy. It's a super light fantastic trailer that actually folds up in a tiny square when you aren't using it. I've even folded my pakiT and strapped it on to roll, haha. It tracks fantastically so I sometimes have to look back to make sure it is still there - no drag at all. I'm able to do a pretty decent Costco run with my pakiT and travoy. here's a pic of my bike with trailer. I no longer have a car so my pakiT+trailer are my car. There are lots of cool bags you can get for the trailer to facilitate shopping or going to work or whatever. Waterproof cover available too.

Last edited by linberl; 04-08-19 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-08-19, 01:10 PM
linberl

BF, you pay custom bicycle prices.
OP says she isn't too concerned with pricing, just getting exactly what she needs and wants.
Old 04-08-19, 01:16 PM
linberl

I am wonder if some people are not better off with a 20" mini velos (non Folding bike).
For some people that's a great solution. I actually looked for one as my second bike, but they are hard to find in the US. For a bike you will lock up and not take on public transit often, they are terrific. But some folks need to fold. I would never lock up an expensive bike so it has to fold. An inexpensive mini velo or my Dahon Mu Uno, no problem. I could handle the loss if necessary (but I'd be sad). some of the mini velos are incredibly cute, too, imo, lol. But it's easier for a short person to carry a folded bike than a mini velo up stairs.
Old 04-08-19, 03:34 PM
Lydah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Well, I had an NWT before my pakiT. No, it's not as portable...the wheels are 20" so there is a dimensional difference you'll notice when you carry it, and there is a weight difference (my NWT sized small was 24 lbs with light components and no accessories). The fold on the NWT doesn't work nearly as well for multi-modal as the rear triangle does not lock in place so you have to run a velcro strap, and the stem/handlebar doesn't attach so you have to velcro it on as well. Not something you'd want to fold every day a few times. Great touring bike, though! As for grocery shopping...my solution has been the Burley Travoy. It's a super light fantastic trailer that actually folds up in a tiny square when you aren't using it. I've even folded my pakiT and strapped it on to roll, haha. It tracks fantastically so I sometimes have to look back to make sure it is still there - no drag at all. I'm able to do a pretty decent Costco run with my pakiT and travoy. here's a pic of my bike with trailer. I no longer have a car so my pakiT+trailer are my car. There are lots of cool bags you can get for the trailer to facilitate shopping or going to work or whatever. Waterproof cover available too.
that is a fantastic idea, and thank you for sharing your experience with both models

i cant drive, so its nice to see that you can use this as your "car" as well, thats how i also use my bikes

the trailer looks fantastic, and looks like i could handle larger, and bulkier loads than i could with a couple standard panniers, ill definitely look into that
Old 04-08-19, 04:23 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
i like to think im young too (im 27, still pretty young but not fresh out of highshool), unfortunately i just have several mental disabilities that made my first run a bit of a failure

im really, really not concerned about whether or not i can bring my bike inside, maybe im just cocky but this had been something ive gone through and sorted out before, i get a little bit of a special ruleset with things in my IEP, its a non issue, and not something that i havent thought about already
Actually, that's about the average age of the college student. Are you returning to enhance your career or change to a new one? If you don't mind my asking. I was just asking because I was curious as I encourage people (of all ages) to do similar.
Old 04-08-19, 04:55 PM
Lydah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Actually, that's about the average age of the college student. Are you returning to enhance your career or change to a new one? If you don't mind my asking. I was just asking because I was curious as I encourage people (of all ages) to do similar.
im going in to try and get an actual career, im hoping to become a grade school teacher. right now i just work retail jobs which is incredibly unfulfilling to me (not to mention the mediocre pay even in management).

i have high functioning autism, sensory integration dysfunction, and when i first got out of highschool i had some terrible anxiety and executive functioning issues that didnt get me anywhere in school. over the last 8 years ive learned to manage things drastically better than before and i i feel like im in a place where i can give it another try and actually succeed
Old 04-08-19, 06:51 PM
dahoneezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
All the best for your future endeavours OP. Buy that Pakit and go climb them hills!!! Keep at it until you reach the peak.

p/s - I'm dreaming of my own Pakit ... in robin egg blue ... sigh ...
Old 04-08-19, 08:12 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by dahoneezz
All the best for your future endeavours OP. Buy that Pakit and go climb them hills!!! Keep at it until you reach the peak.

p/s - I'm dreaming of my own Pakit ... in robin egg blue ... sigh ...
How about blue n red? Great price...https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik...858819874.html
Old 04-09-19, 01:32 AM
dahoneezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
​​​​​​​Ha ha linberl. You are surely the Pied Piper of Pakit. Leading everyone to a Bike Friday. That red and blue Pakit sure is pwetty. Unfortunately, it will be a long long time for me to squirrel away enough nuts for another bike.
Old 04-09-19, 09:01 AM
linberl

Well, you know, when you find something you love you want to share it with everybody, lol. Plus, I want that pakiT sold so I am not tempted to buy it for my adult son as a surprise gift, I don't need to spend the $ either right now, but it's such a great price..... save me from myself, ha!
Old 04-09-19, 08:30 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 44 Posts

I would probably recommend the pakit in your case.

Fwiw, I was seriously tempted to get a pakit too but:
1. Need to lose weight to use the delux lightweight option
2. Found the brompton at a great price in a moment of weakness
3. Like biking slowly, upright, with a basket
Old 04-10-19, 09:03 AM
Mcarto

Bikes: Tern Link A7

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
As my experience from Dublin, nobody is trying stell bike if has not business from it.
Many years I was driving to my jobs on a trekking bike, leaving it in a bad area and newer was no problem. My bike was great for me but didn't look perfect - was second hand. I locked this bike in a solid heavy chain, past few days I started leaving this chain with lock after my work for all nights and weekends in bike park due weight.
When I lock this bike was possible only to steal saddle and front wheel. Booth didn't look perfect - the saddle was little cut, wheel got rust and my stickers so nobody interesting with it.
If you collect saddle and pedals and lock bike with a good chain or U-lock nobody will be interesting.
Old 04-10-19, 09:22 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by Mcarto
As my experience from Dublin, nobody is trying stell bike if has not business from it.
Many years I was driving to my jobs on a trekking bike, leaving it in a bad area and newer was no problem. My bike was great for me but didn't look perfect - was second hand. I locked this bike in a solid heavy chain, past few days I started leaving this chain with lock after my work for all nights and weekends in bike park due weight.
When I lock this bike was possible only to steal saddle and front wheel. Booth didn't look perfect - the saddle was little cut, wheel got rust and my stickers so nobody interesting with it.
If you collect saddle and pedals and lock bike with a good chain or U-lock nobody will be interesting.
Different world - even beater bikes get stolen over here. Because they get chopped up into parts and they can still make money off them.
Old 04-10-19, 12:24 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Mcarto
Now you know anecdotal experience are the worst examples possible. My first two stolen bikes were piece together clunker rust buckets not worth the time and energy it would take to cut the lock. Or so I figured. It just doesn't work that way.
Old 04-10-19, 12:31 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Now you know anecdotal experience are the worst examples possible. My first two stolen bikes were piece together clunker rust buckets not worth the time and energy it would take to cut the lock. Or so I figured. It just doesn't work that way.
Maybe they're more selective in Dublin, lol!
Old 04-11-19, 05:24 AM
Mcarto

Bikes: Tern Link A7

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
LOL didn't expect it. But may have to sense, Ireland is small country with a small market. Second-hand bike parts market almost not existing - everybody know everybody. Bikes are stealing usually by junkies or teenagers.
Old 04-11-19, 09:27 AM
linberl

Ah, well in the US it's big business. There's a whole expensive bike theft market and then there's also the homeless folks who take bikes to get around and take parts to keep their clunkers moving. If it's not nailed down, you'll lose it. My son had one bike stolen out of his apartment. My next door neighbor lost TWO really expensive bikes out of her locked garage. It's one major reason I went to a folding Bike Friday that I can carry - because if it's in my hand it won't get stolen.
Old 04-11-19, 02:32 PM
linberl

Sitting upright is hard to ride longer distance. It puts too much pressure on the knees and overwork the quad muscles...and could create injuries.

Leaning forward like (55 deg) allow the powerful gluts muscle to do most of the work, so you don't injury yurselves.
Yes but for proper fit you should be leaning forward for the right reasons, not because the distance between the seat and bars is way too long for you, lol. Fit is complicated and there are many aspects to consider.
Old 09-09-19, 08:19 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by MadeleineSoren
Agree with you. I am a student and have already stolen my bike several times!
That sucks. Bike thieves are the worst. Sorry that happened to you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.