Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1975 Fuji Special Road Racer (S10-S)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1975 Fuji Special Road Racer (S10-S)

Old 10-08-20, 11:36 AM
JulianS10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj View Post
Even stock the '75 S-10S was relatively light for it's day at 26.5 pounds - pretty damn light for a bike riding clincher rims! Schwinn was forced to source their 'Schwinn-approved' Japan-sourced 'lightweights' to compete. The '77 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2 and later 11.8 was a reference to their weight in Kgms (26.9 and 26.0 pounds respectively).

The S-10S can be made lighter pretty easy - ditch the stock heavy Akai wheels for a lighter set (mine now rides on Sun M13IIs and sealed bearing hubs) PLUS the original wheels use unhooked rims so you are forced to use heavier wire bead tires. Between the wheels and Kevlar-bead 27x1-1/8 tires you save well over a pound. Ditch the steel seatpost - save another half pound. Of course you can lose the relatively heavy Fujita leather saddle for a plastic ass-hatchet to save a few more ounces, but I like to ride - and not be punished!

As-ridden and shown in the pic above of my blue S-10S, it STILL weighs ~26.5 pounds - WITH the rear rack and triple crank... add the full water bottle (1.5 pounds) and tool kit/spare tube and (another 1.5 pounds.) Frame pump - another .5... So close to 30 pounds as ridden. Why do I keep the rack? Comes in handy to carry my change of work clothes (pants/shirt).

As another couple of weight data points - my triple-butted CrMo '86 Miyata 710 weighs in at 23.6 pounds., and the '84 Viva Sport I got down to 24.1 pounds (same 27" M13II wheelset as the Fuji)
Thanks! These are very nice tips to take off weight I really like the M13II idea!
Old 10-08-20, 04:49 PM
Cougrrcj 
Over forty victim of Fate

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by JulianS10 View Post
Thanks! These are very nice tips to take off weight I really like the M13II idea!
Velomine has them in Fixed Gear, and 5-6-7-speed freewheel or flip/flop hub 27" or 700c size... https://www.velomine.com
Be advised that these are NOT hand-built wheels and may need final truing later!
'86 Miyata 710
'90 Schwinn Woodlands
Unknown brand MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'
Plus or minus a few others from time-to-time

Old 01-17-21, 08:52 PM
GWGorham

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everyone,

I just picked up a 1974 Special Road Racer. Serial number is K9J00442. Mine is one of the blue ones. Question, is there a general rule about repainting (to original scheme) a vintage bike?

Sadly this one is in mildly rough shape.. need a replacement rear wheel (it has a mavic), need a head badge, replacement saddle and so on. But it will be totally worthwhile to me i think.

Once I can post pictures on here I will (I apparently have less than 10 posts).
Old 01-17-21, 09:58 PM
Cougrrcj 
Over forty victim of Fate

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by GWGorham View Post
Hey everyone,

I just picked up a 1974 Special Road Racer. Serial number is K9J00442. Mine is one of the blue ones. Question, is there a general rule about repainting (to original scheme) a vintage bike?

Sadly this one is in mildly rough shape.. need a replacement rear wheel (it has a mavic), need a head badge, replacement saddle and so on. But it will be totally worthwhile to me i think.

Yours was built in October '74 (a month later than mine) as a 1975 model year bike.

My S-10S has a K9I serial prefix (for Sept '74 build date) is on its fourth wheelset since new. I built a top-shelf set in 1977 that lasted me ~30k+ miles, then a cheap replacement set when I taco'd the rear wheel while on tour, and now mine rides on a set from Velomine, with sealed bearing (freewheel) hubs and Sun M13-II rims. Back a few years ago, the wheelset from Velomine was ~$120 for both. Well worth it, especially considering the original Ukai wheels were straight-wall (not hooked) and there is some difficulty in keeping tires on the beads at high inflation pressures... The Sun rims are hooked, so inflating to 100+psi is not a problem! BTW, I used 27x1-1/8 tires on mine almost since new!

My S-10S is definitely showing its age - lots of scratches, chips and nicks in the paint over the past 45 years/55k miles. But I tend to view those as 'character marks' Besides, trying to match that candy-blue paint would be tough to duplicate! That, and the dark gold lug lining paint accent. Replacement decals for the S-10S are available, but the long reflective V-shaped fork applique unique to the '75 model year is not reproduced to my knowledge. I used automotive pinstripe tape of black/white to set off the demarcation between the blue paint from the chrome on the fork and rear stays - that just makes it 'pop' a bit more...

Saddle? Thankfully, mine still wears its original Fujita Belt (Brooks B-17 clone) leather saddle. It is getting rather 'checked' so a few years ago, I sourced a replacement on eBay, should I need it.
'86 Miyata 710
'90 Schwinn Woodlands
Unknown brand MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'
Plus or minus a few others from time-to-time

Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 01-18-21, 07:46 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 93 Posts
Hey everyone,

There is a lot of debate over repaint vs. leave original. Repainting never makes sense from a financial standpoint, but in the end, it's your bike, so if a repaint will help you enjoy it more, then go for it.

When I got my S12-S LTD, it had already been repainted (poorly), so there was nothing to lose by doing it again. I always liked the blue that Fuji used on some bikes in the 1980s, like the America. I used Rustolium Cobalt Blue Metalic. It's not a exact match for Fuji's blue, but I like how it turned out.

1981 Fuji S12-S LTD
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 01-18-21, 03:06 PM
StevePGN10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey everyone,

Special Road Racers had a very special finish, cromovelato. The whole frame was chromed, and then the transparent color was applied over it. I can't imagine trying to redo that nowadays. One of the beautiful aspects of the finish is that the chrome layer is very effective in preventing rusting. I vote that you keep your original finish unless there is significant rust, in which case saving the frame seems more important. Those bikes have a great ride quality.

Regards,
Steve
Likes For StevePGN10:
Old 02-27-21, 01:09 AM
Tom M.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Allowed?

Originally Posted by specialmonkey View Post
Classy Fuji! I love that style of head badge, sometimes they paint it on which doesn't cut it. I also really like the Nitto stem bolt.
Nice work on not changing it. It looks like you got the 23" - would be a good size for me! If a little tall (want to sell it? ).
The Jim Blackburn rack is interesting, I don't think I've ever seen that style.
The tires look great for 1975. Any pix with the other bar tape? I'm curious.
I'm a newbie and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this here, but specialmonkey asked if Cougrrcj wanted to sell. I am the original owner of a 1974 Fuji S10S Special Road Racer (serial K9E00386) with 23" frame. Not long after I bought it, my life suddenly got busier and busier and never let up, so I just hung it on a wall and that's where it's been ever since! It has less than one hundred miles on it. All original parts including the belt seat and hand pump. Only a couple scratches on it but tubes and/or tires need replacing because of age. I even have the original catalog, parts and maintenance manuals that came with it. I might be willing to part with it for the right price. If not, I might just keep it hanging on the wall until it's a 100 years old because even just on the wall, it's quite the conversation piece because it's one nice piece of machinery.
Old 02-27-21, 09:47 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 4856 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom M. View Post
I'm a newbie and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this here, but specialmonkey asked if Cougrrcj wanted to sell. I am the original owner of a 1974 Fuji S10S Special Road Racer (serial K9E00386) with 23" frame. Not long after I bought it, my life suddenly got busier and busier and never let up, so I just hung it on a wall and that's where it's been ever since! It has less than one hundred miles on it. All original parts including the belt seat and hand pump. Only a couple scratches on it but tubes and/or tires need replacing because of age. I even have the original catalog, parts and maintenance manuals that came with it. I might be willing to part with it for the right price. If not, I might just keep it hanging on the wall until it's a 100 years old because even just on the wall, it's quite the conversation piece because it's one nice piece of machinery.
You are not allowed to sell here unless you are willing to become a paid member ($10 a year I believe). In any case, you'd be better off selling it locally. These are good bikes but not particularly valuable. Prices have gone up with the pandemic but I see quality vintage Fujis available locally for around $100 including the bike you own.