Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Keto and cycling

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Keto and cycling

Old 01-08-21, 01:53 PM
burritos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
Let's get real. My post specifically said:

Now take your cheetah comparison a bit further. How long does a cheetah sprint for?

How long are you planning on riding your bike for?

If you want to ride fast, carbs are required. Unless your rides are 10 seconds or so, then yes, by all means, channel your inner keto cheetah.
Here's my longest on a dry fast though I did bonk on the last 2 miles home. I didn't sprint up the hills, but I never stopped pedaling. Managed to get some PRs too:
Old 01-08-21, 04:24 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: Felt AR, Longteng LTK 118 with Chinese carbon everything.

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2534 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 645 Posts
Originally Posted by burritos View Post
Here's my longest on a dry fast though I did bonk on the last 2 miles home. I didn't sprint up the hills, but I never stopped pedaling. Managed to get some PRs too:
Thank you. This 100% proves my point. 2MJ in 6 hours means you were riding at a very low intensity.

To compare, my ride today was 1,600 KJ in an hour 45 minutes. Meaning I was putting out about 3x the energy you were.

Fast/hard versus slow/easy. There's a massive difference in energy. Simply can't do that on fat.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 01-08-21, 04:26 PM
rubiksoval

I can't ride faster compared you. You sound like a cycling beast. Those metrics crush me. But it's good enough for me. And while it's slow for someone like you I keep still PR'ing segments at the age of 50.
I'm curious how much faster you could go with adequate nutrition...

In all honesty, I'd probably ride similar speeds if I were trying to ride without carbs.

Endurance performance requires appropriate fuel.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 01-08-21, 05:14 PM
burritos

Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
I'm curious how much faster you could go with adequate nutrition...

In all honesty, I'd probably ride similar speeds if I were trying to ride without carbs.

Endurance performance requires appropriate fuel.
Not me, but Kohei Uchimura, the goat of gymnastics was able to be the best without loading for performance and competition:

I understand that this is only one anecdotal example. But the hindrance of not carb loading did not stop him from being at the top gymnast.
For me personally, I'm not trying to achieve speed/performance, I'm trying drive fat metabolism. Same reason why I fast. Same reason why I exercise. That's not the same as losing weight. When you drive fat metabolism, AMPK(adenosine monophosphate kinase) is upregulated which is a major metabolic switch for autophagy, specifically mitophagy. This is the recycling of mitochondria. Healthy mitochondria=healthy cells=healthy person. Exercise also drives this pathway. What halts this path way? Insulin. What spikes insulin like an emergency brake on a subway? Glucose.
Old 01-08-21, 07:11 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 168 Posts
I love it when non scientists talk about things like they actually know what theyíre talking about, like talking about theoretical things like autophagy like itís been actually observed in people (it hasnít)
Old 01-08-21, 07:20 PM
burritos

Originally Posted by hubcyclist View Post
I love it when non scientists talk about things like they actually know what they’re talking about, like talking about theoretical things like autophagy like it’s been actually observed in people (it hasn’t)
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...e.0126546.g001

But you're right, I'm a wannabe and the stuff I'm spouting is just my opinion. Not scientific dogma. I apologize if I'm sounding like an arsehole.

Last edited by burritos; 01-08-21 at 07:30 PM.
Likes For burritos:
Old 01-08-21, 07:34 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 168 Posts
I stand corrected. Regardless thereís still a lot of conjecture and not a lot proven about a lot of dietary things like keto and even fasting. But even leaving those aside, I personally canít see why most cyclists would want to intentionally limit their growth by limit carbs. You may be happy tooling around at a low speed, but a lot of cyclists ultimately want to get faster. by being keto one is effectively capping how hard they can ride and eventually that limits any future improvement, because once one gets closer to threshold and above, the body needs glycogen to be able to fuel.
Old 01-08-21, 09:05 PM
burritos

Originally Posted by hubcyclist View Post
I stand corrected. Regardless thereís still a lot of conjecture and not a lot proven about a lot of dietary things like keto and even fasting. But even leaving those aside, I personally canít see why most cyclists would want to intentionally limit their growth by limit carbs. You may be happy tooling around at a low speed, but a lot of cyclists ultimately want to get faster. by being keto one is effectively capping how hard they can ride and eventually that limits any future improvement, because once one gets closer to threshold and above, the body needs glycogen to be able to fuel.
That's perfectly fine. Please ignore me and I apologize for discussing the topic. It's probably all crap.
Old 01-09-21, 08:04 AM
wolfchild

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1980 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 389 Posts
I'm trying drive fat metabolism.
Eating carbs does not prevent fat burning...You can eat carbs and still burn fat.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-09-21, 09:45 AM
burritos

Originally Posted by wolfchild View Post
Eating carbs does not prevent fat burning...You can eat carbs and still burn fat.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21864752/

The major effects of insulin on muscle and adipose tissue are: (1) Carbohydrate metabolism: (a) it increases the rate of glucose transport across the cell membrane, (b) it increases the rate of glycolysis by increasing hexokinase and 6-phosphofructokinase activity, (c) it stimulates the rate of glycogen synthesis and decreases the rate of glycogen breakdown. (2) Lipid metabolism: (a) it decreases the rate of lipolysis in adipose tissue and hence lowers the plasma fatty acid level, (b) it stimulates fatty acid and triacylglycerol synthesis in tissues, (c) it increases the uptake of triglycerides from the blood into adipose tissue and muscle, (d) it decreases the rate of fatty acid oxidation in muscle and liver. (3) Protein metabolism: (a) it increases the rate of transport of some amino acids into tissues, (b) it increases the rate of protein synthesis in muscle, adipose tissue, liver, and other tissues, (c) it decreases the rate of protein degradation in muscle (and perhaps other tissues). These insulin effects serve to encourage the synthesis of carbohydrate, fat and protein, therefore, insulin can be considered to be an anabolic hormone.
You are correct, but the question is if your body is predominantly burning fat vs predominantly burning carbs. Everyone knows that if you eat carbohydrates, your pancreas concomitantly releases insulin for your body to absorb that carb load. Since you're physically fit, you likely are metabolically flexible and can quickly switch from predominantly burning carbs to predominantly burning fat. The presence of insulin slows fat metabolism and promotes carbohydrate metabolism. And once you've released insulin, depending how carb/fat adapted one is, it may take 1 to several hours for the insulin to drop back down to baseline. From the above summary of insulin effects after eating glucose, why would the body want to both burn fat while it's actively trying to synthesize it? And why would it want to make glycogen at the same time that your body wants to break it down? Yes, the physical activity you're doing will eventually overcome these opposing metabolisms and eventually will lead to both carb and fat burning. But the insulin effect by eating carbs is still a transient physiologic obstacle to ultimately burning primarily both fat and ketones.

But if performance is crucial to you, especially if you're used to carbs, then carbs is a must. Carbs gives you instant energy. When you "bonk", for a carb burner, that's when you've run out of carbs. When people get their "second wind" it's because their carb metabolism has switched to a fat/ketone metabolism.
Old 01-10-21, 09:45 AM
rubiksoval

I understand that this is only one anecdotal example. But the hindrance of not carb loading did not stop him from being at the top gymnast.
For me personally, I'm not trying to achieve speed/performance, I'm trying drive fat metabolism. Same reason why I fast. Same reason why I exercise. That's not the same as losing weight. When you drive fat metabolism, AMPK(adenosine monophosphate kinase) is upregulated which is a major metabolic switch for autophagy, specifically mitophagy. This is the recycling of mitochondria. Healthy mitochondria=healthy cells=healthy person. Exercise also drives this pathway. What halts this path way? Insulin. What spikes insulin like an emergency brake on a subway? Glucose.
It's not an anecdotal example. It has nothing to do with anything.

It doesn't really matter why you do what you do. The point is that people touting keto nonsense within the context of cycling performance don't know what they're talking about. Why you attempt to use a very slow 6 hour ride or a gymnast within that context is unknown. I'm not really interested in either of those two things.
Old 01-10-21, 10:37 AM
Hondo Gravel
Society Dropout

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked 1,686 Times in 1,069 Posts
I need carbs. Not saying eat a dozen doughnuts but good quality carbs (beer). If it works for you that is great I tried keto and it didn’t work for me.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 01-10-21, 08:26 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,104 Posts
Likes For canklecat:
Old 02-27-21, 11:08 PM
Miller219

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Venge

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I've done both. Found Keto is great if you're planning a long less intense ride. But for fast attacks - recovery - then attack again, keto just won't do the trick over the course of a 1-2hr race ( I suspect the same is true for any race that features surging). I found I had no energy left after attacking only a few times. That being said - Keto is an easier diet to maintain once you've switched your eating pattern to match what is required to remain in ketosis - that is to say you don't have to worry so much about fueling for the ride as you probably constantly have an excess amount of body fat to fuel the ride. Carb diet does give that missing power/recovery ability that is missing from the keto diet. I've switched back and definitely see better results.

What would be an interesting experiment is practising a keto diet and only consuming enough fast-digesting carbs to fuel for the ride itself. Maybe it would result in burning fat for lower intensity and tapping into glycogen when the body needs it for higher intensity - whether or not that is possible is beyond my understanding.