Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Old 01-13-21, 09:50 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked 3,562 Times in 1,228 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
So much of the cold weather clothing on the market seems to be black.

Steve in Peoria (and I hope that this is something that bothers more than just a few folks)
Right there with you. My winter jacket is black, mostly because I hate buying clothes online and that's all that the LBS had in stock

I've seen reflective vests mentioned, but I can't seem to find one of those around here that I would want to wear on the bike, they're all too flappy.
Old 01-13-21, 10:04 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Right there with you. My winter jacket is black, mostly because I hate buying clothes online and that's all that the LBS had in stock

I've seen reflective vests mentioned, but I can't seem to find one of those around here that I would want to wear on the bike, they're all too flappy.
Reflective tape has come a long way since I was a kid. I'm sure you could add these or stuff like these to you favorite jackets and shells.

Lightweights Power Reflectors
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 01-13-21, 10:24 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked 3,562 Times in 1,228 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Reflective tape has come a long way since I was a kid. I'm sure you could add these or stuff like these to you favorite jackets and shells.

Lightweights Power Reflectors
Thanks!

That could work since that jacket doesn't get washed super regularly
Old 01-13-21, 11:49 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 185 Posts
If I have to ride in good/dark clothes I wear Sam Brown Reflective Belt. They fold up to nothing so you can stow them in a pocket when not needed, I don't know what they are called in the US. I found reflective tap peels off after a few weeks
Old 01-14-21, 09:45 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
can't hurt... unless you get the drivers wondering what you are and end up driving into you as they just stare at you.

only partly kidding... I've had people do that when I've been riding a recumbent. I think the term is "target fixation". I had to give them a signal to get back on their side of the road.
I've also had a teenage kid nearly run me over as he stared at my tail light one night. <sigh> He hit my pannier and came back to check on me.

Be visible, and keep a close eye on the idiots around you.

Steve in Peoria
(target fixation is what killed Lieutenant Murphy in my squadron in the Marines. He pulled up too late on a bombing run and flew into the ground)
Here are some pics of the Noxgear vest taken earlier tonight. Front and back. My headlamp has a blinking red light on the rear also. I was Lit!

Last edited by seypat; 01-14-21 at 09:54 PM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-14-21, 11:14 PM
Ptcycles

Bikes: 73 Schwinn Continental, (my first), 1993 Nobelette, Cannondale 500,Team Fugi, Raleigh Supercourse, Raleigh Gran Sport, 1976 Krystal, Tsunami, Giant Boulder SE, Series 30 Paramount, Scott Unitrack, As long as I have room the Hoard will grow...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I outgrew the need to pass everyone in front of me 20 years ago. If you are the masher I speak of, take no offense. Personally I am mostly entertained watching Cyclists ahead of me.
Likes For Ptcycles:
Old 01-18-21, 09:43 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,037 Posts
So much of the cold weather clothing on the market seems to be black.
I expect tights and booties to be black, but I see black jackets and just wonder why it can't be offered in something more visible. Cold weather implies overcast weather or night riding and makes high visibility a priority!

Lights certainly help, but being able to see the rider's torso makes it more obvious what the other road user is about to encounter.

Steve in Peoria (and I hope that this is something that bothers more than just a few folks)
My wife bought me a Proviz jacket, which I quite like. The thing is so reflective that it is quite distracting when I am driving while wearing it. Every oncoming vehicle causes the jacket to dazzle my eyes...
GREAT for low light riding. Not so good for driving...
Old 01-18-21, 12:49 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
My wife bought me a Proviz jacket, which I quite like. The thing is so reflective that it is quite distracting when I am driving while wearing it. Every oncoming vehicle causes the jacket to dazzle my eyes...
GREAT for low light riding. Not so good for driving...
wow... that's pretty impressive! Very nice that they offer so many options. I think the vest would be something I'd consider (I like jackets to have a breathable back).
To keep with the thread's theme... I guess I'd say "It bugs me when my clothing is so visible that it blinds me".

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-18-21, 01:30 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Here are some pics of the Noxgear vest taken earlier tonight. Front and back. My headlamp has a blinking red light on the rear also. I was Lit!

Doubtful you could wear one of these and a chest strap HRM at the same time. The main strap on the vest occupies the same area that the HRM strap does. You would need to go to an arm band HRM. I hear they're all the rage now, anyway.
Old 01-18-21, 02:23 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Bad bike photos.

It's a digital world. Take a moment and think it all through. It shouldn't be that hard.
Old 01-18-21, 03:13 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Bad bike photos.

It's a digital world. Take a moment and think it all through. It shouldn't be that hard.
unless your camera is just old and sucks..haha! mine is/does, so i just don't take'em
Old 01-21-21, 07:44 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
People in the elevator at work commenting that I rode in to work on a particularly wet / cold / snowy / hot / dry / humid / or any adverse weather day... "So, you rode in today". 1) How could the helmet on my head possibly have suggested this? 2) You already know I ride in every day.

Last edited by southpawboston; 01-21-21 at 07:50 AM.
Likes For southpawboston:
Old 01-21-21, 09:07 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,072 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by Clang
It's easily bad depictions of bikes: lazy illustrators and sculptors who don't want to use reference so they draw weird frame angles, missing tubes (chain stays especially), brake levers but no brakes, hubs that look narrow and pinched, handlebars sprouting out of the top of the fork with no stem, drivetrain on the left, etc. The more respected the artist, the angrier it makes me.

Example: Note the bent fork, 0 cm length stem, cranks that aren't opposed, drivetrain not hooked up to the rear wheel, and the seat stays and seat tube meeting somewhere in the middle of the saddle.

Graphic designers aren't off the hook either. This has to be one of the most tone-deaf things I've seen. Clearly they wanted something to jazz up the plain bike box, and wanted a tire tread pattern. Unfortunately, whatever vector art program they were using only had a pattern brush with car tire tread. Cars running over a bike is not a good look, but what can you expect from Huffy?

Oddly, the other graphic caught my eye first. Where are these made? Why would someone want to sneak across international borders disguised as an unassembled bicycle? (that makes more sense to me than using a noun as a verb)

Some of mine have already been mentioned (uni crown forks, kickstands on bikes that aren't designed for transport, clamp on derailleurs, etc.). The thing that puts me off are gratuitously stupid (I'm supposed to be judgmental here, right?) frame designs. Yes, I mean you, Flying Gate, soft ride, y-foil, swing bike, and the like. I'm also no fan of Bio-pace and other non-round chainrings. I can't tell how many otherwise nice bicycles I've come across for sale and had to factor in the cost of replacement chainrings as I'm trying to determine if it makes sense to buy them.
Old 01-21-21, 01:47 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Why would someone want to sneak across international borders disguised as an unassembled bicycle?
Reminds me of the French film, Three Colors: White, where Polish immigrant Karol Karol thinks French cops are after him, so he sneaks back to Poland in his own suitcase.

Old 01-21-21, 02:37 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 2,230 Times in 1,303 Posts
It's funny when there's a pharmaceutical commercial and they needed a smiling couple on bikes, but the poor models aren't good riders and they sort of weeble-wobble over the road. I suppose it could be the director telling them that if they don't wiggle the handlebars back and forth it doesn't look as if they're riding the bike.