Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding impact on the boys

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Riding impact on the boys

Old 10-31-20, 08:53 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Before you spend money, go for a ride with all the wrenches to adjust seat position, height, tip and fore and aft. See if you can make your symptoms go away. (This may put you seat in a poor place for overall position but you will have learned a key point, what works for "down there".)

When you get a new seat, you should do the same rides with the wrenches. A huge benefit to getting seat position dialed in right is a 2-bolt seatpost with a front and a rear bolt. Makes accurate seat tilt changes easy. Undoing a change you didn't like to exactly where you were before is just as easy. Seat position, just as much as the seats themselves<is critical to bike comfort.

For the vast majority of us, when we are comfortable, we are doing no damage. Find that comfortable place and ride.
Old 10-31-20, 09:20 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
.......................BTW, had a biopsy the first time to confirm i'm OK.

Just a P.S.A. about the standard/typical 12 to 16 core TRUS biopsy >>>>

The TRUS biopsy often performed by a Urologist in office is an outdated method that samples very little of the prostate resulting in missed PCa. (Prostate Cancer) There is a push for new SOC (Standard of Care) protocols of having a 3TmpMRI and/or new urine sampling/genetic testing to be not only FDA approved but additionally insurance covered. Also for the Ga-68 PSMA and 18F DCFPyL PSMA to be FDA Approved/Insurance Approved as it is throughout the World but not in the USA. Indeed a VERY SAD commentary regarding Men's Health.
Old 11-06-20, 07:56 AM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked 2,842 Times in 963 Posts
I started to experience numbness at around age 50. I got sized and learned out that for a slender guy - 6' 3", 180 lbs. - I have wide sit bones so a Specialized saddle in the appropriate width and with a center channel did fine for a while. Last season that got replaced with a Brooks C17 "carved" for my fast bike, and on my rough roads bike I mounted a Brooks Flyer which was super comfortable but still created numbing. It was modded by a Forum member with the Brooks Imperial cutout and voila! Occasionally I experience a bit of numbing from long stretches in the saddle, but a brief position shift clears it. I've never had numbness linger post-ride and I'd like to keep it that way.

Old 11-18-20, 01:08 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Interesting there is no discussion regarding the ISM PL series of saddles. Granted they are very strange, if not weird looking, but if they work for a majority of these issues... Besides no one will know unless you are off the bike. Have been emailing with a rep from ISM.

My issue is not numbness or ED but urination urgency which hits out of no where. I have got to go NOW! It is very disconcerting because you never know when it will hit or where. Have to make sure to go before I go anywhere for insurance. On long rides, I have to scout bushes and trees even for small amounts. Will try ISM and report back.

Old 11-18-20, 04:10 PM
missinglink

Bikes: 2013 Marin Redwood - 2015 Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Interesting there is no discussion regarding the ISM PL series of saddles. Granted they are very strange, if not weird looking, but if they work for a majority of these issues... Besides no one will know unless you are off the bike. Have been emailing with a rep from ISM.

My issue is not numbness or ED but urination urgency which hits out of no where. I have got to go NOW! It is very disconcerting because you never know when it will hit or where. Have to make sure to go before I go anywhere for insurance. On long rides, I have to scout bushes and trees even for small amounts. Will try ISM and report back.
I'll be interested to hear what you think.
I've been in a situation very much like you describe. My doc prescribed antibiotics for prostatitus and recommended taking a week or so off the bike, which I did. It initially cleared up well, but now with each ride of more than ~10 miles my symptoms will begin to return.

I borrowed as Adamo prologue yesterday in hopes that it might change things up a little. It didn't go well. What I found was the the wide nose of the Adamo seemed to put even more pressure on the sensitive area. The Adamo nose is about an inch wider than my Specialized Power saddle.
Btw, my sensitive area is more to the left side of my perineal area. I found some mild relief by rotating my power saddle several degrees to the right of center.

Best of luck to you......
Old 11-22-20, 04:11 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
On long rides, I have to scout bushes and trees even for small amounts. Will try ISM and report back.
Larry David’s New Years Resolution a couple of years ago was, “Pee before you go”. It’s become my motto!
Old 11-22-20, 08:25 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by BEC111
Larry David’s New Years Resolution a couple of years ago was, “Pee before you go”. It’s become my motto!
I saw him say that on an evening talk show! Cracked me up and now I live by it.

Old 11-23-20, 12:22 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by missinglink
I'll be interested to hear what you think.
I've been in a situation very much like you describe. My doc prescribed antibiotics for prostatitus and recommended taking a week or so off the bike, which I did. It initially cleared up well, but now with each ride of more than ~10 miles my symptoms will begin to return.

I borrowed as Adamo prologue yesterday in hopes that it might change things up a little. It didn't go well. What I found was the the wide nose of the Adamo seemed to put even more pressure on the sensitive area. The Adamo nose is about an inch wider than my Specialized Power saddle.
Btw, my sensitive area is more to the left side of my perineal area. I found some mild relief by rotating my power saddle several degrees to the right of center.

Best of luck to you......

Thank you.

The new seat arrived today but it will take weeks to tell how and if it works so you will have to be patient.

A couple of years ago I stopped cycling and it took a couple of months off the saddle to clear up, so I don’t expect anything different. The complicating factor is that I just purchased one seat but have 3 bikes which I use regularly (road, trainer, mtn bike). Looks like I will have to try to stick to one with the new saddle. Hrumph

Old 11-23-20, 10:54 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by cubewheels
I've used ISM PN1.1 (still very similar to PL, only shorter) for a couple of months.

My experience with the saddle is absolutely no numbing and may have even solved numbing on my hands. For reference, I never use gloves nor padded shorts, even for long rides.

One huge advantage of ISM PN (or PL for that matter) is that the saddle gives you a huge sitting position range. You can can sit on it at the widest part as well as on the nose. The default adjustment of ISM PN is have it to the maximum setback possible since you can sit on the nose anyhow.

Some of the bad things I found with ISM PN is that it is only comfortable in fully slammed down aero position. It's probably a limitation due to the Time Trial (TT) oriented design of the saddle. The other bad thing is being less comfortable in bumpy roads unless you have a compliant bike frame or seat tube or seatpost suspension. And finally, wide split nose design with shallow angle kinda rubs the thighs.
I am a bit worried about comfort with the wider design in the front but time will tell. Maybe I will have to become “Aeroman”. Thank you for sharing your experience.

And here I thought you were a young guy and your posting here. You just never knose

Old 11-23-20, 02:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
I went through at least 5 saddles before I found one that was comfortable and didn't cause any urogenital problems even on long rides. Then I bought a bunch of them, because the company (Avocet) went out of business. Now I have the same saddle on all 4 bikes, same saddle height, same saddle angle. I wear good, but not exceptional bib shorts, and use chamois cream on every ride, because it seems to help keep everything in place, plus prevents chafing. I've thrown out shorts when the lycra gets too loose to support everything.

On the trainer, I do make an effort to 'dance on the pedals' every so often, but I wear the same shorts I wear on the road, and no extra padding. I'd note that everything I've ever tried with more padding, or especially gel, always ends up making any problem worse. In fact one pair of bib shorts I bought because they were on special have thicker padding directly under the 'sit bones' and invariably when I wear those my sit bones get sore. Same thing for a 'gel' saddle I tried. Felt comfy for a 10 mile ride, but most of the way through a 20 mile ride I realized I'd gone numb. With gloves, anything with those little gel pads and my fingers go numb. So as I say I'm not big on gel-padded anything.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-09-20, 09:19 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Have been ill so have not ridden for a few days so sorry no long term report. But when I was riding it, I found the seat comfortable on 25 mile rides and actually positioned me better, more forward on the bike. It really helped me rotate my hips and get lower. Haven’t done any longer rides.

Old 12-18-20, 07:10 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Everyone knows that cycling turns boys into men...
Old 12-19-20, 07:19 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts

I don't have that problem while riding, but I do have to get up in the night more than I'd like. The answer to both problems is kagel! Of course it's not a complete answer, but it really helps. Everybody should be doing it. Weaker muscles come with age and the less you use them, the weaker they get. It's like anything else. Want to do more of whatever? Just do more of that. Stronger is good. Anyway, here's the how-to guide. It works. I started doing it a few months ago. Having to pee is my reminder to do a set.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...n/art-20045074