Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Can someone update me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-19, 10:21 PM
Axiom
Fat Cyclist

Bikes: '11 Cannondale SuperSix Dura-Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can someone update me?

Hey y'all, it's been a few years since I've been active on here, as well as on the saddle. Currently out of the loop on technology, gear, and the whole shebang.
I accepted a position as a LEO, and getting back in to the same shape or better than I was in the academy is my goal. Currently doing a powerlifting routine, as well as
HIIT on the treadmill, but cycling has always been a passion. It's great cardio, and much easier on my joints. Carrying 30lbs of gear on top of my overweight body.. it probably would do some go to give my joints and back a break.

I currently have a beater bike that I used as a "DD" for gym runs/commuting. It's a 2007 Giant Defy with worn sora components. Torn if I should bring it back to life (bar tape, cables, tires, new gruppo?, saddle),or pick something up used and ready to go. I can wrench, but I no longer have my tools. The wheels are less than 30 spoke, and while new, probably won't hold my weight.

Any links, advice to training programs with the bike, deals, and everything related send my way.

Height: 5'11
Weight: 315

Many thanks!
Brandon
Old 04-17-19, 07:14 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
I'm guessing that even a used (similar) replacement would cost more than fixing your current bike & getting stronger wheels, maybe like what they use on tandems? you don't have to do the work, bring it to an LBS with the list of what you want done. but maybe bring your own wheels that you buy from another source so you don't have to pay a big markup?
Old 04-17-19, 12:13 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
Worn or worn out? Big difference.

Shifters, I can almost guarentee are fine.

Front derailleur, probably fine.

Rear derailleur, maybe not fine. It's worn when the pins & linkage get sloppy. It takes a long time & a lot of neglect to actually wear one out. Take the chain off. Extend it manually to it's largest gear position. then see if the cage has any excessive inboard/outboard slop. It's probably fine and will be for a long time.

While the chain is off, give the crank a spin. It should be buttery smooth. If not, bottom brackets are ~$20-$25

Reinstall the chain. Get a chain gauge. Put the chain under tension and check it a few places. Chains are inexpensive. Replace if needed.

That leaves the cassette & rear wheel. If the chain was fine, & there is no shifting issues, the cassette is probably fine too.

The rear wheel. You probably don't need a complete wheel set. unless the front is an exceedingly low spoke count. I would think 28 and up is plenty suitable for your weight. The rear wheel has the most weight on it & at 315 pounds I think 32 spokes is plenty. Especially if you "ride light." A lot of people have 50 pounds in their panniers and racks on 32 spoke wheels & do fine. And that stuff is solidly attached with no suspension. The rear wheel takes the full brunt of any impact.

So a 32 to 36 spoke rear wheel if it makes you feel better ought to be all you need.

As always, inspect your bike regularly.

Last edited by base2; 04-17-19 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-17-19, 07:42 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
If by "worn" you mean chain and cassette, that's an easy, inexpensive fix. Maybe some new shift cables to really spruce things up.

You can probably still find a brand new Shimano 105 groupset for $350 or so from one of the british joints if you really want to upgrade but ... odds are you just need to do some riding.