Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show your Motobecane Grand Jubile

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show your Motobecane Grand Jubile

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-17, 10:48 AM
Super_Sport

Bikes: 1966 Schwinn Super Sport, 1978 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1991/92 Fuji Sundance, 1985 Razesa Ritter SL, 1984 Raleigh Grand Mesa, 2019 Surly Pack Rat, 2021 All City Super Professional

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kroozer
GJ's work great for 650B conversions.
I'm definitely eyeing the 650b conversion. The ride would be even better with some wide rubber.
Old 06-09-17, 10:49 AM
Super_Sport

Bikes: 1966 Schwinn Super Sport, 1978 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1991/92 Fuji Sundance, 1985 Razesa Ritter SL, 1984 Raleigh Grand Mesa, 2019 Surly Pack Rat, 2021 All City Super Professional

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NickFavicchio
I have too many pictures and too many things to say about my '76 jubile that my father bought new. He rode the snot out of it for a decade, then it sat, then it was sadly blasted and painted by a well meaning friend, then I rode the snot out of it.

Before the torch...

https://flic.kr/s/aHskp3wGYY

After the torch...

https://flic.kr/s/aHskdvXmK9
That's one beautiful bike!
Old 06-09-17, 01:16 PM
NickFavicchio 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GJs are great 650b candidates.

Look thru the pictures in this thread and elsewhere and you'll notice the fork rake is all over the map. Different bend radii and different amounts of offset. You can even see it in the old Moto catalogs.

Some (like mine) came with 5.5cm offset and 74° ht angle, which means 40mm trail with 650bx42mm tires. So ideal for front loading rando fun.

Somewhat tight in the rear with Compass Babyshoes, better suited to Pari-motos or Loup-loups. But BSPs will work with the rear wheel all the way to the rear of the sliding drops.
Old 06-09-17, 03:58 PM
Dougbloch 

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Here's my 1976. It's completely stock, including the coveted long cage Huret Jubilé rear derailleur, except I upgraded the wheels to Campagnolo NR hubs laced to 27" Mavic Module E rims and Panaracer Paselas.

It's one chain and rear derailleur cable away from being rebuilt but unfortunately it is too small for me and I will need to part with it when I am done. It saddens me deeply! I enjoyed rebuilding it and even though it's so small it's a smooth and relaxing ride.

Last edited by Dougbloch; 06-09-17 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Pic problems
Likes For Dougbloch:
Old 06-09-17, 10:56 PM
orcas island 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 109 Posts
Beautiful bike! What size is the frame?

Originally Posted by Dougbloch
Here's my 1976. It's completely stock, including the coveted long cage Huret Jubilé rear derailleur, except I upgraded the wheels to Campagnolo NR hubs laced to 27" Mavic Module E rims and Panaracer Paselas.

It's one chain and rear derailleur cable away from being rebuilt but unfortunately it is too small for me and I will need to part with it when I am done. It saddens me deeply! I enjoyed rebuilding it and even though it's so small it's a smooth and relaxing ride.

Old 06-09-17, 11:49 PM
Dougbloch 

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by orcas island
Beautiful bike! What size is the frame?
Thanks. Seat tube measures 54cm c-t. If only I could add two more centimeters to it!
Old 06-10-17, 01:32 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts

I had almost convinced myself that the red GJ with black head tube was the best looking colorway. Now you've got me questioning that.
Old 06-10-17, 11:30 AM
Dougbloch 

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I had almost convinced myself that the red GJ with black head tube was the best looking colorway. Now you've got me questioning that.
I agree. All the more reason it's going to kill me to sell it! But someone should enjoy it.
Old 06-12-17, 07:19 AM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 65 Posts

This was my first quality 10-speed. I bought it new in '74 and the only difference (other than it being a 23") was the short cage Jubilee RD and a Stronglight 49D crankset. Loved that bike. I now have a '75 GJ red w/black trim frame, a '75 red w/black GJ mixte, two '75 GRs both silver w/black trim, a '72 GR black w/red trim, a '72 Le Champion turquoise w/white trim, and a '73 Le Champ frame, black w/red trim. LOVE THEM EARLY MOTOs!!
Old 07-13-17, 11:43 AM
wintermute

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1986 Kuwahara ATB, 2006 Bianchi Volpe, 2016 Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
1980 GJ that I picked up in almost stock condition (previous owner had upgraded to Suntour Supurbe wheelset [sweet] and a tight-ranged racing cluster [not-so-sweet]). I've kept all of the original parts but switched out the cluster (wider range), seatpost, saddle, cables, bars (Nitto B135 Randonneur), stem, and pedals. Very tempted (and please tell me if this is blasphemy) to switch out the Nervar crank, which you can't get chainrings for anymore, to a Velo Orange 50.4 so I can get more optimal gearing. I would probably take the opportunity to switch out the BB as well, while there are some high-quality Swiss-threaded BBs out there.

Motobecane by Manfred Bohms, on Flickr
Old 07-13-17, 12:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
I've posted this one earlier... but here it is. Mom's bike. My niece was riding it a couple of years ago. Her legs are longer now.

Old 07-31-17, 01:56 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'm officially the latest member of the Grand Jubilé club. Based on the serial number, I think this is a '74 or '75. It has Campagnolo rear dropouts, and the steerer and bottom bracket are both French threaded. On thing that surprised me is that a standard 22.2mm stem fits with no sanding. Has anyone else seen that?

I bought the frame from @gugie, and he wouldn't let it out the door of his workshop until the fork was properly raked for low trail. It's still a bit of a work in progress. Obviously I need to do something to get the handlebar bag lower.

I went with mostly modern parts, featuring a 3x10 Campagnolo drivetrain, but I'm trying to retain hints of the original heritage. I'm using a Weinmann 750 brake in back and will probably eventually switch to a Weinmann 610 in front. I have the proper Huret Jubilee bottom bracket cable guide and Huret downtube clamp-on shifter bosses holding the cable stops there. I think now it needs a nice French bell.
Old 09-22-17, 03:17 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
Here's a very tidy 1976 I couldn't resist form the local CL. Not my size, but it was a joy to work on. Interesting year: they started to add Japanese parts: SR cranks, Suntour mechs, but still had all the lovely quirky Frenchiness going on. French stem, bars, BB, and curiously, a Suntour freewheel in metric/french threading. I had never seen one of those before.

Here is the original CL pic. (Yes: I bought it for the Cyclones, Bar-cons, and seat.) :|

Old 09-22-17, 07:10 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
Here's the 650B conversion on my 75 GJ: Weinmann rims, Fatty Rumpkin 42mm tires, Maillard 700 hubs, Weinmann 750 brakes, VO fenders.

Old 09-22-17, 07:47 PM
danmyersmn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
Here's a very tidy 1976 I couldn't resist form the local CL. Not my size, but it was a joy to work on. Interesting year: they started to add Japanese parts: SR cranks, Suntour mechs, but still had all the lovely quirky Frenchiness going on. French stem, bars, BB, and curiously, a Suntour freewheel in metric/french threading. I had never seen one of those before.

Here is the original CL pic. (Yes: I bought it for the Cyclones, Bar-cons, and seat.) :|

That red looks so sweet.
Old 09-23-17, 10:43 AM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
These are good looking bikes, and I love the idea of a 650c conversion. I recently picked one up for a song, and need to figure out what to do with it. It's a 1980, and at 25" it's too big to make work (my sweet spot is 23"). There's a practically identical frame on the "The frame doesn't fit..." thread, so a trade seems unlikely. I'll probably strip it, sell the frame/fork for whatever I can get, and wait to find a suitable frame that fits either myself or my wife.

Old 09-23-17, 09:39 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Very nice one on Evansville IN CL for $200.
https://evansville.craigslist.org/bik/d/motobecane-grand-jubilee/6264016169.html
Old 09-24-17, 08:24 AM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 65 Posts
Just checked that one out. Other than looking a little dirty, it has the desirable long cage Jubilee RD and the stronglight 49D crank. $200 is probably a good price. The silver and black combo doesn't seem as common as the silver/red or red/back. Somebody get this puppy!

Originally Posted by due ruote
Very nice one on Evansville IN CL for $200.
https://evansville.craigslist.org/bi...264016169.html
Old 09-27-17, 09:01 AM
rgechols

Bikes: 73 Moto Grand Jubilé, 96 Kona Explosif, 95 Novara Team, 84 Miyata 912, Tern Verge P9, 06 Lemond Sarthe

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Here's my 650b conversion, originally a mid-1970s model with a strange mix of campy rd and huret fd/shifters. Powdercoated and rebuilt a few years back. Now sporting a slightly longer stem and silver wheelset.

Motobecane Grand Jubilé by Reid Echols, on Flickr

Motobecane Grand Jubilé by Reid Echols, on Flickr

Last edited by rgechols; 09-27-17 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-27-17, 01:07 PM
Noah Scape
can't member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Here's a mid 70s mixte.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-24-18, 11:33 AM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
I just got this bike from a friend today, who was cleaning out her basement. I was told it was purchased around 1979 or 1980, but the bike looks to be from maybe around 1976. The frame is still Reynolds 531 at this point, but the derailleur is Cyclone GT. It's in very nice shape overall, considering its age and location in Upstate New York.

The seat needs to go straight to hell, and the rear brake cable needs to be replaced. But other than some elbow grease and some cleaning, it's pretty close to road worthy. The frame is just a touch small for me, but not too bad. I may require a longer seat post to keep the danger line inside of the frame.

Last edited by AlmostGreenGuy; 04-24-18 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-15-18, 04:36 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 60 Posts
1976 Motobecane Grand Jubilé (I think)

I recently came across this gem. I think it's a 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubilé, though I'd love that confirmed by the Motobecane experts. Might be a '77?

It has the Reynolds decal and the Huret RD, but a Campagnolo FD. I'm thinking of cleaning it up, flipping the QRs to the other side, and making it into a commuter with racks and (black?) mudguards, but basically leaving it "as is" as much as possible. Got it from the original owner and it's amazingly unmolested. Such a comfortable ride. I really lucked into this one!

If anyone has recommendations for nice fenders and nice racks, or at least a front rack and / or decaleur, please let me know.

Thanks!

Last edited by CriticalThought; 08-15-18 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-15-18, 05:15 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by CriticalThought
I recently came across this gem. I think it's a 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubilé, though I'd love that confirmed by the Motobecane experts. Might be a '77?

It has the Reynolds decal and the Huret RD, but a Campagnolo FD. I'm thinking of cleaning it up, flipping the QRs to the other side, and making it into a commuter with racks and (black?) mudguards, but basically leaving it "as is" as much as possible. Got it from the original owner and it's amazingly unmolested. Such a comfortable ride. I really lucked into this one!

If anyone has recommendations for nice fenders and nice racks, or at least a front rack and / or decaleur, please let me know.

Thanks!

Very nice! I have the same color scheme and Huret Jubilee group. I used Velo Orange zeppelin type fenders on mine, fitting is a pain if you still have the 27" wheels, it's really tight on tire clearance. I also had to trim metal where it mounts at the stays and I used VO's 'spring thing' there to make removing the rear wheel easier. VO racks fore and aft. I've posted a pic before but it got wiped out with P bucket, so in the Dept.of Redundancy Dept:

Last edited by PilotFishBob; 08-15-18 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-15-18, 05:49 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 60 Posts
Thanks @PilotFishBob. Good info. Gorgeous bike as well. I was thinking of keeping the 27 inch wheels but I haven't actually decided yet. Thanks for the photo!

Originally Posted by PilotFishBob
Very nice! I have the same color scheme and Huret Jubilee group. I used Velo Orange zeppelin type fenders on mine, fitting is a pain if you still have the 27" wheels, it's really tight on tire clearance. I also had to trim metal where it mounts at the stays and I used VO's 'spring thing' there to make removing the rear wheel easier. VO racks fore and aft. I've posted a pic before but it got wiped out with P bucket, so in the Dept.of Redundancy Dept:

Old 08-15-18, 05:51 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 280 Posts
Looks sorta like mine:

V/O fluted fenders on 27" wheels.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.