Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Fit with front child seat

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-20, 02:46 PM
maladroit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hello!

I recently installed a Yepp Mini child seat, which mounts on the quill stem. My kid loves it and it has been a great experience. BUT there was not enough room between the child seat and my saddle to step off the saddle and put my foot down when stopped. I had to drop the seatpost all the way down so I could at least reach my toes from seated position. Cycling like that in turn causes knee pain, which I'm concerned will cause some damage.

How do folks handle this? It didn't feel safe to hop up and down like on a pennyfarthing when I needed to focus on keeping the kid balanced. Do you just get used to it? Are there other bikes that have enough of a setback? This is an 80s Nishiki 12-speed, which is pretty laid back geometry to begin with; they don't sell any seatposts in my size that would go farther back.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 08-07-20, 03:12 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I handled it by switching to a rear seat.
Genesis 49:16-17