Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

ID frame based on lugs?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

ID frame based on lugs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-19, 08:22 PM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
ID frame based on lugs?

I saw a bike with what must be an old frame repainted satin black. Nice job, too. No head badge. No ID on seat tubes. The lugs were typical long points but with a small window cut into the top. I figure it was likely a major company? For anyone, does this ring any bells? Wish I'd gotten a picture; didn't have my phone.
Old 03-06-19, 08:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4206 Post(s)
Liked 3,871 Times in 2,314 Posts
Lugs are generally made by an outside supplier to a bike fabricator. If enough are ordered a "special" feature might be worthwhile. Cut outs in various shapes is a common feature to be played with.

Can you be more specific as to the cut out shape and locations? Do you know the frame's threading? Shots of the lugs, crown, BB shell, seat stay tops and stay ends would all help to eliminate possible brands but without more hints the range is still pretty wide open. Andy
Old 03-07-19, 09:12 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Lugs are generally made by an outside supplier to a bike fabricator. If enough are ordered a "special" feature might be worthwhile. Cut outs in various shapes is a common feature to be played with.

Can you be more specific as to the cut out shape and locations? Do you know the frame's threading? Shots of the lugs, crown, BB shell, seat stay tops and stay ends would all help to eliminate possible brands but without more hints the range is still pretty wide open. Andy
Thanks. I'll have to hope I see the bike again, and with the best possible luck, the owner, too.
Old 03-07-19, 09:48 AM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
I saw a bike with what must be an old frame repainted satin black. Nice job, too. No head badge. No ID on seat tubes. The lugs were typical long points but with a small window cut into the top. I figure it was likely a major company? For anyone, does this ring any bells? Wish I'd gotten a picture; didn't have my phone.
Okay, so this is what we know...

1) the frame is "old", but no idea how old.

2) the frame uses long point lugs with a small window cut into the top of the lug.

I should think there could well be literally thousands of different frames that meet this criteria. Good luck with your search.
Old 03-07-19, 11:29 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
Frame ID can take a combination of factors, since builders generally all have the same parts available to them. Seat cluster, crown, lugs, dropouts are the main ones.