Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

CCM Elan

Old 06-04-06, 09:03 AM
mahreeuh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CCM Elan

Hi, I'm new here. Yesterday I scored a CCM Elan (no idea what year, it's forest green and looks to have all the original parts...it's awesome.) I don't know anything about this bike, but I like the way it looks and am planning to use it as an errand bike and a fun bike. All the components on it appear to be made by "Sturmey Archer England." The rear hub is some type of gear box (3 spd) but it doesn't want to move backwards and it's tough to move forward. Also, the chain spins but it doesn't pull the wheel? Anyway, I've been searching for a place to just start, I thought this looked like a good place! Everyone seems very kind and helpful. I can't find a serial number on this bike, but on the rims it says "V160 Made in Canada 26 x 1?/? EA3" Anyone know what this means?
WELL, I guess that's enough stuff. Thanks in advance for help/advice. Also, if I've posted this in the wrong forum...sorry!
Old 06-04-06, 09:48 AM
divineAndbright 

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heh, I bought one of these myself yesterday atually (high price of $2). Sounds like the hub isnt set up correctly or has some problems (stuck in neutral?) I'm not knowledgable on 3 speeds so I wouldnt really know what to tell you on how to go and remedy it, but im sure someone here will be able to help you. Mines currently acting only as a 2 speed (no low gear, which is fine!), but after reading sheldon browns sturmey archer 3 speed section I believe I know how to correct this (tightening the chain dealy coming out of the axle).

The serial number will be on the bottom of the seat tube above the crank housing (non chain side). The wheel size is 26 X 1 3/8 which just about all the 3 speeds pretty much use.

My frame looks to be from 1971 going by the serial number, but the hub on the back seems to be dated January 1975.

Last edited by divineAndbright; 06-04-06 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-04-06, 02:13 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 557 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3673 Post(s)
Liked 1,091 Times in 812 Posts
Originally Posted by divineAndbright
My frame looks to be from 1971 going by the serial number, but the hub on the back seems to be dated January 1975.
Based on the decals, it's no earlier than 1973. It may well be from 1975, as suggested by the hub date. Please post a better pic of the head tube sticker.

BTW, you need to remount the tires and tubes before you get a flat from valve stem shear.
Old 06-04-06, 02:43 PM
divineAndbright 

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I know about the tires, I did that last night actually, changed the tires all together, they were hard as a rock and the sidewalls were all cracked and split like sidewalks built in the 30s.

the head tube would be like this:

The "crest" part is gone now though, I could tell it musta had some oval kinda decal over it at some point due to obvious color mismatching outlining an oval shape.

The serial number begins with a B on the frame, but yeah i'd say it was probably put together and sold around '75, but im sure the frame was built as the serial number suggests, 'less im missing something.
Old 06-04-06, 04:44 PM
mahreeuh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine looks very similar to yours Divineandbright. Mine is a girls bike though, but same colors. Mine looks to be a little less rusty too. I'm really surprised at the condition since it's been sitting outside for who knows how long. Hubby and I are getting it up and running. It's not stuck anymore. I need new tires, but otherwise, it's a keeper. Very happy!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and her name is "Stella."
Old 06-04-06, 05:43 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 557 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3673 Post(s)
Liked 1,091 Times in 812 Posts
Originally Posted by divineAndbright
the head tube would be like this:

The "crest" part is gone now though, I could tell it musta had some oval kinda decal over it at some point due to obvious color mismatching outlining an oval shape.

The serial number begins with a B on the frame, but yeah i'd say it was probably put together and sold around '75, but im sure the frame was built as the serial number suggests, 'less im missing something.
Well, I know where you are coming from on the serial number and without further evidence, I'd tend to put around the beginning of the decade. But that head label originated circa 1975-1976, which matches the hub. And the other decals and color match 1973 or later, so I don't know what to say about the serial number, but all the other evidence points to mid 1970s.
Old 06-07-06, 01:07 PM
bluespenny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey fellow Elan-ers!
I just gave, as a gift, a matching pair of these bikes to a friend and his wife. They were both excellent rides, and I used the men's as a commuter on a half-dozen occassions.
Couple of things: The male bike has a Sturmey Archer hub, dated 72, while the female's unit is a shimano.
The decals on both bikes are different than the large pictures above: no olive branches around the headstock CCM for one. The downtube decals are the same as the top photo, where the Elan is mixed in with a bunch of bikes.
The men's bike, as well, has a regular rear reflector, with that hockey-puck sized one mounted on the seat tube. It also has a swooping, Nike-symbol like rear rack, that looks original.
Bit of advice for old SA hubs - oil! There's a little cap on the hub - lift it, add a few drops, ride. Repeat often, until it runs smoothly. Shimanos are way easier to adjust, but SAs are not brain surgery either.
mike in calgary
Old 01-18-21, 02:35 PM
artintor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CCM Elan Men's Bike - 3 Speed Hub Indicator Spindle Chain

Hi all,
I purchased a very well loved CCM Elan on the weekend, and I'm new on this. I HOPE this is how I start a new thread for this? It was an impulse purchase and I hadn't realized this had a 3-speed hub until I got home - I bought it without any research. The shifter is missing, as well as the gear-shift wires/brackets/pullies/etc.

It turns out there is no Spindle Chain on the hub, and I'm wondering how to connect a new one - I've tried looking online, and finally found out what the part is - but I'm finding there are Short and Long chains - and I don't know which to purchase. Can anyone help out? Is there information somewhere on how to install the chain once I have one?

On another note, is there a useful website that provides info on how to update and tune-up this bike? I figured out how to put on new tires and tubes, as well as new brake cables (the originals, in all cases, were completely shot).

Thanks,
Andrew