Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Test-riding recumbents

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Test-riding recumbents

Old 06-12-18, 03:21 PM
androka

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a used bent (Bacchetta Giro 20) to see if I would like it, was around $800 but it great shape so I knew i could resell. Then I bought a Grasshopper from the same guy to test out (much more expensive but I knew I was "bent committed"). Now I'm going to sell them both and buy a new Bent. I'm in the Bay Area and we have two shops that let you test drive, that helped get me over the first hurdle, but really you just need to buy a used one and ride it for a month before you'll know....
Old 06-20-18, 11:58 AM
superj

Bikes: lighting cycles phantom, p-38, and a bike-e ct

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started on a bachetta strada, which looks just like that blue one in the pic above. it was great and comfortable because I had the same seat but I had a hard time reaching the ground without sitting up. it got old on city rides or starting on hills. I have since changed to 20/26 and a 20/700 and love them. one is a touring bike, a lightning cycles phantom, which is awesome. but, it is a touring so I rode with the fastest groups around town but I knew there was a faster bike. this lead me to purchase a lightning cycles p-38 which is a well known recumbent in the touring and race worlds. it was totally worth waiting and getting. I love it as much as my phantom.

unfortunately, p-38s are hard to find used and expensive. phantoms are not as hard to find or expensive but still not easy.

I like the smaller front wheel because its easy to put your feet down and you can easily mount/dismount them. the 26/26, 650/650, and 700/700 required me to lean the bike to get on and off. I am 5'8" but I noticed the same issue for everyone else riding those types of recumbents.
Old 06-20-18, 01:40 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Originally Posted by rbk_3
Unfortunately, it flares up my pelvic pain just like my DF bike I really should of driven down to Bicycleman like I was thinking of doing for a test ride.

I just did a 10k ride on the trainer and a quick ride around the block. I may have to end up selling it with out even taking it for a real ride. It’s been 9 months since the pelvic pain started on my DF and I haven’t been able to get a diagnosis after many appointments.

If your pelvic pain began on the DF and continued on the Bacchetta ... IDK, it wouldn't be my assumption that another kind of bent will have a different result. So you may as well hang on to your Bacchetta. For sure you will take a beating trying to sell it. Since you built it the way you did to save money, it would be ironic, I think, to now go and sell it short to a bargain hunter. Back to your hip. Assuming that you have been a DF rider of some experience, this hip pain is not likely caused by any aspect of riding a bicycle. But I'm not a doctor. I'd seek medical or physical therapeutic advice. Are the 'appointments' you refer to of that nature? If yes and the pain is only associated with riding then you need to examine how you ride a bicycle. More to the point what has changed in your bike riding. Did you join a club? Increase mileage by more than 10% in one jump? Move to a more mountainous area?
Old 06-20-18, 05:50 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I really enjoy reading your stories, thank you (end keep them coming, if you feel inclined)!.
Old 06-21-18, 02:29 AM
rbk_3

Bikes: Trek Emonda S6

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
If your pelvic pain began on the DF and continued on the Bacchetta ... IDK, it wouldn't be my assumption that another kind of bent will have a different result. So you may as well hang on to your Bacchetta. For sure you will take a beating trying to sell it. Since you built it the way you did to save money, it would be ironic, I think, to now go and sell it short to a bargain hunter. Back to your hip. Assuming that you have been a DF rider of some experience, this hip pain is not likely caused by any aspect of riding a bicycle. But I'm not a doctor. I'd seek medical or physical therapeutic advice. Are the 'appointments' you refer to of that nature? If yes and the pain is only associated with riding then you need to examine how you ride a bicycle. More to the point what has changed in your bike riding. Did you join a club? Increase mileage by more than 10% in one jump? Move to a more mountainous area?
i meant I should of test rode some bents before I bought one.

i built it like I wanted to save money, but it is also higher speced and lighter than their prebuilts. I have a full 105 11 speed group I bought from Wiggle while theirs came with SRAM 9 speed.

Put it this way, In Canada a CA3.0 would cost $6400 CND to import after exchange and duty, that’s if you don’t get hit with fully duty for buying a completed bike, and I came in at around 4k on my build. Although I did use my existing wheels.

At this point i believe it is trigger point in my adductor referring pain to the pelvic region.

This all started riding 2k in 6 weeks on a saddle that I found was 2-3 cm to high later on after a bike fit. It was absolutely because of cycling this started. I’m hoping with some myofachial release I will be able to ride again. Already feeling way better after massaging and stretching my adductors for a week.
Old 08-01-18, 05:58 AM
BentRider56

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Finding a recumbent

I switched to 'bents to relieve hand numbness. It worked.

My favorite 'bent is my Rans V-Rex, which I bought from a guy for half of what he paid at retail. It terrified him. The first V-Rex I rode terrified me too: checking my helmet mirror took me halfway to the double-yellow, so...

I tried a lot of different 'bents. I liked the Easy-Racers Gold Rush, but it was too expensive for me.

I bought a barely used Rans Stratus: it was well behaved, but still required a learning curve.

Mrs became jealous of the attention I got, so we bought a USED Rans Screamer tandem (after trying USED Double Vision and Ryan Duplex). Another learning curve. It's a stiff frame with precise, predictable handling and a relatively short turning radius.

Finally: I saw my current Rans V-Rex USED at a consignment sale. Casting nubs still on the tires. Pristine. After riding the Stratus & Screamer, the V-Rex didn't scare me anymore. I bought it & love it. I've worn out two sets of brake pads, two chains (six std ones), two rear clusters. It's going to need new rims eventually. It feels like I imagine a fighter-plane would feel: extremely responsive.

Notes:

1) Buy used. Seat pads and mesh/webbing will wear out, but you can buy or make replacements.

2) Lighter is better: Every ounce is felt when climbing hills.I have so far avoided suspension because of the weight penalty.

3) Balancing a recumbent bike is good for balancing on your feet. Important as we age.

4) No numbness in hands or crotch, no stiff necks.

5) Spend extra for sticky tires with puncture protection. A 'bent will go down fast and hard if you lose traction. So also avoid loose sand & gravel, and carefully modulate your braking on twisty descents. Don't emulate Phillipe Gilbert's "over the wall" maneuver.

6) Don't expect to keep up with light upright bikes when climbing hills, but try. You'll fly past them on the descents. Learn to play leap-frog.
Old 08-01-18, 07:34 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Haha, I see myself in a couple of points here. For context, the bike I went for is an HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, used and in very good condition.

Can't adjust the boom to be short enough so that my GF can try it. So we are talking about renting a semi-recumbent tandem one day to share this experience. A nearby shop used to have a Pino Hase for rent until recently. We're hoping they will soon have one again. I've grown a huge curiosity for semi-recumbent tandems since. It seems to address a lot of small things that our upright tandem isn't perfect at - and it would be nice to experience this alternative concept.

On your notes:
1) If you're lucky you can buy from a bike enthusiast who has already upgraded everything 5 times and kept original components. That gives you lots of spare parts and fancy upgrades!
2) I have suspension and like it a lot, but I live in rolling hills country, not mountains. Still experimenting - tires seem to have a huge influence on bike speed. I am playing around with road bike tires (Schwalbe Durano), which do seem to feel okay given that I have suspension. Uphill is still the same story.
5) Oh yes, I also noted the loose sand & gravel thing right away. Seeing some Azub guys MTB'ing on their bikes is really impressive.
6) It feels a bit like our upright tandem in that regard, which has a similar characteristic. It's so much fun to experience the downhill acceleration (and we just forget about the uphill, once it's done ).

Cheers!
Old 08-01-18, 10:29 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by BentRider56
5) Spend extra for sticky tires with puncture protection. A 'bent will go down fast and hard if you lose traction. So also avoid loose sand & gravel, and carefully modulate your braking on twisty descents. Don't emulate Phillipe Gilbert's "over the wall" maneuver.
A note on that: As Phillipe learned, if you're on an upright bike and hit the brakes in a hard turn, the bike will 'pop up' and try to go straight. This doesn't seem to be a problem with recumbents, though.
Old 08-01-18, 11:22 AM
alias5000

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
A note on that: As Phillipe learned, if you're on an upright bike and hit the brakes in a hard turn, the bike will 'pop up' and try to go straight. This doesn't seem to be a problem with recumbents, though.
I can still lift off the rear tire with my front brake on my SWB. I wouldn't want to try that in a turn...
Or am I missing something here?
Old 08-01-18, 12:29 PM
BentRider56

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I'm not sure what you mean by "popping up"... I've had ONE instance on dry pavement when the V-Rex back tire lost traction in a descending turn; I saved it by a combination of steering into it and reducing the brake force.
In loose sand or gravel in a turn, the recumbent is usually on the ground before I have time to react.
Then again, I'm not cornering at 40+ mph. ;-)
Old 08-02-18, 01:12 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by BentRider56
I'm not sure what you mean by "popping up"...
On an upright, if you go into a turn too hot and have to hit the brakes hard, the bike will stop leaning. You're presented with a choice: try to slow down before you go off the road, or hang on and hope you don't slide out and go down.