Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is this an ‘83 Pinarello Super Record Speciale? Help please!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-19, 01:21 AM
Mtbvip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am pretty sure the paint is not original, as I have not seen this colour selection on any other Pinarello frames.
Of note is the chrome fork (non-aero type used before the Montello arrived). Front derailleur braze on.
As I have gathered PC holes on dropout suggest 83’ or earlier.
Also interesting is the tab on the top tube normally used to attach a racing number, suggesting the bike was used for competition.
Frame seem to be SL tubing (no rifling/spiral markings inside seat tube).
There are no Pinarello panto markings where the chainstays meet the BB shell - does this mean it cannot be a Super Record?
Any advice/insights would be much appreciated!

Last edited by Mtbvip; 04-21-19 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Add text
Old 04-21-19, 02:55 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Wow, nice find. I think seeing that it has a number tab it kind of stands outside of the catalogue offerings, maybe a custom job for a rider or team that may explain the colour scheme.

So you may not be able to pin it down to a model, but it looks s lot like a Super Record sans BB gusset ‘bird’ panto’s.

Has as it got a serial number? (Not that they are ever helpful, but just curious.)
Old 04-21-19, 03:06 AM
Mtbvip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
Wow, nice find. I think seeing that it has a number tab it kind of stands outside of the catalogue offerings, maybe a custom job for a rider or team that may explain the colour scheme.

So you may not be able to pin it down to a model, but it looks s lot like a Super Record sans BB gusset ‘bird’ panto’s.

Has as it got a serial number? (Not that they are ever helpful, but just curious.)

Thanks for the reply! The serial number on the BB shell is D964
Old 04-21-19, 03:20 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Yeah, that fits in with the early 80’s serial number format, so no surprises there.
Old 04-21-19, 06:20 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Not a Super Record Speciale. Looks like a modified Treviso.
Old 04-21-19, 10:51 PM
Mtbvip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Not a Super Record Speciale. Looks like a modified Treviso.
Thanks for the reply T-Mar. What makes you think it is a Treviso rather than a Super Record? The chrome chainstays and fork is what made me thought it wasn’t a Treviso.
Old 04-22-19, 08:11 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
You mentioned it in the original post. The Super Record Speciale used the "microfusione" (i.e. investment cast) bottom bracket shell, which yours does not have. Things like chrome plating and brazed-on fittings are frequently tailored to customer or distributor preference but during the Portacatena era it was the "microfusione" that separated the Super Record Speciale from the Treviso.
Old 04-22-19, 10:19 AM
Mtbvip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
You mentioned it in the original post. The Super Record Speciale used the "microfusione" (i.e. investment cast) bottom bracket shell, which yours does not have. Things like chrome plating and brazed-on fittings are frequently tailored to customer or distributor preference but during the Portacatena era it was the "microfusione" that separated the Super Record Speciale from the Treviso.
Thanks T-Mar. Sounds like you know your stuff! That may explain why there are no Pinarello logo on the top where the BB bracket meets the chainstays.
I am however a bit confused about the BB shell based on the following :
- The Pinarello Montello ridden by Battaglin in 1981 had the exact same type of BB shell as my bike. That would mean that Pinarello had to have started using new BB shells in 1982/1983 for the Super Record?
- There have been Super records listed for sale in the past with the exact same BB shell (https://www.steel-vintage.com/pinare...al-1983-detail). It may be that these websites were mistaken in their identification of the bicycle however.
Although I would be a bit disappointed if the frame is not a Record, I would much rather have certainty on the exact model, even if it is not a Super Record.