Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Clunker Challenge #5

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Clunker Challenge #5

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-19, 01:36 PM
Nokton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 23 Posts
I may jump into this, but maybe I'm just happy with a score this morning and gloating, too.

I thought about this contest and have been scouring Craigslist for a likely entrant. I'd had my eye on an old Peugeot that had been modified by an earlier owner (and posted about here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...g-peugeot.html). I wasn't able to go look at the bike for a while because the seller was out of town. This morning I went to get the Peugeot figuring that $100 would be a good deal and a good place to start a restoration/restomod project. When I got there I found out that the rear hub was missing a spindle so I made an offer of $100 (the asking price was $120). The offer was accepted and I got a Lotus America as a throw-in on the deal. Two bikes for $100 with some desirable parts (the Lotus has Campy hubs, for instance).

I may actually be able to enter.

Old 04-13-19, 02:26 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked 3,510 Times in 1,397 Posts
Well, Fuji time. Or was that 'Fudge-it' time?

I wanted to strip everything down to the frame just to see what the thing weighed. That was the excuse any way.

By the very first thing, I could tell we were off to a great start.

Not today, sucker!

I made this great little tool to clean threads, and it works pretty well. I had a recent experience stripping crank threads, so not going back there again. Fresh threads and a fresh crank pulling tool.

Despite it's 'ugly', it came off easily -

These, on the other hand, were ugly and coming off just as ugly -

And here she is, all 5.7lb of klunk (were rounding down for this one)-

I found at an interesting thing. It has fake head lugs!

Which I don't mind, because it is interesting.

Ah, Fuji. The only bike that can strip pedal threads being removed in the correct direction...

Now that her deepest, darkest secrets are revealed...will she learn to trust me?

I almost don't want to put on all those crappy parts again. I want to treat her like the lady she could be. Those 165mm cranks will have to go. Need to find a wheelset. She's got her issues, but at least were in therapy now!
Old 04-13-19, 08:33 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Schwinn Voyageur - Day 3 - $55 - 45 miles (72k)

Overhauled the bottom bracket. Cleaned crank. Cleaned up seatpost. Rode to bike shop for tools for a different project.

Still left to do:

Overhaul headset
Overhaul wheel hubs
Clean brakes
Overhaul or replace brake blocks

As budget permits:
Replace cables
Pedals?
Replace chain

I don’t want to sell anything off this bike, it’s all original and all in nice shape.

Few pics from today’s work:

Old 04-13-19, 11:38 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Well, Fuji time. Or was that 'Fudge-it' time?

And here she is, all 5.7lb of klunk (were rounding down for this one)-

Honey are you using the nice kitchen scale to weigh your rusty bikes again???
mumbled response
Didn't we talk about that?
Old 04-14-19, 10:12 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Originally Posted by ryansu
Honey are you using the nice kitchen scale to weigh your rusty bikes again???
mumbled response
Didn't we talk about that?

Aha! The wife left for a trip yesterday! *deviously clasps hands in anticipating of more kitchen scale frame weighing*
Old 04-14-19, 05:20 PM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
Wow, the Clunker Challenge has started up again?

While I'm all fired up about entering, reality is setting in - I have entered every year, but not once have I finished a build in time for the deadline.

Riding one of these basket case heaps fine pieces of machinery 62 miles is also something I've failed to do.

But, the town I live in did just have the 'large/bulk trash collection' event - it is held every other year.

House after house drags piles of crap out to the curbside. The goal is to snag the bikes before the scrappers do. I came away with three this year, two are viable Challenge candidates. The other I snagged for parts.

(The tires are purple! Oh, come on, don't look at me like that! They're hardly used! The chain, bearings, and brake cables are in good shape too! Really, you can stop rolling your eyes now...)

So I'll add these to the list of bikes to be worked on - it presently includes:

- A Schwinn hybrid I'm rehabbing for a friend
- A Mongoose hybrid I'm putting together for my son
- A 2005 Diamondback Joker I'm doing over for a buildoff on another site
- A 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide for a buildoff on another site

So, between upcoming vacations and large-scale system implementation/rollout at my work, I suspect time to wrench on old bikes will be less than available.

What the hell, I'm in. Pics to follow.
Old 04-14-19, 06:55 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by RandolphCarter

What the hell, I'm in. Pics to follow.
Good. Now, on behalf of everyone who had already entered this fine spectacle of an event, would you be so kind as to enter one of your BMXs so you can ride it 62mi and we'll all follow along?
Old 04-14-19, 07:27 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by tiredhands
I took a trip down to Po' Man's Bike Dump, and found myself a date with destiny for $20:
At any rate, it's all there: low budget Suntour Accushift, Lee Chi Sine Power brakes, and plastic brake levers. Perfect!
Oh yeah this is the embodiment of the clunker challenge. You know it has a not that awful derailleur and crankset. I'm laughing at the cable routing

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Now that her deepest, darkest secrets are revealed...will she learn to trust me?
Maybe if you use a little lube, some heat and a touch of patience Let's see if I can practice what I preach when I crack into mine!

Last edited by GrainBrain; 04-14-19 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-14-19, 08:55 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts

Last year (after I DNF to injuries) I set a goal of building a keeper for the clunker challenge this year. In the true spirit of restoring a C&V bike to real use I started searching last summer. And I was picky. After only a few miles of riding last year's entry of a too large 64cm Centurion Elite RS I wanted another Centurion. Actually I needed two. I also wanted an Ironman. I found an '86 Lemans frame for $50 in August and then on new year's eve a 250 round trip drive got my '85 Ironman. Original except for tires. So as the junk mail always says "You are already a winner!" I've put over half the miles in already and I will post pics and numbers at random over the next few days.
Hey, I'm retired and no longer organize anything. I did track the costs though, since things are tight after spending A LOT on my dog's two ACL surgeries recently. I'm thinking of renaming him Eddy Merckx.
Old 04-15-19, 10:56 AM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by grayEZrider

Last year (after I DNF to injuries) I set a goal of building a keeper for the clunker challenge this year. In the true spirit of restoring a C&V bike to real use I started searching last summer. And I was picky. After only a few miles of riding last year's entry of a too large 64cm Centurion Elite RS I wanted another Centurion. Actually I needed two. I also wanted an Ironman. I found an '86 Lemans frame for $50 in August and then on new year's eve a 250 round trip drive got my '85 Ironman. Original except for tires. So as the junk mail always says "You are already a winner!" I've put over half the miles in already and I will post pics and numbers at random over the next few days.
Hey, I'm retired and no longer organize anything. I did track the costs though, since things are tight after spending A LOT on my dog's two ACL surgeries recently. I'm thinking of renaming him Eddy Merckx.
Nice keep us posted on the rebuild of these two, FWIW, the Ironman is a 1986 and the LeMans is a 1988
Old 04-15-19, 12:13 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Better late than never, after 15 km of riding I finally did more that put air in the tires, reconnect the front brake cable and WD 40 the chain for the Trek 520. On Saturday I; cleaned and lubed the chain, deglazed the brake pads (sanded), and wiped down both stem and seat post and applied fresh grease. On Sunday I rode another 4.2 KM bringing me up to nearly 20% of the challenge total.
Old 04-15-19, 01:01 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts

Love VO silver braid cables

Crank threads were filthy. Threading the extractor was a chore.

A shout out to Testors paint.

Now I need mileage.
Originally Posted by dweenk

1986 Schwinn Cimarron as purchased a couple of months ago:
I realize that I may fail to meet the criteria, but I am trying to bring it in as original and as cheaply as possible - so I hope Narhay was serious was he was mentioning bribes. And Narhay, I'm only a ferry ride from Jersey if you know what I mean, and we have friends.

The details...
Purchase price + $60
VO silver cables (on sale) + $27.20
Suntour XC pedals (trade) + $0
Dust caps for pedals from local LBS bin'o parts + $1.00
Paint is Testors #1203 , on hand + $0
Suntour Surperbe stem (missing logo - trade) + $0
Nashbar Microfiber saddle (LBS bin'o parts) + $6.00
SRAM PCS 830 chain (on hand from bulk purchase) + $8.00
SOLD Blackburn MTN rack (came with bike) - $15.00
New straddle cables + $8.36
Total = $95.56

BTW, not selling this one, I think it is a keeper.
So now I am finished except for a test ride and clipping the cables to length. No mileage yet because the wind is blowing a gale outside, but I do have photos.
Old 04-15-19, 01:38 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
No photos today, but I worked late last night on the Bottecchia De Luxe and brought it incrementally closer to rideability. I cleaned most of the grime off the Universal Sport centerpull calipers and remounted them. The curved washer behind the front caliper was too shallow, and when cinched down the return springs were pressed up against the crown. Fortunately, the bin o' scavenged parts provided a thicker unit and I was able to fit that AND make it so my Y-wrench's 9mm socket worked properly to attach it. The rear brake's curved washer was cracked and actually broke while I was handling it, so I got to use a different one. Hmm. Then I removed and degreased the pulleys on the Simplex Prestige rear derailleur, scrubbed them reasonably clean and reassembled them with fresh grease. I had already slathered the derailleur body with oil to make it slightly less brittle, and it all seems to work relatively smoothly now, so I remounted it.

Then I went to work on the front hub. I didn't see a name on it, which, if I had marketed it, I wouldn't have put my name on it either. Nice wide alloy flanges, stamped steel center section, no dustcaps to remove, and the worst looking, most galled hub cones I have ever seen in 45 years of messing with bikes. But hey, it's the CLUNKER challenge, so I swabbed out the worst of the old mucky grease and washed the balls and cones with degreaser and wiped them down and stuck it all back together with more fresh black grease. It felt acceptable, but not great. Fortunately I have enough room in the budget to do a wheel swap, and the wheels I would use come from a bike I paid $10 for. It may become necessary to swap wheels, because I am not at all certain I can lay my hands on a puller that will remove the Caimi freewheel. and that rear hub just feels wretched, as in Wally World Huffy left out in the rain for a decade wretched.

Clunker challenge, though, so if need be I just flush everything with WD-40 and dump some Tri-Flow in after it and run it into the ground, right?
Old 04-15-19, 08:14 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Schwinn Voyageur- Day 5 - $55 - 46 miles (74k)

Overhauled the headset today. Man, it was nasty, old dried up gummy grease. One of the ball bearings was missing out of the retainer on the top. No signs there was ever one there. I cleaned everything up as best as I could and repacked and it works much better, although I did just reuse the original bearings. I think the headset will be replaced before I put it into commuting duty and it works fine as is enough to finish the challenge. I really want to ride the bike, it’s taking a lot of discipline to stay off it until I overhaul the hubs. Way easier and cheaper to replace a headset than a wheelset. These wheels are cool, too, at first I thought they were chrome steel but they’re polished alloy. They spin true. I think some Voyageurs came with a 40 spoke rear but these are 36 front and rear. I seem to break about half a dozen drive side rear spokes every year.
Old 04-16-19, 08:33 AM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Clunker challenge, though, so if need be I just flush everything with WD-40 and dump some Tri-Flow in after it and run it into the ground, right?
That's what I did last year, just get it working enough to make it to the 100 km mark. It was protesting very loudly by the end, but it made it.

This year I intend on donating the bike, so I had to at least get it to where it might last a few more miles after I'm done with it.

Started with a pile of dirty junk:

Ended with a pile of clean junk:

There's a teaser in there for what I might try to do with the rebuild.

Last edited by tiredhands; 04-16-19 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-16-19, 09:50 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
@Phamilton, you're breaking too many spokes. I want to say you're doing something wrong, but probably, the original owner of the rear wheels did something wrong. I see learning the skill to build wheels in your future. I just taught yet another person to build wheels, and he's very satisfied. You will love it, and you will not break spokes any more.

@tiredhands, I don't see your pictures. Check the permissions.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-16-19, 10:03 AM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@tiredhands, I don't see your pictures. Check the permissions.
Thanks! I'm getting the hang of switching to Google Photos. Should work now!
Old 04-16-19, 10:16 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Thanks! I'm getting the hang of switching to Google Photos. Should work now!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-16-19, 11:34 AM
ryansu

@dweenk is that even the same bike? Wow nice job
Old 04-16-19, 11:41 AM
ryansu

There's a teaser in there for what I might try to do with the rebuild.
Huffy TT bike??
Old 04-16-19, 01:18 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
@dweenk is that even the same bike? Wow nice job
Thanks. I went for the test ride this afternoon - shifting and braking is fine. It feels light and responsive, but I need to adjust the saddle height and turn the stem a few degrees to the left. It may turn out to be too small for me, but if that is the case I'll get my wife to try it. It is way better than her Trek 820 Antelope.
Old 04-16-19, 01:39 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by noglider
@Phamilton, you're breaking too many spokes. I want to say you're doing something wrong, but probably, the original owner of the rear wheels did something wrong. I see learning the skill to build wheels in your future. I just taught yet another person to build wheels, and he's very satisfied. You will love it, and you will not break spokes any more.
These have all been older used wheels anyway, probably machine built. My understanding (and please correct if wrong) is that older machine built wheels often have issues with drive side spoke breakage at the "elbow" or whatever you call that part, where it goes into the hub flange. Something about needing stress-relieving. All my broken spokes have broken there. I have some old tall flange hubs w/ 27" steel rims that I think I'd like to lace up to some alloy rims and replace the 5 spd FW with a single speed. That would be my first wheel build project. I think tall flange hubs look cool.
Old 04-16-19, 02:06 PM
CraigMBA

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Monstercross Touring Rig, and a couple of others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Challenge accepted.

My favorite thing about this bike is the iridescent pearl over teal paint!

I purchased this 1988 Haro Impulse at a local thrift store for $16.15 (tax included) with the intention of making a bar bike out of it. It was mostly there, save the munched derailuer hanger, and seatpost that was mounted backwards. Came with a Tigoa Farmer Johns Cousin, but I wasn't perpared to ride on a 30 year old skinwall tire.

To get it rideable, it needed to have the derailleur hanger straightened (free) and new derailleur cables and housings ($7). To get it nice, I added a new chain ($8.25) and a Juliana seat from used seat box from my LBS ($15), plus a set of grips ($3) and a couple of used Specialized Armadillos ($10) and a new set of generic platform pedals ($15). Oddly, the tubes were good.

Overhauled and trued the wheels, my friend rode it about 10 miles, and I noticed the bottom bracket also needed to be overhauled. So I haven't got the 100K on it yet, but I'm working on it.

$74.40.

Last edited by CraigMBA; 04-16-19 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added more pictures.
Old 04-16-19, 06:18 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
i started an account on here just to participate! i'm a long time lurker, but never got around to signing up.

biggest issue is i'm pretty rural and finding a project might be pretty tough, especially considering that while the official budget may be $100. i really can't swing that on another bicycle right now (i have 3 sitting in my living room as it is).

if i can't find an actual bicycle, maybe i can find a bso that i can stand to ride for 100km
Old 04-17-19, 02:46 PM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

Bikes: 1974 Teledyne Titan, 1970's Sekine, 1980's Kuwahara Tandem, plus a few dozen

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Time for a rod brake clunker...

Here is the 1978 Raleigh Tourist DL-1 that I found in a local sale for equivalent of US$75:

Not sure how I will get 100km on these tires...

Almost all of the original parts are still there (even the original tires and tubes), but a few things that will require some aluminum foil and and polish. The fenders have some surface rust. I have a seat and a pair of period-appropriate pedals that I purchased recently for a total of US$7 (bringing my running account to US$82). Now I am heading to the local bike co-ops to see if I can find 40-635 tires. More to follow.

-Will

Edited to note that this was my 100th post - its a sign!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.