Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Wider tires on Dahon Eco3 ?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-09, 09:35 PM
BaggerSteve
Rookie

Bikes: Dahon Eco D7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Will a wider tire than stock (1.5") fit on an Eco3? I don't care about speed, I'm looking for a more comfortable ride. I will assume that I will have to remove the fenders to do so.
What will work better for just putzing around, a 1.75 or 2.0?
Any input will be helpfull.
Old 12-08-20, 08:46 AM
Francus_Spain

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BaggerSteve
Will a wider tire than stock (1.5") fit on an Eco3? I don't care about speed, I'm looking for a more comfortable ride. I will assume that I will have to remove the fenders to do so.
What will work better for just putzing around, a 1.75 or 2.0?
Any input will be helpfull.
Hello, sorry to reflote this. What tire did you eventually put? I want to change my dahon eco 3 tires...
Old 12-08-20, 07:42 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Francus_Spain
Hello, sorry to reflote this. What tire did you eventually put? I want to change my dahon eco 3 tires...
"Dahon Rotolo, 20 x 1.75"
https://www.rei.com/product/800445/d...ding-bike-2010
Old 12-09-20, 12:11 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
If you don't have something constructive to add please move along to another thread.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 12-09-20, 02:15 PM
Francus_Spain

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
If you don't have something constructive to add please move along to another thread.
thanks very much
Likes For Francus_Spain:
Old 12-10-20, 06:10 AM
Falconista

Bikes: 1986 Falcon Laser, 2004 Dahon, 2018 Moulton TSR

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Francus_Spain
What are you looking for from the tyres? Speed, comfort, puncture resistance, low price, long life, all of the above?
Old 12-14-20, 06:28 AM
Francus_Spain

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Falconista
What are you looking for from the tyres? Speed, comfort, puncture resistance, low price, long life, all of the above?
Hello (sorry but I wasnt able to post because I reached my max number of posts per day)

My idea is to use the bike in parks like the photos above (sorry I dont know how to make image smaller) So for the moment (hope this will increase) maybe 30 kilometers per month (or less). I dont know if in this places is important to have puncture resistance, however I bought a puncture repair kit. Some times front wheel feels not very stable when I pass through loosy sand or leaves. There are also some little hills that would be good to have a good grip. Now I have Kenda West 1,50. And I donīt like it that much.. Gravel is not very comfortable... I weigh 85 kilos (187 pounds). I also would prefer low price..

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-14-20, 09:15 AM
Falconista

Bikes: 1986 Falcon Laser, 2004 Dahon, 2018 Moulton TSR

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Looks like a good place to go cycling, away from traffic. There are a hundred different tyre options that would work although everything is a compromise. From the advert for a new bike above you could likely fit a 1.75" wide tyre (assuming no problems with fenders/mudguards). This doesnt sound like much difference but is noticeable over a 1.5" tyre.

On my bikes I use Schwalbe Marathon tyres mainly. I used a set of 1.75" Marathon Plus for a number of years while touring and on tracks similar to above, and really appreciated them as an all round tyre. The larger volume (previously on 1.5") gave a slightly softer ride, and the grip seemed to improve after a few uses. They have some tread, and with the wider footprint seemed to cope with off road quite well. The downsides are weight and a sluggish feel compared to lightweight slicks, but on the other hand I hate repairing punctures by the side of the road (and I never had to).

There always seems to be a deal on for these tyres on one of the online retailers.
Old 12-21-20, 04:07 AM
Francus_Spain

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Falconista
Looks like a good place to go cycling, away from traffic. There are a hundred different tyre options that would work although everything is a compromise. From the advert for a new bike above you could likely fit a 1.75" wide tyre (assuming no problems with fenders/mudguards). This doesnt sound like much difference but is noticeable over a 1.5" tyre.

On my bikes I use Schwalbe Marathon tyres mainly. I used a set of 1.75" Marathon Plus for a number of years while touring and on tracks similar to above, and really appreciated them as an all round tyre. The larger volume (previously on 1.5") gave a slightly softer ride, and the grip seemed to improve after a few uses. They have some tread, and with the wider footprint seemed to cope with off road quite well. The downsides are weight and a sluggish feel compared to lightweight slicks, but on the other hand I hate repairing punctures by the side of the road (and I never had to).

There always seems to be a deal on for these tyres on one of the online retailers.
Thank, I have read in many places that people recomend Schwalbe marathon. I will have a look. Thanks for your reply.

Fran