Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Am I just having bad luck with tubeless?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Am I just having bad luck with tubeless?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-20, 08:09 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Now you have a reason to try the Schwalbe Pro One TLE Addix tires. Let us know how they work out.
Yes WhyFi, let us know! Are you currently using the previous gen? I would be curious to see if the Addix are really narrower as I'm still undecided if I risk buying 28mm for my TCR or if I stick with good ol' 25mm.

I see that members recommended Orange over Stans, but I heard this product lasted way less than the other sealant. Is that true?

Orange = Regular : up to 45 days, Endurange : 30-60 days
Stans = Regular : 2 to 7 months, Race : inspect every 2 weeks (??)

Last edited by eduskator; 05-14-20 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-14-20, 08:52 AM
ronopolis

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Orange = Regular : up to 45 days, Endurange : 30-60 days
Stans = Regular : 2 to 7 months, Race : inspect every 2 weeks (??)
Yikes. That is a huge difference.
Old 05-14-20, 09:01 AM
ronopolis

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 2.0

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP here. Is there any suggested UST tire I should try besides buying my fourth Yksion? I am definitely going to switch sealant, but wondering if there is a more durable tire. One thing I like about the Ksyrium UST / Yksion combo is it just works. My first tubeless and I had zero issues installing, no leaks.
Old 05-14-20, 09:05 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
I would also be interested to know if and how often a cyclist should perform full maintenance of his TL tires (unmount, clean & remove dried up sealant, remount & put fresh sealant)?

Some of us will say never since the tire will wear out before needing this, but some riders do not ride much and they can go through a set of tire every 2-3 years instead of 6-12 months. I can only imagine how heavy and thick can the dried up sealant become inside the tire if a person needs to refill it so frequently.
Old 05-14-20, 09:19 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
I would also be interested to know if and how often a cyclist should perform full maintenance of his TL tires (unmount, clean & remove dried up sealant, remount & put fresh sealant)?

Some of us will say never since the tire will wear out before needing this, but some riders do not ride much and they can go through a set of tire every 2-3 years instead of 6-12 months. I can only imagine how heavy and thick can the dried up sealant become inside the tire if a person needs to refill it so frequently.
We've already got one thread that has morphed into to a tubeless catch-all - why not discuss there and keep this thread more relevant to the OP while keeping the general stuff in one place?
Old 05-14-20, 09:53 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Ronopolis, no need to say "OP here". "Thread Starter" is right under your name. Welcome! Hope to see you around.

I'm not commenting in this thread because I"m still dealing with tubes and flats. (Mavic Open and Velocity Aero rims, Paselas and Vittoria Open Paves and G+. When the rims die (all rim braked) I'll go back to tubulars which I rode for 2 decades. Light. fun and high speed blowouts aren't a big deal - except to the wallet.)

Ben
Old 05-14-20, 10:06 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by ronopolis
OP here. Is there any suggested UST tire I should try besides buying my fourth Yksion? I am definitely going to switch sealant, but wondering if there is a more durable tire. One thing I like about the Ksyrium UST / Yksion combo is it just works. My first tubeless and I had zero issues installing, no leaks.
This is one of the reasons that I've been put-off by Mavic tubeless options - they're very explicit in saying that you should not use any non-UST tires... and no other manufacturers are making UST-spec tires, so you're stuck with their brand of tires unless you want to go off-script.

Some new tires, like the Schwalbe Pro 1 Addix, supposedly match the new, but unreleased ETRTO tubeless spec. That tubeless spec is supposedly based on the UST spec, so they *might* be a good match. You could do a search to see if other Mavic wheel owners have tried them or any other free-range tubeless tires out there, but I have a feeling that most have stuck with Mavic.
Old 05-14-20, 10:32 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4740 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
This is one of the reasons that I've been put-off by Mavic tubeless options - they're very explicit in saying that you should not use any non-UST tires... and no other manufacturers are making UST-spec tires, so you're stuck with their brand of tires unless you want to go off-script.
Yeah.. bizarre that this UST "standard" was put out by 3 manufacturers together (Mavic, Michelin and Hutchinson).. yet Mavic is the only one making UST tires? Curiously, Mavic's role in this triumvirate was to provide the rim design, and other 2 companies provided the tire/bead construction expertise.

EDIT: Found this article.. interesting.. Anyone tried the Michelin Power Road tubeless tire?
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/miche...ess-road-tyre/

Last edited by Sy Reene; 05-14-20 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-14-20, 03:28 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
My most recent tire replacement was due to a slice that was just barely small enough to seal, but large enough to continually unseal and spew sealant. I tried riding it 3-4x after the slice, but I got tired of having sealant all over my shoes, socks and legs. I would check pressure loss at the end of each ride, and it was only 2-4psi.

The replacement tire would not seal to the rim; I tried using a co2 catridge. I took it to my lbs and it took them 20-30mins to get the job done. They tried all the tricks and it wasn't seating. They said they've run into this type of issue before with TL, but this was their first time experiencing it with a Mavic wheel/tire; don't believe the UST hype

If anyone has a TL tire suggestion that's similar in dimension and compound (or better) than the Yksion, I'm all ears.

Last edited by Princess_Allez; 05-18-20 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-14-20, 04:13 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,312 Times in 2,951 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
My most recent tire replacement was due to a slice that was just barely small enough to seal, but large enough to continually unseal and spew sealant. I tried riding it 3-4x after the slice, but I got tired of having sealant all over my shoes, socks and legs. I would check pressure loss at the end of each ride, and it was only 2-4psi.
Been there, done that ... multiple times.
Old 05-14-20, 08:13 PM
fried bake

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ronopolis
Can’t speak to durability with only 85 miles ridden, but I mounted 30!mm Schwalbe Pro One relatively easily on a disc Aksium UST with 19 ID rim. As it turns out, Merlin’s sale price was on the previous model, so I’m riding the previous generation TLE.
Old 05-18-20, 09:45 AM
alandmor

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Sounds a bit like my experience with the same rims, tires, sealant.
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...-000-cuts.html
Old 05-18-20, 11:17 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Mavic UST wheels and tires were designed as a system with very fine tolerances which is why they are easy to mount and inflate. I recently had a conversation with a rep from Competitive Cyclist who is a long time MB and, now, road tubeless guy. He suggested, and I bought, Vittoria Corsa Graphene 2.0 tires. My Yksion tires show no sign of significant wear. But, when it's time to replace I guess I'll find out if they are as easy to mount and inflate. He also said he runs his tires until he sees that they are deflating more than usual and then he renews the sealant.
Likes For bruce19: