Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Double fatalities Otay Lakes (San Diego)

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-21, 04:08 PM
midorix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ride here all the time and I know there are cars and motorcyclist that goes way too fast here. However, I just don't get this accident as this was in a straight away with good visibility.
Scary.
Really sorry to see both young lives lost.

Old 01-10-21, 04:50 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Jez.. looks like a head-on between bike and motorcycle. How does that happen?
Old 01-10-21, 06:05 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Sad day. Speed and target fixation are a deadly combination.
Old 01-11-21, 01:59 AM
btppberk

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 23 Posts
What a tragedy. It is very hard to understand how this could happen without substance abuse or flagrant speeding.
Old 01-11-21, 05:00 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
have ridden that stretch of otay lakes rd. in both directions literally hundreds of times since i lived and cycled nearby for a decade plus another decade of the occasional foray along that stretch. no bike lanes on either side but low traffic unless on the weekends. weekends are always when team ninja comes out to play. not specifically blaming the motorcyclist but, imho, there used to be a good share of "weekend warriors" based on my observations and living with someone that rode motorcycles and knew crews that did as well in the area. it has never been the harley/indian/touring crowd along that corridor...it's always been the crotch rocket (esp weekend) crowd that exceeded the speed limit by a lot. the sightlines are excellent unless you're exceeding 125 mph which i have anecdotally observed motorcyclists doing multiple times. my suspicion is dui or overconfidence. with the posted mph, good pavement quality and the sightlines in the area, it should never have happened. rip. there's a reason why i would occasionally see the chp out there on the weekends. condolences, blessings and best wishes to those impacted. i have feeling that this incident affects two friends of mine that live in the area and ride with a decent sized group in the area on the weekends. not seeing their usual sunday rides on strava.

Last edited by diphthong; 01-11-21 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-11-21, 01:40 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Rip
Old 01-11-21, 09:36 PM
btppberk

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
condolences, blessings and best wishes to those impacted. i have feeling that this incident affects two friends of mine that live in the area and ride with a decent sized group in the area on the weekends. not seeing their usual sunday rides on strava.
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope your friends and their friends are OK.
Old 01-16-21, 09:35 PM
btppberk

The Union Tribune had a little more info about this tragedy (below). It also reported that a motorcyclist died that same day on 78 near Santa Ysabel when they lost control and hit a car:"Authorities on Wednesday identified three men who were killed in two separate weekend crashes, one involving a motorcyclist and cyclist near Jamul, and one involving a motorcyclist near Santa Ysabel.

The first occurred shortly before 9:30 a.m. Sunday on Otay Lakes Road near the Pio Pico RV Resort and Campground, where 43-year-old motorcyclist Jonathan Michael Charbonnet crashed into the back of a bicycle being ridden by Julius Cunanan, 40, according to the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Cunanan was the last in a line of other cyclists who were riding east, California Highway Patrol Sgt. Steven Toth told OnScene TV on Sunday. Charbonnet was also heading east, in a group with three friends heading to Tecate, when he came upon the cyclists and hit Cunanan.

Charbonnet and Cunana, both Chula Vista residents, were thrown to the ground and died at the scene, according to the Medical Examiner’s Office."

Here's a link to the cyclist's gofundme

Last edited by btppberk; 01-16-21 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-16-21, 11:25 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by btppberk
The Union Tribune had a little more info about this tragedy (below). It also reported that a motorcyclist died that same day on 78 near Santa Ysabel when they lost control and hit a car:"Authorities on Wednesday identified three men who were killed in two separate weekend crashes, one involving a motorcyclist and cyclist near Jamul, and one involving a motorcyclist near Santa Ysabel.

The first occurred shortly before 9:30 a.m. Sunday on Otay Lakes Road near the Pio Pico RV Resort and Campground, where 43-year-old motorcyclist Jonathan Michael Charbonnet crashed into the back of a bicycle being ridden by Julius Cunanan, 40, according to the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Cunanan was the last in a line of other cyclists who were riding east, California Highway Patrol Sgt. Steven Toth told OnScene TV on Sunday. Charbonnet was also heading east, in a group with three friends heading to Tecate, when he came upon the cyclists and hit Cunanan.

Charbonnet and Cunana, both Chula Vista residents, were thrown to the ground and died at the scene, according to the Medical Examiner’s Office."

Here's a link to the cyclist's gofundme
thank you.
Old 01-18-21, 01:11 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
So not a head-on.... Bicycle rear-ended. Bad
Old 01-18-21, 04:52 PM
matt92037

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
You could not pay me enough to ride in that area. I drive the roads frequently and always think to myself NFW.
Old 01-18-21, 08:34 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

not sure there's a perfect place for cyclists to ride. in the last few years in socal, we've had cyclists hit by wrong way drivers, drivers in/on
dedicated bike paths, while stopped at intersections, drivers fleeing the authorities, closed roads, etc along with the usual left hook/right hooks,
"came out of nowhere" and blinded by the sun hijinks as well as the dui crowd that can run into storefronts/houses and drive into
a body of water. we even had a cyclist riding on a dedicated and elevated bike path killed by a motorist that ran off the road, up an embankment
with vegetation and through a 6 foot high chain link fence to end up on the bike path to administer tragedy.