Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

I need help or ideas on my calorie intake. beware wacky human involved.

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

I need help or ideas on my calorie intake. beware wacky human involved.

Old 10-28-20, 09:34 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I've had this idea that the human body is a wonderful thing that can do so very many different chemical processes to create things it needs from various other sources. I've also wondered if in cases of chronic poor nutrition early on, that some of these processes are unable to continue and can't be restarted.

Don't know what that means for you. But there is a kid in the UK that went blind because he would only eat sausage and chips during all his early years. Not that this has any bearing toward my first paragraph.

https://www.newsweek.com/teenager-bl...school-1456937

https://www.nst.com.my/world/2019/09...to-chips-years

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9089331.html

You might just be letting your mind and anecdotal experiences control you too much. If medical people see no reason you can't eat other stuff, then maybe it's just you not liking to go through twinges and things you might have as your body adjusts to new things.

Last edited by Iride01; 10-28-20 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-28-20, 08:31 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
Well I know some in in my head this has been hell and it has messed me up. But when this started out of no wear my lungs just got so tight I could not not do much of anything but sit in my chair to keep breathing I spent two weeks before I could drag myself on the bus to the doctor as I had no insurance and no doctor. They tried treating me for asthma but it did not help they gave me prednisone and that Tok care fit. I hd that happen 20 or more times till I learned what bothered me. I freaked out my family big time with my breathing problems. My wife aft years of this started having problems with complex carbs. She would stop eating them and feel better than after a year she would start eating them and be Fien for awhile than start having problems again. All of our dogs had issues with all grains. We finally stated them all with grain free foods. This ha changed over the years it used to be I could eat a lot of things like veggies and most nuts as long as did not eat carbs veggies. But every time I would try to eat carbs on a regular basis I would start getting worse and the food problems would get worse. When my esophagus went nuclear (imagine your worst heart burn 24/7 for 6 months) I had to only protein only and no strong flavors of anything just meat and plain cheese and nuts and unsweetened almond milk. My body said no to veggies after that for a year but I have been slowly able to add them back if I am careful. But I have went through many spells where I tried changing my diet and t seemed fine till I found myself so physically weak I could not squeeze a clamp at work whiteout shaking with the effort I could not carry anything more then a pound without instant fatigue.
I feel better now with my strict control of food the nI have felt in 25 years. I have more energy and I seldom get sick.
When I finally got insurance and went through the hell of going to doctors and all the tests. They found kidney disease extra heart beat pre diabetic and I had my lifelong heartburn.
All those are gone now with my strict diet control. Hell I had cholesterol tests a couple hours after bacon and eggs and nuts and they are fine. The first time in my life I don't have heartburn all the time. I have more energy than I have had in at least 25 years (its a little lower now).
Has this damaged me mentally? Hell yes its been torture and has made my life hell. And I bet some is mental. But I know I would add a new food like liquid smoke to my jersey and it would be Fien for several months till I notice I am really tired all the time. I eliminate it and I get better.
Docs hardly even take gut bacteria seriously and I could not take any of the meds that would help my heartburn so the GI docs just gave up on any help (one actually said that) I had a really good GP that saw how the foods effected me. She could not help much but she knew and gave me some ideas that helped my esophagus.I had to work out how to heal my esophagus myself and it hurt so bad it destroyed my life for awhile. I spent 10k or more on tests and such and never got one once of relief . Hell it took them 6 months before I got a MRI to find my torn rotator cuff and turn muscles in my arm after I fell over on my e scooter. The docs made my esophagus worse with all the anti inflammatories and the Tylenol They told me to take for the pain. All I wanted was something to put on my arm to help the pain. But I was in so much pain I had to take it every 6 hours and it tore up my esophagus.
Now I cant take any pain meds or pretty much any meds as the y'all hurt my esophagus. I have no clue what will happen if I need to take something and I cant. It is a big worry I will end up in the hospital and how would I even eat there?
Old 10-29-20, 09:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
Well I know some in in my head this has been hell and it has messed me up. But when this started out of no wear my lungs just got so tight I could not not do much of anything but sit in my chair to keep breathing I spent two weeks before I could drag myself on the bus to the doctor as I had no insurance and no doctor. They tried treating me for asthma but it did not help they gave me prednisone and that Tok care fit. I hd that happen 20 or more times till I learned what bothered me. I freaked out my family big time with my breathing problems. My wife aft years of this started having problems with complex carbs. She would stop eating them and feel better than after a year she would start eating them and be Fien for awhile than start having problems again. All of our dogs had issues with all grains. We finally stated them all with grain free foods. This ha changed over the years it used to be I could eat a lot of things like veggies and most nuts as long as did not eat carbs veggies. But every time I would try to eat carbs on a regular basis I would start getting worse and the food problems would get worse. When my esophagus went nuclear (imagine your worst heart burn 24/7 for 6 months) I had to only protein only and no strong flavors of anything just meat and plain cheese and nuts and unsweetened almond milk. My body said no to veggies after that for a year but I have been slowly able to add them back if I am careful. But I have went through many spells where I tried changing my diet and t seemed fine till I found myself so physically weak I could not squeeze a clamp at work whiteout shaking with the effort I could not carry anything more then a pound without instant fatigue.
I feel better now with my strict control of food the nI have felt in 25 years. I have more energy and I seldom get sick.
When I finally got insurance and went through the hell of going to doctors and all the tests. They found kidney disease extra heart beat pre diabetic and I had my lifelong heartburn.
All those are gone now with my strict diet control. Hell I had cholesterol tests a couple hours after bacon and eggs and nuts and they are fine. The first time in my life I don't have heartburn all the time. I have more energy than I have had in at least 25 years (its a little lower now).
Has this damaged me mentally? Hell yes its been torture and has made my life hell. And I bet some is mental. But I know I would add a new food like liquid smoke to my jersey and it would be Fien for several months till I notice I am really tired all the time. I eliminate it and I get better.
Docs hardly even take gut bacteria seriously and I could not take any of the meds that would help my heartburn so the GI docs just gave up on any help (one actually said that) I had a really good GP that saw how the foods effected me. She could not help much but she knew and gave me some ideas that helped my esophagus.I had to work out how to heal my esophagus myself and it hurt so bad it destroyed my life for awhile. I spent 10k or more on tests and such and never got one once of relief . Hell it took them 6 months before I got a MRI to find my torn rotator cuff and turn muscles in my arm after I fell over on my e scooter. The docs made my esophagus worse with all the anti inflammatories and the Tylenol They told me to take for the pain. All I wanted was something to put on my arm to help the pain. But I was in so much pain I had to take it every 6 hours and it tore up my esophagus.
Now
I cant take any pain meds or pretty much any meds as the y'all hurt my esophagus. I have no clue what will happen if I need to take something and I cant. It is a big worry I will end up in the hospital and how would I even eat there?
Sitting in the chair to help ease the pain and keep you breathing. I think that's a classic case of indigestion. Isn't that what you put that down as? I experienced that once after quickly eating a big greasy burger and tater tots while probably being slightly dehydrated. I passed out from it. One of my episodes of syncope the doctors can't quite explain yet.

In general, foods with complex carbs, IMO are the ones that have the nutrients people need. And in general, foods with only simple carbs tend to lack the variety of nutrients needed. They may have an overabundance of one or two things, but not everything you need. Carbs, fats and proteins are not nutrients in my world. They are only packages that carry nutrients. The package itself can be stored or burned as fuel or used as a building block for more muscle and tissue. But the package itself is not nutrition. Nutrients supply the many chemical processes that happen in our body. And some of those processes are specific about the nutrient they want.

Not quite sure where you left off about the reflux and indigestion. Did you quit taking meds for that because of your esophagus that sounds like it is damaged because of chronic and long untreated reflux/heartburn issue? Did you ever see if a compounding pharmacy can provide you that medicine in a better form you can tolerate? Indigestion, which generally is treatable, might be the main issue you are having with foods containing complex carbs. I was on Omeprazole for indigestion and reflux for a short time. To me a reasonably size gelatin capsule, easy to swallow. And seemed to be effective.

What ever, I wish you the best. Probably you aren't alone. Have you looked to see if there are others with similar issues of your severity?
Old 10-29-20, 03:29 PM
fooferdoggie 

No I had to stay sitting down because it made breathing a bit easier. it was so bad any movement made it worse. all I could do is sit and only move enough to eat or go to the bathroom or bed. after 2 weeks of not getting better I had to walk about a mile to catches buses to go to the doctor. a slug could have passed me. that happened maybe 20 times over the years till I got control of eating and realized what foods were doing it. Now I don't have those problems unless I get really sick then it happens. I would have to cough to make my lungs loosen and I had to cough till they did or I could not breath. it was scary as hell and I passed out once.
I had taken care of must of my stomach problems when I stopped eating carbs so much for many years. but only truly got better when I went a year with pretty much no carbs. Now I am almost free of it for the first time in my life. Yes my poor esophagus trashed so bad and now it runs my life. to keep it from hurting I cant eat anything strongly flavored and liquids are the worst. pretty much water or unsweetened almond milk is all I can drink on a regular basis. nothing acidic or spicy or hot. I tried many many meds and they all hurt it. I think that's what made it start getting out of control in the first place many years ago but who can really say? there is some stomach problems that ran through the male side of one of my grandpas line my brother has had heartburn all his life too. but he has to eat protonics like candy instead of controlling what he eats. I think my daughter has some carb issues too but she does not like to think about it.

Yes complex carbs are the worst. rice and beans are really bad. I have not eaten a bean in 20 years it was that bad. I went years without rice and when I tried it a few years ago it was really bad. what I used to eat once a month and it would beat me up a bit.

I went a year without eating any grains till I attempted it again. I suffered for 3 days afterwards. so I ma only eat some wheat at Christmas but the problem is I cant eat enough to make it worth while or I get too many carbs and suffer with that too. After a year of not eating cabs my body started getting more and more sensitive to them. So if I start eating some a couple times a week i will start getting bad heartburn again. so no mater what I cant eat carbs on any basis or it will kill my guts. but they cause me to gain weight and I don't get energy out of them and I will get really sick if I eat them regularly so they are out of my diet.
I have talked to others with food intolerance's for sure. but doctors only just acknowledge them they don't really want to deal with it. I mean they hardly want to deal with gut bacteria at all till just recently. but there is not much that can be done but to avoid the foods that cause the issues. tests can show problem foods but it is not always reliable and it means you have to eat the food for the test to show its a problem. since doctors cant treat it they just lump it into irritable bowel syndrome.

When my esophagus got so bad and I found no medical relief at all for it I knew I had to take control of my eating if I wanted to live or at least not constantly suffer so I did. It has greatly improved my energy levels and my other problems have gotten far less severe. but they start up again if I get off track for short periods. so I finally got it through my head I can no longer eat for fun. I have to strictly control what I eat fi I want to function. its hard as hell and food is pretty much just a means to survive and not rally for enjoyment . I am way to limited for enjoyment I have to eat pretty much the same thing every day with only a little variety but I can only feel good by doing it. my body has beaten that into me I have fought it tooth and nail and I always loose.
Old 10-30-20, 09:14 PM
fooferdoggie 

well after not eating the jerky or the chocolate almond milk fora few days I felt a little better today and the ride was better. I will try the chocolate almond milk after I get back to normal. that could take a couple of weeks to recover.
this weakness started long before I knew I had problems with carbs. after all the antibiotics I got in my 20's toasted my gut bacteria. thats what started things. I did not know then or think much about it but after that some time I started getting wearing. later I found I ad lost a lot of muscle. I used to be strong as a horse. I loaded boxcars with 100# bags of potatoes all day.
what I don't ow is when I start feeling weaker or my muscles feel tired is if I am loosing some muscle tone. I was having trouble picking stuff up last week that I did not have a problem with a month ago.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 10-30-20 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-31-20, 09:21 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I can't figure out what your problem is. You know what caused your current digestive issues, but you won't do anything about it, like finding right doctor. Your self-diagnosis makes sense to me.
Old 10-31-20, 10:52 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I can't figure out what your problem is. You know what caused your current digestive issues, but you won't do anything about it, like finding right doctor. Your self-diagnosis makes sense to me.
How do you go about finding the right doctor? No one has had a clue about it. I know what caused it mostly but how do you fix messed up gut bacteria? Trying to get a poop transplant in the us is pretty hard I know I have tried talking to my doctors about it. but who knows if it would help? it has only been recently that my gut bacteria seems to be stable and strong. gut bacteria wants carbs it does not like living off of protein. I have talked to a lot of people with food intolerances. there is not much if anything doctors can do about it they all recommend the elimination diet to find what's bothering you. I have done that and still do that. I think it started as food allergies and eased up to food intolerances. but as far as my research has shown there is nothing to be done about it but to not eat those foods. Though they say to eliminate that food and slowly introduce it again later but that has never worked for me. I have improved my but bacteria with carefully selected probiotics. but now they seem to cause issues its like the new bacteria overwhelms what I have now and causes diarrhea. The biggest problem is the worst one. I have not been able to add anything new to my diet since the started pretty much the only thing I can remember is unsweetened almond milk. every med every supplement pretty much anything new causes problems if I take it on a regular basis. I could not even add extra potassium to my diet to try to help with leg cramps. Then my esophagus got so bad and that eliminated most meds too. I have talked to dietitians and all I really got was I needed more fat in my diet. But my esophagus makes that hard too. plus even if I don't eat any carbs I don't go into ketosis unlike everyone else.
All I have to pay extreme attention to my body and control what I eat and exercise. Doing that my heath has improved and it may be at the best Level its been in over 25 years since this has started. The symptoms have changed mostly after my esophagus went bad. Now foods that Bothe me mostly just take me tired unless I keep eating them then it would get worse. But I recover faster now then I never used to.
Old 10-31-20, 11:26 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
How do you go about finding the right doctor? No one has had a clue about it. I know what caused it mostly but how do you fix messed up gut bacteria? Trying to get a poop transplant in the us is pretty hard I know I have tried talking to my doctors about it. but who knows if it would help? it has only been recently that my gut bacteria seems to be stable and strong. gut bacteria wants carbs it does not like living off of protein. I have talked to a lot of people with food intolerances. there is not much if anything doctors can do about it they all recommend the elimination diet to find what's bothering you. I have done that and still do that. I think it started as food allergies and eased up to food intolerances. but as far as my research has shown there is nothing to be done about it but to not eat those foods. Though they say to eliminate that food and slowly introduce it again later but that has never worked for me. I have improved my but bacteria with carefully selected probiotics. but now they seem to cause issues its like the new bacteria overwhelms what I have now and causes diarrhea. The biggest problem is the worst one. I have not been able to add anything new to my diet since the started pretty much the only thing I can remember is unsweetened almond milk. every med every supplement pretty much anything new causes problems if I take it on a regular basis. I could not even add extra potassium to my diet to try to help with leg cramps. Then my esophagus got so bad and that eliminated most meds too. I have talked to dietitians and all I really got was I needed more fat in my diet. But my esophagus makes that hard too. plus even if I don't eat any carbs I don't go into ketosis unlike everyone else.
All I have to pay extreme attention to my body and control what I eat and exercise. Doing that my heath has improved and it may be at the best Level its been in over 25 years since this has started. The symptoms have changed mostly after my esophagus went bad. Now foods that Bothe me mostly just take me tired unless I keep eating them then it would get worse. But I recover faster now then I never used to.
Have you googled "fecal transplant doctors"? In medical terminology, it's called fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT). It is a fairly involved thing, more complicated than one would think. While the transplant itself is simple, the medical community advises (I don't really know what they call it) an assay of the bacteria present in to donor's poop, to make certain that no bad guys are included. That said, I suppose it's possible that FMT specialists have a good donors list.

I got to looking into this for a riding buddy who has early onset Alzheimer's. FMT has been shown to slow it down. Weird, huh? They call it the gut-brain connection. It also turns out that exceptional endurance athletes have similar populations of intestinal flora.

Raising the head of your bed didn't help your esophagus?
Old 10-31-20, 01:12 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Have you googled "fecal transplant doctors"? In medical terminology, it's called fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT). It is a fairly involved thing, more complicated than one would think. While the transplant itself is simple, the medical community advises (I don't really know what they call it) an assay of the bacteria present in to donor's poop, to make certain that no bad guys are included. That said, I suppose it's possible that FMT specialists have a good donors list.

I got to looking into this for a riding buddy who has early onset Alzheimer's. FMT has been shown to slow it down. Weird, huh? They call it the gut-brain connection. It also turns out that exceptional endurance athletes have similar populations of intestinal flora.

Raising the head of your bed didn't help your esophagus?
yes but no doctor wants to deal with it. there was one place that does it they supply the local hospitals I contacted them but could never get communication going. gut bacteria is hard to deal with with doctors and in the us. but Now with how I found how carbs have caused my lifelong heartburn it may not be a good idea since I cant eat them no matter what. I would have to find a donor who does not eat carbs I bet. but even getting a doctor to believe me has been pretty much impossible. I had a great GP doc she actually listened and checked many things and helped me learn to deal with my esophagus. but the rest of the decocts it was hopeless. I had the chance to go to a better quality insurance plan and lost her. but that was a mistake new docs have been worse. my new doc wont even believe me when I tell him if I take Tylenol it hurts my esophagus.
one thing I have learned no matter what healing is extremely slow with this a year of no carbs is what got the healing going. its what my body needed and I am getting better slowly the effects of eating foods that bother me is far less then it used to be.
I think its amazing I can ride 250 miles a week now. my esophagus runs my life even wearing a mask makes it hurt. any strong flavor makes it hurt too much fart makes it hurt liquid fat makes it hurt all the meds I tried makes it hurt sour makes it hurt sweet makes it hurt.
I really think there is no medical help available and I just need to control what I eat.. but my long term worries is fi. inner a medication and I cant take it. like the day me esophagus went bad my blood pressure went way up. it has always been normal it has gone down some but it has never reached the same level. no doctor can tell me why. my BP did not even go up after I tore my rotator cuff and I was in a crapload of pain. my esophagus is a hell of a lot better then it ever has been but my bp is still on the high side.
but after over 10k in medical costs for tests and such all I got was physical therapy for my shoulder and some good advice from my GP I got no relief at all for all my problems. all the test were pretty much normal my nutrition levels are fine but for high b vitamin levels.
Old 10-31-20, 02:24 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

You admit that your methods aren't working, yet you poo poo any suggestions your trained medical people have asked you to do. Trying what they ask for a time or two is not giving things a chance. Two weeks would be minimum to even begin to say you gave a recommendation a chance. IMO.

Your burning esophagus is from reflux isn't it? Then get with a gastroenterologist and take what ever medicine you have to to stop that. If you can't get that medicine down because it hurts to much to swallow it, then get with a compounding pharmacy and see if they can provide that in a better form for you.

However there is also a good chance if the reflux has been going on for a long time that the valve between your stomach and esophagus is damaged or just doesn't close tightly. There are surgeries for that. But a doctor that sees you as not willing to do what they ask for a time aren't going to want to mess with you.

I'm not as big on the idea your immediate issues will be cured by changing your colon's biological makeup. In the long run that might be a thing to consider. But the heartburn needs to be fixed first.
Old 10-31-20, 06:10 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Iride01
You admit that your methods aren't working, yet you poo poo any suggestions your trained medical people have asked you to do. Trying what they ask for a time or two is not giving things a chance. Two weeks would be minimum to even begin to say you gave a recommendation a chance. IMO.

Your burning esophagus is from reflux isn't it? Then get with a gastroenterologist and take what ever medicine you have to to stop that. If you can't get that medicine down because it hurts to much to swallow it, then get with a compounding pharmacy and see if they can provide that in a better form for you.

However there is also a good chance if the reflux has been going on for a long time that the valve between your stomach and esophagus is damaged or just doesn't close tightly. There are surgeries for that. But a doctor that sees you as not willing to do what they ask for a time aren't going to want to mess with you.

I'm not as big on the idea your immediate issues will be cured by changing your colon's biological makeup. In the long run that might be a thing to consider. But the heartburn needs to be fixed first.
Huh not working? I said that I feel better than I have in 25 years. I have more energy when I control what I eat then ever before. I was feeling low the last month because I was eating a couple things I should not eat all the time. So now that I stopped I am starting to feel better again. I don't have problems swallowing thats not what I am taking about with esophagus pain. It hurts hours after I eat it usually takes a few hours unless it is is something acidic or spicy. meds can take hours to make it hurt. or a mask will make it ache right away. I have Had two upper endoscopies in the last two years and as I have known since I was 11 I have a hiatal hernia and I have Barrett esophagus but neither one of those has anything to do with my reflex as I have talked to a surgeon about it. I suffered a lot of pain trying out the meds that should help. I would take them till I could not stand the pain then I would have to stop. Several antidepressants that are supposed to help relax the esophagus and almost all of the acid reflux meds. they all hurt it and made it worse.
The doctors did not give me any advice once They found I could not take the meds. Well they gave the usual heartburn advice but all that has been behind me for many years. Cutting back on carbs years ago eliminated most of the acid reflux at night so I did not need to prop the bed up I don't eat late and all that. The one thing they never talked about was carbs causing heartburn. Plus they never believed that I have had heartburn since I could remember and thats about 50 years. Just taking an alieve one time made my esophagus ache for 3 days after. If I drink carbinated things very often it will ache for days. When I was looking for info I found out its called esophageal hypersensitivity. The antidepressants are prescribed to help it but in my case they just made it worse.
So saying I did not follow doctors advice is not so I never got any advice really. Just the general heartburn info that I know by heart.
But I have pretty much eliminated my heartburn well down to at most a few times a week or less if I control my carbs carefully. Once I controlled my carbs and almost eliminated them the heartburn went away. My esophagus seems to be healing too but it is a slow process.
But on the food front I have had no doctor advice but what my GP gave me like fat causing my esophagus to hurt and a few other things. The docs pretty much dismissed the problem or ignored it or called it irritate bowel syndrome. They just lump it into there and there is not much treatment. But I don't have any of those symptoms anyway. The only advice was to listen to my body and what foods it likes and I do that.
I was desperate for doctors help about my food problems and esophagus. But all the meds don't work and no one has had a clue about the food issues.
If I watch closely what I eat I feel better then I have in more then 25 years my heartburn is almost gone for the first time ever (I used to drink maloxx all the time as a teen) and my energy levels are improving. But I have to be extremely strict with eating to get these benefits. I was slipping with the jerky and the unsweetened chocolate almond milk. I didn't feel bad after eating them it took months of daily eating for them to effect me. That happens when something only slightly irritates me. (Happened when I changed bacon brands) When this started one bite of something that bothered me would cause a lot of problems Now not so much. I bet I could eat some seasonings and such now but I conditioned myself long ago to stop eating them because they caused problems along with almost everything else.
Lal I have found I can eat on a daily basis is meat and eggs and cheese and sunflower seeds and unsweetened almond milk and daily vitamins and fibre. I can also take a antacid and I can handle Benadryl and thats pretty much all I an ingest every day. Everything else I have to limit to a few times a week at max to never. My body has beaten that lemon into me in 25 years of trying to eat more.
Old 10-31-20, 08:14 PM
fooferdoggie 

When my esophagus went nuclear 2 years ago on the forth of July it was so bad imagine your worst heart burn non stop 24/7 for 6 months. I went into urgent care the next day. I had freaked out my doctor because she emailed on the forth and I told her how bad it was and it was making my left arm ache. ( this took al long time to realize how it hurt my arm because had damaged it so much a few months ago) and I got a call but a couple docs wanting me to go to the emergency room for a ekg. I said I would go to urgent care a bit later. Took 3 hours to get through and all I got was an appointment for a GI doctor and a lidocaine drink to sooth it helped for 30 minutes. But it took 6 months to go through all the test including the horrible tube down my nose into my stomach to monitor my stomach ph for 24 hours. As I went through the slow testing process all I really got besides the usual acid reflux info that I could dictate back. Plus all the usual heartburn meds. But it got to the point that I knew I was not going to get relief and if I did not take my life into my hands I would be in big trouble.
My life was so bad then I hurt so much between my esophagus and my torn muscles in my arm and shoulder I could do nothing but work as best I can and go home and put lego together to try to get my mind off it. That forced me to eat the plants of foods and protein only its all I could do to ease the pain. That forth was the day my bp went way up and ya it could have been the pain. But it's still a little too high and no one can tell me why. I am not in plain like I used to be. Even the day I tore my rotator cuff my bp was normal.
They still worried about my heart so I had a stress test too heart was fine. It was just my esophagus made my damaged arm hurt.
But this was kind of a wake up call that I had to be far more in control of what I eat or this would just get worse. And in doing so I found that carbs caused my heartburn. It took a year of not eating them for that to happen. Plus once I stopped eating them I found I could not eat very much anymore as my body was far more sensitive to them. Plus I learned that there was a difference between heartburn pain and esophagus pain.
My wife suffered and still suffers from my problem we could not go out to eat at all anymore as there was nothing I could eat. I could have a steak but I can buy good steake for a lot less and I don't get turned on by steak. We could not travel at all because how can you find plan meat to eat when you're not at home.
Things are better now but I have to keep strict control of my diet. This is a typical dinner I have been eating for 15 or more years. Just p-lain ribs with salt cooked till crispy to get some flavor. No one would eat this every day if they had any choice about it. I would skip dinner but if I didn't to eat dinner my esophagus used to kill me if I skipped a meal.

Old 11-01-20, 04:32 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Seriously, you need to go see a medical professional and registered dietician. Your problem is far too complex to be solved by opinions on internet forums.
Old 11-01-20, 09:07 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Seriously, you need to go see a medical professional and registered dietician. Your problem is far too complex to be solved by opinions on internet forums.
did you not read what I wrote? I have spent two years doing that with no help. no doctor has a clue and the dietitians are lost since I can't eat anything they are used too. I don't expect my problems to be solved by anyone anymore. I have spent over 10 grand on tests with no one having a clue.
Old 11-01-20, 11:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Well don't get too frustrated at us. It's too hard to keep all the events together correctly from one post to the next. And again you are the "wacky human" of your thread title. Your experience is too far from anything I have known.

If you feel you've given GI doctors a fair shot and taken medicine for heartburn and reflux, then what about an allergist? Perhaps is there something you eat or drink that you are allergic to that inflames your esophagus? Or maybe something in your environment?

And then the fact you've mentioned your spouse has similar issues. Was there something up with what you both ate or drank several years ago? Does any other member of that event have similar?
Old 11-01-20, 02:33 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Iride01
Well don't get too frustrated at us. It's too hard to keep all the events together correctly from one post to the next. And again you are the "wacky human" of your thread title. Your experience is too far from anything I have known.

If you feel you've given GI doctors a fair shot and taken medicine for heartburn and reflux, then what about an allergist? Perhaps is there something you eat or drink that you are allergic to that inflames your esophagus? Or maybe something in your environment?

And then the fact you've mentioned your spouse has similar issues. Was there something up with what you both ate or drank several years ago? Does any other member of that event have similar?
I was only frustrated with being told I did not follow docs orders or did not go to them. I went to way to many of them I even changed insurance plans to try a higher quality group. I talked to a allergist and when this first started it was more of an allergic reaction but now its just intolerance and there is no treatment for it yet. carbs are my biggest enemy and I really need to totally eliminate them. but my diet is so restricted I will eat a little just for variety. but I eat far less then I used too and even time I eat them now they just make me more and more tired.
I talked to 4 or 5 GI doctors. they have been the worst about listening to my food intolerances. I talked to a surgeon and he was really good to talk to and did not recommend getting my hearia fixed.
I think I just get frustrated with my food limits and How food effects me. Travel is almost impossible as trying to find food I can eat the I don't cook is really hard. but careful eating is the only thing that makes me feel good. I have gotten far better about controlling what I eat but it is still very easy to mess up. I have to spend way too much money on food. decent meat is expensive and I cant extend it or season it. half a pound of different cheeses a day gets expensive too. 3# or more of bacon a week is about the cheapest part of my diet. I bet I spend 40.00 or more on cheese a week.
what bothers me most is I spend so much on food that I don't really enjoy eating. food anymore I have to eat and I cant eat food that makes me happy without paying a price for it. I am worried that my high protein diet is going to harm me in the long run.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 11-01-20 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-26-20, 09:32 PM
fooferdoggie 

so it seems chocolate will make me tired even with no sugar. but my body reacts to very few carbs now. not sure how low it is but It may be less then 50 calories from carbs. I feel sluggish when I ride if I eat much of any carbs or chocolate. I wish I knew why my body has so much of ap problem with carbs. but the more I eat the more sensitive my body becomes to them. I wish I could find out why but no doctor has any ideas. all my research it may be that my food intolerance that causes me to have to strictly control what I eat like hardly any veggies and food so low fiber may cause carbs to be absorbed too fast and have a lot larger impact. my nutritionist though that maybe my body converts excess protein into glucose and maybe my body gets as much as it can handle from that and anything more becomes a problem. Plus since if I have anything with carbs its simple cabs because I cant tolerate anything that has complex carbs.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 11-26-20 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-30-20, 03:20 AM
mr_pedro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
ok I need to tell you about my wacky body as it is not even close to normal.

first I can't eat carbs of any kind but in tiny amounts. they cause a lot of problems the worst is a lifetime of heartburn really bad heart burn. like your worst heartburn 24/7 for years heart burn. Also they cause me to gain weight even if I cut calories say if I ate a candy bar I would gain 2 pounds the next day and it would take all week to loose that weight. if I do it twice in a week I wont loose it at all. [...]
I can comment on this part where you say carbs will make you gain weight and it taking a week to loose again.

Not all weight is the same, there is muscle, fat and water. Most likely you are worried with loosing fat and if you are weighing your self daily, you should know a bit about how water weight fluctuates such that it does not lead you to the wrong conclusions.

Simply spoken, when you eat carbs this is stored in your body as glycogen and when that storage is full it will be stored as fat. That glycogen storage can weigh a few kg as it also contains a lot of water. This is the weight increase decrease you are seeing when you eat more carbs than average after a period of low carb, it is just that storage filling up and then getting depleted again as you go back to low carb.

So don't confuse this with your ultimate goal, which is loosing weight from fat. Short term quick fluctuations in weight are mostly water weight and will net out over time since you can not keep loosing water. While weight loss from fat can be seen as the longer term trend in weight loss and occurs if you maintain a calorie deficit over a long period of time regardless of carb consumption.
Old 12-01-20, 08:50 AM
fooferdoggie 

Thanks for that info. it seems to take very little in the way of carbs to cause this. the more often I eat them the worse it is. I really need carbs down to around 15 grams a day or so. if I keep it that low my rides start getting better and I feel better. but its hard since I am so limited on what I can eat I eat carbs mostly just for flavor.
Old 12-01-20, 09:51 AM
mr_pedro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
I don't know much about your medical condition. I did come by the carnivore diet, which is advised to people that are very intolerant to plants. And it can also be used to then slowly introduce plants in the diet to see what works.

I also just noticed you wrote in the first post that you can't get into ketosis. That is to be expected if you are eating mostly protein with little fat and little carbs.
Protein also causes an insulin spike that prevents ketosis. So for a ketogenic diet you need high fat / moderate protein / low carb

see for example here: https://www.ruled.me/too-much-protein-bad-for-ketosis/
Old 12-01-20, 06:53 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by mr_pedro
I don't know much about your medical condition. I did come by the carnivore diet, which is advised to people that are very intolerant to plants. And it can also be used to then slowly introduce plants in the diet to see what works.

I also just noticed you wrote in the first post that you can't get into ketosis. That is to be expected if you are eating mostly protein with little fat and little carbs.
Protein also causes an insulin spike that prevents ketosis. So for a ketogenic diet you need high fat / moderate protein / low carb

see for example here: https://www.ruled.me/too-much-protein-bad-for-ketosis/
I am a little better on fats but not like most people do when they go low carb. I cant use pol or mayo or such it hurts my esophagus too much. I can do veggies 3 or 4 times a week as long as they are low carb veggies, .like zucchini cucumbers green beans and such. I had a small jar of kimchi today with lunch. it sure made me feel full longer then just my usual meat and cheese lunch did. but when I eat carbs it really slows me down. or any food I really react too. like chocolate even if unsweetened. wy wife started having the same issue with chocolate before I did now I do too. but I think it was because I had the unsweetened chocolate almond milk every day. with me either I can eat it every day or I cant. small amounts over. time does not make a difference. like the chocolate almond milk was fine for a few months but it was slowly weakening me.overall I am doing better then I have in years. thats mostly cutting out the carbs and really paying attention to what bothers me. having my esophagus get so bad hs helped because it hurts so much the nI eat much carbs it makes me control them better.