Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New hip issue, new bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

New hip issue, new bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-19, 08:54 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
New hip issue, new bike

Last moth I purchased my first drop bar bike (Trek Checkpoint) since I was a kid. I consider myself in pretty good shape for a guy that just turned 60 and have been riding more upright bikes in the past few years, used to mountain bike a lot in my forties.

So now I've started having some hip pain (right side). Seems to have started since I started riding the drop bar bike. Went to the chiropractor today but too early to tell if that helped. I have had no prior hip issues. No falls or cashes on the new bike. Pain is in the front part of the right hip. I change the seat to a Selle Anatomic X2 a few rides back which is much more comfortable than the stock seat and have been properly fitted at the LBS. Not sure if the original seat was the culprit.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just getting used to this new riding position?
Old 04-11-19, 09:01 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,027 Posts
Ask jppe he had a wreck and had his hip replaced. His recover was remarkable and fast. I bet he could give you some solid advice concerning a hip that is giving you trouble.
Old 04-12-19, 01:30 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Not sure I can offer much advice on your hip issue. If your LBS fitter did his job the saddle shouldn’t be too high. I’m betting there are some stretching exercises that might be of benefit though.
Old 04-12-19, 03:14 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by CodyDog
Last moth I purchased my first drop bar bike (Trek Checkpoint) since I was a kid. I consider myself in pretty good shape for a guy that just turned 60 and have been riding more upright bikes in the past few years, used to mountain bike a lot in my forties.

So now I've started having some hip pain (right side). Seems to have started since I started riding the drop bar bike. Went to the chiropractor today but too early to tell if that helped. I have had no prior hip issues. No falls or cashes on the new bike. Pain is in the front part of the right hip. I change the seat to a Selle Anatomic X2 a few rides back which is much more comfortable than the stock seat and have been properly fitted at the LBS. Not sure if the original seat was the culprit.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just getting used to this new riding position?
Yep. My right side hip has had some new to me pain the day after a ride a couple times over the last month. It's with a new to me bicycle, where the reach to the bars is a bit longer than I'm use to. The pain lasts a few hours or all day, then goes away. Makes me feel crippled in the hip when it happens and I'm only 54.

It may be bike fit like the others mention. When my new to me 2013 Norco Cityglide first came, the saddle didn't work with me well and I had the bars flipped upside down with the stem angle down as well. In the end, my body preferred a different saddle (mounted well forward to work with the stem length) and the bars and stem flipped upright. The bar and stem flip results in nearly a 4 inch height difference. The bars in question are more or less a Northroad type.

Examples in my case:

Handlebars down - https://www.norco.com/bike-archives/2013/cityglide-ss/

Handlebars up - https://www.norco.com/bike-archives/...ityglide-8igh/

Last edited by FiftySix; 04-12-19 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-12-19, 03:21 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I might add, I'm not sure why my right hip has the pain while my left hip does not?

Reminds me of an improptu 10 mile hike I did in 3 hours many moons ago. Both my hips were sore, sore, sore after that.

So, probably just a muscle thing.

Last edited by FiftySix; 04-12-19 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-16-19, 09:22 AM
rnothog

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2016 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've had to have both hips replaced. First noticed pain in the front of my hips while riding motorcycles in my late 20's. Proceeded to dog me for 30 years. Kept running, until that became too painful, then I started hiking. Eventually, that became too painful, as well.

A visit to an ortho doc and an x-ray would tell the tale.
Old 04-16-19, 04:02 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
and have been properly fitted at the LBS. Not sure if the original seat was the culprit.

How do you know the fit is correct? There are so many different styles. I've worked with several fitters who came up with conflicting results on the same bike.

Since you didn't have any issues before riding, I'd argue the fit needs to be adjusted.
Old 04-16-19, 04:03 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Make sure saddle position and height is correct. I get hip pain if my saddle is too high.
Old 04-16-19, 09:31 PM
CodyDog

Originally Posted by wgscott
Make sure saddle position and height is correct. I get hip pain if my saddle is too high.
Thanks wgscott. I'll give that a try tommorow.
Old 04-16-19, 09:33 PM
CodyDog

Originally Posted by nesdog
How do you know the fit is correct? There are so many different styles. I've worked with several fitters who came up with conflicting results on the same bike.

Since you didn't have any issues before riding, I'd argue the fit needs to be adjusted.
nesdog, great point! I'll take it to another shop and see what they say on the fit.
Old 04-17-19, 12:27 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Still have OEM hips, but have had pain in the front of them before. Simple stretching routine was the fix. Not sure it will work the same for after market hips.
Old 04-24-19, 06:26 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Hip flexors? Mine have been sore lately, but I also haven’t ridden regularly for several years. My son showed me how to stretch them post ride.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 04-29-19, 07:06 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts

I'm 63, and had the same thing happen. So went to the PT and got a bunch of exercises etc... Nothing worked. Sports medicine doc took X-rays and it's arthritis - I could have been doing PT for a decade and it wouldn't have helped. Tomorrow I get a cortisone shot.

Not saying it's arthritis, but at your age it's something you should also rule out.

J.
Old 05-03-19, 09:27 PM
CodyDog

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I'm 63, and had the same thing happen. So went to the PT and got a bunch of exercises etc... Nothing worked. Sports medicine doc took X-rays and it's arthritis - I could have been doing PT for a decade and it wouldn't have helped. Tomorrow I get a cortisone shot.

Not saying it's arthritis, but at your age it's something you should also rule out.

J.
J:

I think that is a possibility. Ive been pretty hard on the body over the years. I think an X-ray may be the next step.
Old 05-03-19, 10:05 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
J:

I think that is a possibility. Ive been pretty hard on the body over the years. I think an X-ray may be the next step.
Yep. Got the shot on Tuesday and already much better.

My sports medicine doc took a look at the xrays and saw a lot more in the subtle detail than my family practice guy did. He’s had a ton more training in just that. So make sure you get it looked at by an expert.

Turns out the shots are somewhat diagnostic in their own right. The injection is given under guidance from ultrasound to make sure it goes into the joint capsule and that major vessels aren’t damaged in the process. You can literally watch the joint capsule expand as the cortisone/lidocaine liquid is injected (it’s kind of morbidly fascinating when it’s your hip).

If it works then that supports the diagnosis of arthritis/inflation in the joint by inference. Hard to figure out otherwise since you can’t really take it apart and look.

So if the shot works - good news and bad news. Good news is that the pain diminishes big time
and you’re back at it next day and in 2-3
days you’ll have a lot of relief. Bad news in that it’s arthritis and you’re wearing the joint out and should plan accordingly.

Basically - two things. One, getting older is not for the timid. Two, getting older basically sucks except the alternative is a lot worse.
Old 05-12-19, 03:34 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Another common issue is femoral acetabular impingement, or FAI.

This is thought to be pre-arthritic, where the smooth tissue around the hip socket calcified a bit and interferes a bit with the hip bone at certain angles, causing pain.

The hip ortho can reshape it with orthoscopic surgery and possibly save it from degenerating into arthritis, but this is debatable. It's a 6 month recovery.