Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

MKS QR pedals

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

MKS QR pedals

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-16, 03:03 PM
velotrain

Bikes: who's counting?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MKS QR pedals

I just acquired these for my Dahon, but for the moment I can't trust them.

The basic problem is that the yellow plastic clip they provide to prevent the adapter cap from slipping off while riding is about twice as thick as the space available between the adapter cap and the crank. Of course, I could theoretically back off the adapter from the crank, but they show a tightening torque for this, so it doesn't seem advisable.

The other thing that bothers me is the difficulty of removing the yellow plastic clip, and I wonder why they couldn't have molded on some grab points at the ends.

==>> How have others dealt with this?
Old 08-18-16, 03:18 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Which MKS pedals exactly? I own MKS QR pedals, but they don't have a 'yellow plastic clip'. A model and image would help.

Originally Posted by velotrain
I just acquired these for my Dahon, but for the moment I can't trust them.

The basic problem is that the yellow plastic clip they provide to prevent the adapter cap from slipping off while riding is about twice as thick as the space available between the adapter cap and the crank. Of course, I could theoretically back off the adapter from the crank, but they show a tightening torque for this, so it doesn't seem advisable.

The other thing that bothers me is the difficulty of removing the yellow plastic clip, and I wonder why they couldn't have molded on some grab points at the ends.

==>> How have others dealt with this?
Old 08-18-16, 03:33 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 587 Posts
I have these pedals, and the plastic thingy is long tossed in the trash.
Old 08-18-16, 03:40 PM
wildpanda86

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are two types of MKS quick release pedals... there is a cheaper model that has the plastic thingy to keep the quick release mechanism from accidently releasing. I've heard of people leaving the plastic thingy out with these and having them accidently release the pedal. There is a more expensive model that doesn't have a plastic thingy. Instead you have to twist the quick release mechanism before it can release.

See if you have to twist to release it.
Old 08-18-16, 04:39 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
How have others dealt with this?
… by buying Wellgo and Expédo quick-release pedals, after reading about the same issue you had.

https://www.xpedo.com/products/pedals...traverse-5-qrd
QRD - Wellgo
Old 08-18-16, 05:08 PM
velotrain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AbuMahendra
Which MKS pedals exactly? I own MKS QR pedals, but they don't have a 'yellow plastic clip'. A model and image would help.

They're Promenade. I don't think an image would make a difference, as if you're not familiar with the situation, I don't see how you can help. I was hoping to hear from folks who had experienced this and resolved it.

I knew they had more expensive versions, butdidn't realize that the release process was part of that price difference. I mostly wanted something I could mount semi toe clips on.

Originally Posted by tds101
I have these pedals, and the plastic thingy is long tossed in the trash.

tds - somewhat typical for you, you'll make a statement like that but not say what you're using instead. If you have no intent to be helpful, why reply at all? Do you just like to generate noise?
Old 08-18-16, 05:29 PM
BruceMetras

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

They're Promenade. I don't think an image would make a difference, as if you're not familiar with the situation, I don't see how you can help. I was hoping to hear from folks who had experienced this and resolved it.

I knew they had more expensive versions, butdidn't realize that the release process was part of that price difference. I mostly wanted something I could mount semi toe clips on.

tds - somewhat typical for you, you'll make a statement like that but not say what you're using instead. If you have no intent to be helpful, why reply at all? Do you just like to generate noise?
I run the Promenades (with Power Grips) on my Reach, my Titanium 700c 2 speed, and my Airnimal ... I've used them since they were introduced on Dahons going back 10 years .. they originally came with black clips (which had little ears) and were indeed easier to get off.. then came the yellow ones .. more of a PIA, but there should be ample room to easily get them on and off .. if not, run a pedal washer or two until you get enough clearance..

I think what tds meant was he tossed his and hasn't had his pedals come off.. one of my bikes has clips, the other doesn't .. I had a pedal come off in 2006 without the clips, but I wasn't 100% sure if I had engaged the quick-release fully.. there were a lot of posts pro and con on the Dahon board concerning clips for the MKS EZY system.. then along came the Superior EZY series, which did not have the clips .. I also run MKS EZY clip-less pedals on my same bikes when I feel like clipping in..
Old 08-18-16, 05:53 PM
velotrain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Bruce - it's good to have a voice of reason. I'll try to locate some appropriate washers. I'd say right now I have about (and perhaps less) than a mm of clearance, and the yellow band needs about 3 mm.

Based on my tests on the ease of removing the pedals without them being secured, I don't think I'm willing to ride like that.

I don't get your last sentence at all.
I tried to copy it, but the forum software won't let me.

Speaking of that - I find that after I post, many of the spaces between words are removed. Any idea what causes that? Or is it a bug that folks have just learned to accept?
Old 08-18-16, 06:18 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I made enough of a statement to make my point. I don't need to be long-winded to achieve the desired results. I guess I shouldn't have posted the pictures in the thread that you requested, regarding the latching mechanism, since I apparently didn't provide a huge wall of text.

And thanks @BruceMetras. My mks pedals had come with a plastic yellow clip, that the INSTRUCTIONS specified was a spacer. I didn't need it, so I discarded it. It was stated that it wasn't needed on certain crank arms.
Old 08-18-16, 06:25 PM
BruceMetras

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks, Bruce - it's good to have a voice of reason. I'll try to locate some appropriate washers. I'd say right now I have about (and perhaps less) than a mm of clearance, and the yellow band needs about 3 mm.

Based on my tests on the ease of removing the pedals without them being secured, I don't think I'm willing to ride like that.

I don't get your last sentence at all.
I tried to copy it, but the forum software won't let me.
"I also run MKS EZY clip-less pedals on my same bikes when I feel like clipping in.."

The MKS EZY system is the one that uses the plastic clips.

The MKS Superior EZY system is the one that uses the 'twist to release' coupler

The MKS EZY system that uses the clips have a variety of pedals that can be used with the couplers.. one of pedals is the MKS Cube SPD type clip-less pedal as shown.. this is the pedal I have when I want to use my SPD type shoes, which is rare as I really like Power Grips and I ride a lot in Five Ten Freeriders ..

Old 08-18-16, 06:36 PM
BruceMetras

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
And thanks @BruceMetras. My mks pedals had come with a plastic yellow clip, that the INSTRUCTIONS specified was a spacer. I didn't need it, so I discarded it. It was stated that it wasn't needed on certain crank arms.
More than a spacer, the yellow clip is to keep the coupler from accidentally disengaging while riding.. some have reported years ago that their foot contacted the sliding sleeve while pedaling, pushing it inward, then the pedal was not secure and it would release.. the yellow clip once installed makes it impossible for the sleeve to be pushed in with the resultant release of the pedal.. as I said, I ride with and without the safety clips, but then my foot is probably more stable over the pedal because of the Power Grips..
Old 08-18-16, 06:42 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by BruceMetras
More than a spacer, the yellow clip is to keep the coupler from accidentally disengaging while riding.. some have reported years ago that their foot contacted the sliding sleeve while pedaling, pushing it inward, then the pedal was not secure and it would release.. the yellow clip once installed makes it impossible for the sleeve to be pushed in with the resultant release of the pedal.. as I said, I ride with and without the safety clips, but then my foot is probably more stable over the pedal because of the Power Grips..
Mine are so tight there wasn't a need for the clip, and I plan on using Powergrips with them as well. Maybe they upgraded the coupling? Very solid pedal, from my experience.
Old 08-18-16, 06:51 PM
BruceMetras

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Mine are so tight there wasn't a need for the clip, and I plan on using Powergrips with them as well. Maybe they upgraded the coupling? Very solid pedal, from my experience.
When you release the pedal, do you push the coupler sleeve straight towards the crank arm, or do you give it a half twist?
Old 08-18-16, 08:06 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i thank that the op has not pushed back the sleeve all the way ...there is a lot of room to get the safety clips in there
I never use mine
but thats my personal choice
they need be fully inserted and not just 80% which i believe the op has trouble with
thor
Old 08-18-16, 09:28 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I have a set of MKS AR-2s on a speed P8 and they look like this mount, except I have black plastic clips.
MKS UB-LITE EZY Pedals | Tern Folding Bikes | Worldwide

I also think this, or something is jamming the sleeve from its full travel.
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
i thank that the op has not pushed back the sleeve all the way ...there is a lot of room to get the safety clips in there
I use my plastic clips, vaguely recall reading some folks that have gotten hurt when their pedal fell off unexpectedly.
Old 08-18-16, 10:01 PM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I"m another one with the mks pedals and I also never used those yellow clips after i lost them.

Never had it disconnect and been riding them since 2010. Repacked the bearings twice so far and it's running amazing.
Old 08-19-16, 03:23 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by BruceMetras
When you release the pedal, do you push the coupler sleeve straight towards the crank arm, or do you give it a half twist?
I don't have to twist the release mechanism. I do have to use a decent amount of force though. My set are the MKS EZY MT-E DETACHABLE MTB Pedal BTW,...

I've also noticed that the pedal cage comes up above the release, so my foot wouldn't hit it, and possibly open it, during a ride. I'm guessing the situation might be different for different individuals.
Old 08-19-16, 03:34 AM
LittlePixel
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have these and as far as I can tell the yellow plastic clip is a 'designed by lawyer' thing to protect them from any liability should the pedals release accidentally. It's clearly an afterthought, as if it were an integral part of the pedal design it would be metal and easy to remove.

My experience with these pedals is that I've never once had a problem with accidental quick-release, and nor should anyone as it's a very clever, strong design - It's hard to imagine an every-day scenario where the collar would be pushed back enough for the axle of the pedal to release - and even if it did the pedal would probably not move laterally out of the collar.

So like others - I tossed the little clips as they only hinder your user experience. Make sure the pedals are clipped in properly before riding and you'll be just fine.
Old 08-19-16, 09:10 AM
bmac.to

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
I never use mine
but thats my personal choice
they need be fully inserted and not just 80% which i believe the op has trouble with
thor
This. If you are able to disengage the pedal from the adapter and there is not enough room for the plastic spacer, you are not pulling the sleeve out far enough.

I have had to use a washer to space the adapter out from the crank arm as the crank has an indentation - with no washer, I could not get the pedal in or out.
Old 08-19-16, 10:14 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
they come with washers and you are supposed to use them
thor
Old 08-19-16, 10:15 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They come witj washers which one is supposed to use. The washers also protect the alloy crankarm from being chewed up ..
Old 08-19-16, 03:46 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I never used the plastic thingys. But, I am always careful to make sure that the release mechanism is in the locked position. But I worked in a factory were we had air hoses with similar quick release type fittings so I was used to making sure that quick releases are in the locked position.

I would not be surprised if the plastic thingys were really designed to just make sure that the release mechanism is in the locked position to make some attorney happy.
Old 01-04-21, 01:01 PM
Winfried

I'll add to this thread since those pedals look very similar.

I got a pair of cheap Promend PD-F57 removable pedals.

What are those yellow thingies, and what happens if I lose them?

Thank you.

--------
Edit: "clips", "retaining rings"

"The yellow C ring supplied with should be fitted to stop the pedal from being released by kicking during the pedal stroke - we thought it wouldn't happen, so tried without them - eventually we managed to make the pedal come loose. It sits behind the pedal and stops the pedal release mechanism from being deployed. (In winter with cold fingers this could be a bit of a fiddly manouver)"
https://brilliantbikes.co.uk/brompto...y-stopper.html

"The stopper must be fitted. If the stopper is not installed the pedal attachment is incomplete.
Without the stopper the adapter can break, or the pedal may fall off resulting in serious injury."
https://www.mkspedal.com/?q=en/product/node/33

Last edited by Winfried; 01-04-21 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-04-21, 04:15 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
They avoid to push the release ring accidentally with the sole of your shoe an dismount accidentally the pedal !
Old 01-04-21, 06:06 PM
Winfried

Thanks. I'll see where I can order a bag of them just in case.

Promend has no website.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.