Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Post Ride Strategy: How to not screw it up

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-19, 07:19 AM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts

So two things that I struggle greatly with when it comes to doing any physical activity is recovering my energy and controlling my hunger. Whenever I ride my bike for either high intensity or endurance rides I find myself exhausted for hours after the ride (in the sense that I don’t want to do anything productive afterwards). I’m also more likely to eat like crap because I’m just that hungry even if I have a proper recovery drink.

Because I work a 9-to-5 where I’m also pretty active, I find these issues arise as a daily struggle, let alone after a ride where I’m intentionally trying to workout. I wanted to know what are some things that I can do to improve my energy levels and reduce my appetite.
Old 03-13-19, 09:01 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
The two things that help me most are food and distractions.

As soon as possible after you finish a hard workout, eat or drink something. My favorite is a banana with peanut butter or Nutella. 100-200 calories gets sugar moving into the bloodstream and muscles, and satisfies my cravings. For a while.

Distractions? Then it's time to do something else, rather than sit or walk through the kitchen. It's good to play Bicycle Mechanic for a while. Check out the tires for cuts or embedded glass or wires. Wipe down your chain, measure it, re-lube or replace as needed. What was that mystery creak, how can you fix it? Take a shower, put on clean clothes, go for a walk or go shopping with your significant other or a friend.
Old 03-13-19, 12:40 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
What do you consider an endurance ride?
Old 03-13-19, 01:22 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
This is a very individual thing, and certainly age and general level of fitness has a great influence on modes of recovery. For me, a large protein supplement drink after a hard workout, (Vega Sport), knocks the snack urge down dramatically. I am also a believer in a solid stretching routine after a hard workout; and I mean like a 15 minute routine, dynamic and static.

Being exhausted hours after a hard workout is not a good indicator. I think overall fitness & health might be questions worth exploring.
Old 03-13-19, 02:03 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

I know I have low fitness levels, which is why I’m trying to improve on it via cycling. The issues arise when I’m left with very little energy and motivation to do anything post workout due to not knowing how to recover or what food/how much food I need so that I’m not binging on food that will be counterproductive to my workout.

I’m 23 and ~370lb if that helps.

Also to answer the “endurance” question: any time I’m on my bike for an hour+ or 20mi+ (whichever comes first).
Old 03-13-19, 02:20 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I'd say an hour or 20 miles is a good start but not what I would call "endurance", but that's just semantics.

How often do you ride that distance? Daily? 3x per week? How long have you been doing it?

Eat some fruit when you're done riding. Can't help you with the energy issue, that comes with time and conditioning but keep at it!
Old 03-13-19, 02:51 PM
DarKris

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I'd say an hour or 20 miles is a good start but not what I would call "endurance", but that's just semantics.

How often do you ride that distance? Daily? 3x per week? How long have you been doing it?

Eat some fruit when you're done riding. Can't help you with the energy issue, that comes with time and conditioning but keep at it!
I work weekdays and since I’m on my feet a good portion of the time I’m usually too drained to do any extended rides after work so I *try* to do an extended ride on the weekend with shorter ~30min interval rides during the week. Haven’t been doing this as much due to the snow here but since it’s getting warmer and there’s more daylight I’m trying to get back into it
Old 03-14-19, 04:37 PM
Mmassey338
Old guy on a bike

Bikes: Fuji “mountain” bike, Lynskey GR260 & Firefly Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DarKris
I know I have low fitness levels, which is why I’m trying to improve on it via cycling. The issues arise when I’m left with very little energy and motivation to do anything post workout due to not knowing how to recover or what food/how much food I need so that I’m not binging on food that will be counterproductive to my workout.

I’m 23 and ~370lb if that helps.

Also to answer the “endurance” question: any time I’m on my bike for an hour+ or 20mi+ (whichever comes first).
First, congratulations and don’t give up.
Second, ignore anyone who tries to piss on your accomplishments. You’re on the right track
I wasn’t as heavy as you( I was 290#) but I’m much older(58). I’m now 220#, and feel great, and it’s all about consistency and perseverance. Let your long ride be low intensity (blue zone if you have a heart rate monitor).
Keep going!
Old 03-27-19, 01:23 PM
CraigMBA

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Monstercross Touring Rig, and a couple of others

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A piece of advice I got recently:

"Don't diet on the bike"

In short, what does your in activity nutrition look like? You need to fuel activity during the activity. If I don't get proper nutrition on the bike, I'm zonked after and about an hour after that, questing for calories. This is my sign I'm not getting proper in activity nutrition, and my opportunity to not have this happen again.

200-300 calories an hour during exercise does the trick for me (even if I'm expending much more). I taught myself how to eat on the bike while I'm riding. A banana, half a clif bar, and 20 oz of sports drink is usually a good target for me.

I went for a 30 mile, 1000 ft climb, mostly into the wind road ride yesterday for the first time since before Christmas. I made the mistake of not taking any nutrition other than the bottles, and had the exact problem you describe last night post ride. I used 830 kilojules in the first 16 miles, and like 300 in the last 14 (I have the benefit of a power meter, so I get accurate data on how much I'm expending). That was too much. I felt awful at one hour, and struggled to get back.

Having experienced this before, I went shopping last night and bought bananas and clif bars (they are high in carbohydrate, and easy on my tummy, which is why I use them). I am going out right now, and don't expect to have this problem again (it's happened to me before). I probably should eat every time I throw a leg over the bike.

Last edited by CraigMBA; 03-27-19 at 01:25 PM. Reason: clarity