Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike based tree care

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Bike based tree care

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-18, 09:28 PM
Thrivetreecare

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike based tree care

I'm moving my small tree service to operating completely by bicycle. I'll be riding a Yuba Supermarche hauling my 50lbs dog and ~80lbs of climbing gear in the front box 2 chainsaws on the rear rack and towing a surly trailer with a 220lbs chipper and another ~80lbs of rigging gear and larger chainsaws. My longest ride will be about 10 miles one way over relatively flat terrain. I'm not a cyclist and realize this is a solid amount of weight to haul day in and day out but I think it's doable. Any advice, suggestions or being told I'm insane is welcome!
Old 12-27-18, 12:04 AM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Start spinning some miles. Your going to use muscles your not used to using. Your ass will hurt in the seat as well. Time in the saddle. Watch what you eat and keep hydrated. You don't want to "hit the wall" or some call it "bonking". You just might learn what it means though. Trying to stand from sitting in a chair will be very difficult. Also cramps come from lack of hydration. Don't schedule your jobs too close, you'll need some recovery time. Your talking about work that usually requires heavy equipment. Green logs are always so light till they dry out and get heavy.. keep a close eye on things as your going to push the limits of everyone erything. Anything breaks you'll need a plan "b". Maybe a backup bike and trailer, or stay on great terms with your friends that might have something you'll need in a bind.

Take some pics before, during and after. There will be people that will call bs without pics, and if things are indeed like you mentioned, you can show off things with the proof in the pics and reflect on times later on.
Old 12-27-18, 06:57 AM
Thrivetreecare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ocsawdust
Start spinning some miles. Your going to use muscles your not used to using. Your ass will hurt in the seat as well. Time in the saddle. Watch what you eat and keep hydrated. You don't want to "hit the wall" or some call it "bonking". You just might learn what it means though. Trying to stand from sitting in a chair will be very difficult. Also cramps come from lack of hydration. Don't schedule your jobs too close, you'll need some recovery time. Your talking about work that usually requires heavy equipment. Green logs are always so light till they dry out and get heavy.. keep a close eye on things as your going to push the limits of everyone erything. Anything breaks you'll need a plan "b". Maybe a backup bike and trailer, or stay on great terms with your friends that might have something you'll need in a bind.

Take some pics before, during and after. There will be people that will call bs without pics, and if things are indeed like you mentioned, you can show off things with the proof in the pics and reflect on times later on.
Thanks ocsawdust, I won't be hauling any material away from the job sites, just me and my tools, I'm planning on getting one of the training rigs for my basement for this winter and since my business is just starting it'll be a nice lead into cycling full time. I'll also still be using my truck for contract climbing which is about 75% of my work right now. I'm fully prepared to get my ass kicked just like when I started in tree care. Definitely planning on taking lots of pictures and some video for advertising, I have plenty of go pros and a drone so the process will be fully documented!
Old 12-27-18, 11:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cool Purpose built transportation equipment..

In Eugene there is Human Powered Machines .. a maker of quite capable weight bearing larger Cargo trailers

though the shipping costs may be unsettling

Bikes at Work in Iowa makes a modular bike trailer .. 6 foot long dual wheels ... those sort of adaptations ..

FWIW, I've seen a (PBS TV ) show* highlighting a Compost by bike service in Austin TX.. *( production company in NC)

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-27-18 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-29-18, 09:41 AM
Thrivetreecare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
In Eugene there is Human Powered Machines .. a maker of quite capable weight bearing larger Cargo trailers

though the shipping costs may be unsettling

Bikes at Work in Iowa makes a modular bike trailer .. 6 foot long dual wheels ... those sort of adaptations ..

FWIW, I've seen a (PBS TV ) show* highlighting a Compost by bike service in Austin TX.. *( production company in NC)

Ive been looking at the surly trailers their hitch design seems superior and I'll have less than 300lbs on the trailer and a little over 100 on the bike at most. Hopefully one day I can get that kind of press!
Old 12-29-18, 05:50 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob

Bikes at Work in Iowa makes a modular bike trailer .. 6 foot long dual wheels ... those sort of adaptations
I have one about 15 years now. Highly recommend. Mine is from before the modular ones, which I believe are even better. A friend has the newer one. Nice. I upgraded the tires of course.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 12-29-18 at 05:54 PM.