Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Couch to 200W+ FTP in 6 months?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Couch to 200W+ FTP in 6 months?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-19, 04:19 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
if you can't drop weight then build muscle mass and make more power. This will increase power to weight ratio and get you up the hills better. Also increase the FTP.

Squats, leg press, calf raises. Military press, lunges forwards and sides. Also work on lower back/core when in rotation of muscle groups.
weight kills your climbing. While ftp might go up, your watts per kilogram will go down. The best way to improve times on a hilly course is to lose as much weight as as possible.
Old 02-18-19, 04:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Old 02-18-19, 04:44 PM
MiPeGr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I didn't come here to have multiple people insult me to my face. I'm out...
Old 03-27-19, 12:57 PM
CraigMBA

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Monstercross Touring Rig, and a couple of others

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MiPeGr
I didn't come here to have multiple people insult me to my face. I'm out...
Having read the thread, I'm not sure what was insulting, but to answer your original question. Yes its possible.

I was a cheeseburger short of 300 pounds (6'3" tall) when I got separated. I started riding about nine months later, and got injured (mtb crash) three months after that which sidelined me for six additional months. Three months after I started again (and hired a cycling coach/nutritionist) I was to 317w FTP and about 230 pounds, which at that point I got injured again (another mtb crash).

So I think couch to 200w is totally doable, so long as you put the work in. I was training 15 hours a week, and riding events on weekends that might be that long (double centuries). I was doing just endurance work and my FTP kept crawling up in sympathy. When I started focusing on FTP it exploded, and at one point last year I had it up to 370w. However, that came at the cost of my endurance because I was ignoring longer rides. A balance is necessary between the two. I'm currently back to working on endurance and getting my body fat % down.

You can do this if 1) you put in the work and 2) you don't hurt yourself on the ramp up.

Good luck!

Last edited by CraigMBA; 03-27-19 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-03-19, 01:51 PM
washed up

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
I saw a lot of good information in this thread...not sure what set off the op.
Old 04-03-19, 03:02 PM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by washed up
I saw a lot of good information in this thread...not sure what set off the op.
Maybe the pictures of the "red couch on wheels" could be interpreted as insulting by someone who has a lot of weight to lose? I don't see much else that I would find insulting, but unless the OP says what it was, we'll never know.
Old 04-06-19, 12:08 AM
colnago62

To go from zero hours a week to 15 hours a week in a few months is not very realistic. That is a lot of time in the saddle if we are talking about someone no prior base endurance. The best thing is to go to the doctor and make sure you are healthy enough to stress the body and then start a program and really listen to what your body is telling you.
Old 04-08-19, 03:29 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
He didn't like being told his best approach would include losing weight. I'm not sure what the couch bike had to do with anything...

The internet is a cold, dark place if you get all wound up on the Clyde board.
Old 04-09-19, 10:57 AM
CraigMBA

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Monstercross Touring Rig, and a couple of others

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by colnago62
To go from zero hours a week to 15 hours a week in a few months is not very realistic. That is a lot of time in the saddle if we are talking about someone no prior base endurance. The best thing is to go to the doctor and make sure you are healthy enough to stress the body and then start a program and really listen to what your body is telling you.
It's totally realistic, and easily acomplished. The biggest limiting factor is commitment and time, and keeping an eye on your ramp rates.

If you can do one hour a week (broke up into three 20 minute workouts), and add just 20% per week additional workout time per week, you are there in just ten weeks.
Old 04-10-19, 03:51 PM
colnago62

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
It's totally realistic, and easily acomplished. The biggest limiting factor is commitment and time, and keeping an eye on your ramp rates.

If you can do one hour a week (broke up into three 20 minute workouts), and add just 20% per week additional workout time per week, you are there in just ten weeks.
The math is not the hard part.
Old 04-10-19, 05:24 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
By my 6th month, I was still consistently averaging around 8-9 hours a week. Within 9 months, 13-15 hours per week, and I had a couple of 20+ hour weeks in the first year.

My second year, in 2016, I put in 717 hours, including a stretch of around 70 consecutive days where I put in around 2,500 miles. Narrowly missed 12,000 miles for the year, and completely burned myself out. Took about 4 months to recover.

Fast forward to now, and I'm content with 12-13 hours a week, and I only watch the power numbers to make sure I don't recreate the 2016 situation.

A 200W FTP should not be an issue for a bigger person. We make more power to begin with. Our W/kg will just never be very impressive. Strong little guys can have FTPs of like 4W/kg or more. I'd love to have that, but a 376W FTP seems a bit out of my reach.
Old 04-10-19, 06:07 PM
CraigMBA

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by colnago62

The math is not the hard part.
I agree. The enemies are gravity (the force making it so hard to get off the couch and start), inertia (see gravity), and mindset (self defeating before you try).

Cycling is not a endeavor for the lazy or unmotivated.

If you think 20% additional TSS per week is too aggressive, how about 10%? That gets you there in 20 weeks.

Originally Posted by DrIsotope

A 200W FTP should not be an issue for a bigger person. We make more power to begin with. Our W/kg will just never be very impressive. Strong little guys can have FTPs of like 4W/kg or more. I'd love to have that, but a 376W FTP seems a bit out of my reach.
Given the forum we are posting on, I think we are okay on that one.
Old 04-10-19, 06:43 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Whenever I feel like I'm having a low-output day, I just remember that one of my buddies at the LBS had his girlfriend do an FTP test. She's a little thing, with the power to match. Her average 20-minute power? 81 watts. I think I need about a hundred just to maintain forward motion on level ground.
Old 04-10-19, 08:12 PM
CraigMBA

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Whenever I feel like I'm having a low-output day, I just remember that one of my buddies at the LBS had his girlfriend do an FTP test. She's a little thing, with the power to match. Her average 20-minute power? 81 watts. I think I need about a hundred just to maintain forward motion on level ground.
Exactly.

My head works a little different than most. I went to college to be an accountant, and I used to farm for a living. There's always metrics, and there's always best practices within those metrics.

Most people coming off the couch aren't going to jump into a big serious training program (I did but I'm not most people). I did and failed miserably because I over trained. So I hired a trainer who put a muzzle on me, and limited my initial work. Pretty much all I was doing was endurance (zone 2, or sweet spot) riding. We did a FTP test and I made 245w. After six weeks, we retested and I made 317.

All I did was a ton of cardio development work, but it raised the floor, which raised my FTP in sympathy.

And I submit thats where most people are. Building fitness and improving performance so you can reach the goals that you want. In my case, that was to ride one specific event that was four months away. And I learned a few things. One of them is to not let my TSS slope get much past 10 otherwise I get sick.

Note this article:

https://www.joefrielsblog.com/2015/05...ramp-rate.html

If you pledge to do enough work to raise your TSS floor by 7 per week, you'll be at 70 at the end of ten weeks and 182 at the end of six months. Your fitness will be the best it's ever been and your weight may be enough you can't post in the forum anymore.

You can do this.