Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Avanti ProSeries Giro

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Avanti ProSeries Giro

Old 01-17-21, 07:18 AM
South_Aussie

Bikes: Mid 90's Avanti Pro Series Giro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Avanti ProSeries Giro

G'day all
In the mid 90's i bought an Avanti ProSeries Giro - Alloy 7005 frame, CroMo4130 forks, Shimano RX100 groupset, burnt orange in colour. Shortly after I bought it I moved interstate and it stayed under cover for 20 years before I recently had it refurbished and put it back on the road. She is a beauty to ride. I have the serial number A608000772. Can anyone decode that so that i can narrow down the year. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-18-21, 09:07 AM
sroller

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by South_Aussie View Post
G'day all
In the mid 90's i bought an Avanti ProSeries Giro - Alloy 7005 frame, CroMo4130 forks, Shimano RX100 groupset, burnt orange in colour. Shortly after I bought it I moved interstate and it stayed under cover for 20 years before I recently had it refurbished and put it back on the road. She is a beauty to ride. I have the serial number A608000772. Can anyone decode that so that i can narrow down the year. Thanks in advance.
Is it like this one -

I put most of these parts on but it originally came with RX100 components as well. I looked at the parts codes on those RX100 parts and determined that they were from 1993, so the bike probably is a 1993 model. Use this: The all important Shimano ''codes" explained - Tech Q&A - Bike Hub
Old 01-18-21, 09:12 AM
sroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More pics -

Old 01-18-21, 04:08 PM
South_Aussie

Bikes: Mid 90's Avanti Pro Series Giro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sroller View Post
Is it like this one
Not quite, but very similar.
Thanks for the Shimano parts link.
Mine is nearly all original and came with the RX100 components. I swapped out the head stem to increase the height and reach. In its original form it was fine when I was racing triathlons with it, but it was way to aggressive for casual riding. Apart from that and the pedals it is all as it rolled of the showroom floor.

Last edited by South_Aussie; 01-18-21 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-19-21, 05:15 AM
Big Block

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Curious as to why you would expect an American focused group to have any knowledge of a New Zealand originated bike.
You are more likely to find out more by looking at the posts on Avanti bikes on the BNA forums.
Old 01-19-21, 03:04 PM
sroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by South_Aussie View Post
Not quite, but very similar.

Thanks for the Shimano parts link.

Mine is nearly all original and came with the RX100 components. I swapped out the head stem to increase the height and reach. In its original form it was fine when I was racing triathlons with it, but it was way to aggressive for casual riding. Apart from that and the pedals it is all as it rolled of the showroom floor.

That bike is ready for twice as many years of life, nicely repurposed. Love the stem.
Old 01-19-21, 03:16 PM
sroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Block View Post
Curious as to why you would expect an American focused group to have any knowledge of a New Zealand originated bike.
You are more likely to find out more by looking at the posts on Avanti bikes on the BNA forums.
It's not an "American-focused group", otherwise why are English and Italian and French bikes being discussed here? How do you think anyone here came to have "ANY knowledge" about THOSE bikes, eh...

Last edited by sroller; 01-19-21 at 03:28 PM.