Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Replace RS685 shifters by RX810 - is it worth it?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-21, 10:58 PM
Cyclist0114

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey, I have RS685 2x11 shifters on CX/gravel bike. I transfer it to 1x11 now and consider change to also RX810 shifters (1x11 version). Is it worth it?

GRX version has some better shape, they are more comfortable... I'm not sure about braking, because didn't have any chance to test them in real ride - both (GRX and RS685) have Servo Wave so... I'm not sure.
Pair of GRX will be also ~100 grams lighter, but it isn't important.

It it good option? Of course in such case I will sell my RS685 shifters, but still have to add some money to new shifters.
Old 01-14-21, 06:38 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 472 Posts
I wouldn't, I have R7000 on mine and like you have thought about GRX because of the finish details, as well as potentially better ergonomics.

I'll be switching when Shimano offers twelve speed and I have 20k miles on my current brifters.
Old 01-14-21, 07:43 AM
jfrunner

Bikes: 2019 T-Lab X3 / 2013 Kona Jake the Snake / 1990 Bridgestone MB-0 (dropbar converted)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing. I have the R8020 Hydro/mechanical shifters and find them really wide for my hands. I was wondering if the equivalent GRX have a small form factor. I know people who review them are usually raving about the shape and comfort, but would like to be able to try both R8020 and GRX side-by-side to "feel" the difference and see if the switch is worth it. Bike stores are currently closed in my area, so it's not an option to go in and actually compare them for now...
Old 01-14-21, 08:10 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
The feel of the rx810 is different and the brake lever is not as slippery, but the braking will be the same as the rs685. The only GRX levers that got the higher brake pivot location were the Di2 version.
Old 01-14-21, 09:20 AM
Cpn_Dunsel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Depends on how people measure and derive 'worthiness.'

For me it would be too much time and effort for minimal gain but in this pandemic all bets are off.