Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cyclemeter App

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cyclemeter App

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-20, 07:45 AM
venomx

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Just got this app in elite version and it’s brilliant

it shouldn’t use up my data should it. ? As I tested it in aeroplane mode and it still works

Last edited by venomx; 04-27-20 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-27-20, 08:16 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by venomx
Just got this app in elite version and it’s brilliant

it shouldn’t use up my data should it. ? As I tested it in aeroplane mode and it still works
It’s a decent app and it runs standalone while recording. I used to use it but I found the caloric burn numbers were off by 100% from Strava and more well regarded apps showed so I quit using it.

In general, my experience is that recording devices come and go but if I want to have an ongoing diary and record of activity that has decent analytics, Strava is the answer. Virtually every device connects to Strava and I believe Cyclemeter does too. Store it all up there and then you don’t have to worry about what recording device or app you use. Too, Strava has the ability to correct distance, elevation gain and calories.
Old 04-27-20, 08:18 AM
venomx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
It’s a decent app and it runs standalone while recording. I used to use it but I found the caloric burn numbers were off by 100% from Strava and more well regarded apps showed so I quit using it.

In general, my experience is that recording devices come and go but if I want to have an ongoing diary and record of activity that has decent analytics, Strava is the answer. Virtually every device connects to Strava and I believe Cyclemeter does too. Store it all up there and then you don’t have to worry about what recording device or app you use. Too, Strava has the ability to correct distance, elevation gain and calories.
is it free ? I did some googling but couldn’t find a definitive answer

surely calorie count is hit and miss as everyone has different metabolism and weight and height etc
Old 04-27-20, 08:32 AM
JohnJ80

is it free ? I did some googling but couldn’t find a definitive answer

surely calorie count is hit and miss as everyone has different metabolism and weight and height etc
Like I said, it’s been a long time since i used it but I think there is a base free version that has minimal capability and then a subscription model for the good stuff. I have several bike computer and I didn’t like having the phone display on all the time, so I dropped using it in favor of more rugged devices and also in keeping my cell battery available for emergency usage.

There are some pretty cost effective devices from Wahoo, Garmin, Bryton (sp?), Lezyne that have pretty amazing connectivity and capability at low cost but it depends on what you are looking for.

FWIW, Strava also has a phone app that’s free.

The problem with most if not all current phones is that the only sensors they will connect to are Bluetooth and they don’t support ANT+ which is sort of the main standard in bike sensors and also tends to be lower power than BT.

While there is some variance in calorie count, I found Cyclemeter to be 100% higher than what Strava finally came up with which tend to be amazingly close to the number that I found when I used my power meter (which should be within +/- 5%). Cyclemeter’s calorie burn algorithm wasn’t much better than a wild ass guess and it didn’t match anyone else’s. It was ridiculous.
Old 04-27-20, 08:34 AM
venomx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Ok thanks. I’ll stick to Cyclemeter for now anyway an see how it goes , i have a one week trial at the moment
Old 04-27-20, 11:58 AM
venomx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Like I said, it’s been a long time since i used it but I think there is a base free version that has minimal capability and then a subscription model for the good stuff. I have several bike computer and I didn’t like having the phone display on all the time, so I dropped using it in favor of more rugged devices and also in keeping my cell battery available for emergency usage.

There are some pretty cost effective devices from Wahoo, Garmin, Bryton (sp?), Lezyne that have pretty amazing connectivity and capability at low cost but it depends on what you are looking for.

FWIW, Strava also has a phone app that’s free.

The problem with most if not all current phones is that the only sensors they will connect to are Bluetooth and they don’t support ANT+ which is sort of the main standard in bike sensors and also tends to be lower power than BT.

While there is some variance in calorie count, I found Cyclemeter to be 100% higher than what Strava finally came up with which tend to be amazingly close to the number that I found when I used my power meter (which should be within +/- 5%). Cyclemeter’s calorie burn algorithm wasn’t much better than a wild ass guess and it didn’t match anyone else’s. It was ridiculous.
ok so why is strava more accurate at gauging calories?
When you say cycle meter was way off, had you entered your age, height , weight etc in advanced ?

do you personally use strava on its own or do you have a wrist strap/smart watch ?

im not too fussed about calorie count, just distance

I have just installed strava and it doesn’t even ask for height weight and age so how can it accurately count calories?

Last edited by venomx; 04-27-20 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-27-20, 01:23 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I've been using the Elite upgrade for about 1 year now, it works seamlessly with my iPhone 6+ and Apple Watch4.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-27-20, 04:36 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
When you say cycle meter was way off, had you entered your age, height , weight etc in advanced ?

do you personally use strava on its own or do you have a wrist strap/smart watch ?

I have just installed strava and it doesn’t even ask for height weight and age so how can it accurately count calories?
The paid premium version of Strava takes into account other data, including rider weight, etc.

But I use Strava only after rides and workouts. I don't use it to record anything. No point since they discontinued support for heart rate monitors and other sensors. I use an inexpensive GPS bike computer and Wahoo Fitness on my phone.

All calorie counters are wild guesstimates. I don't pay attention to any of them. I lost weight and kept it off just through some diet changes -- mostly eliminating or reducing sugar and junk carbs (including beer, which I miss). My weight gradually dropped from 205 lbs to 150 lbs. Took several years but it was easy because I didn't "diet." I ate as much as I wanted of good foods and just reduced the sugar, junk carbs and boredom-eating.

Cyclemeter is a good app. I used it for awhile on my old iPhone 4s. The free trial version now is so crippled it's useless and might give prospective customers a bad impression. But the paid premium version is very good.
Old 04-27-20, 08:37 PM
JohnJ80

a lot of studies have shown that a bike power meter is accurate to within about 5%. When I ride without a PM, Strava comes very close. My understanding is Strava uses all the normal algorithms that others use plus uses the aggregate power meter readings of others who have ridden those same roads corrected for
age/weight etc. At any rate, it has typically come out fairly accurate.

But all that aside, the power meter is the gold standard next to VO2 measurements and has demonstrated accuracy. I have a power meter on each of my bikes and over nearly 1000 rides I’ve seen huge variance from anything other than with a power meter and any bike computer on its own, with a HRM etc... so I’m pretty confident in what’s right and what’s not.

And it’s a fallacy, to the extent that it’s BS, that you can’t get an accurate calorie measurement. Cyclemeter by itself has typically been an outlier for me and the least accurate of all. Wahoo and Garmin (I own both) run about 40% high on their own. With a HRM somewhat better but neither are all that accurate. Ride same route reportedly with a PM and you get pretty consistent results. A PM can accurately measure the energy that you put into moving yourself down the road and integrating that over time will give you an accurate measure of the energy required to do that ride.
Old 05-10-20, 04:46 PM
SammyJ 

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
I am currently using cyclemeter. Their customer support in the best. I never fail to get a detailed email to help me sort things out. There is NO better application for a cyclist.

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Likes For SammyJ:
Old 05-10-20, 11:58 PM
venomx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SammyJ
I am currently using cyclemeter. Their customer support in the best. I never fail to get a detailed email to help me sort things out. There is NO better application for a cyclist.
yes it’s way better than strava and their customer support is brilliant
Old 12-25-20, 09:42 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
I have been using the elite version but it won’t let me change equipment and I have 4 bikes I ride. What am I doing wrong? It says
Old 12-26-20, 08:22 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by LibertyFLS
I have been using the elite version but it won’t let me change equipment and I have 4 bikes I ride. What am I doing wrong? It says
I also have four bikes - two road bikes and two mountain bikes -one with 26" tires and another with 29" tires. I get that message when I try to change the bike on an active ride - but only on certain activities. That is, I can change the bike if I am just on "cycle" but not when I am on "cycle for distance". Might be a bug. I like cycle for distance as it better calculates stop time - which is a huge negative for this app. I have found it easier to just change it after the ride has completed.

Last edited by vespasianus; 12-26-20 at 08:25 AM.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 12-26-20, 01:07 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
Thanks. I tend to leave it on cycle and can’t change it. I put cycle for distance and I had nothing selected so I could make a selection for bike but not for shoes -go figure. Not the end of the world but would be nice to know miles on each bike especially for tire life.
Old 12-26-20, 03:29 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
I also have four bikes - two road bikes and two mountain bikes -one with 26" tires and another with 29" tires. I get that message when I try to change the bike on an active ride - but only on certain activities. That is, I can change the bike if I am just on "cycle" but not when I am on "cycle for distance". Might be a bug. I like cycle for distance as it better calculates stop time - which is a huge negative for this app. I have found it easier to just change it after the ride has completed.
Originally Posted by LibertyFLS
Thanks. I tend to leave it on cycle and can’t change it. I put cycle for distance and I had nothing selected so I could make a selection for bike but not for shoes -go figure. Not the end of the world but would be nice to know miles on each bike especially for tire life.
you both should get in contact with the seller. i too have the elite version and every question i have ever asked them has been answered promptly. they are really a good outfit. can't help you with the immediate problem though since i have but one ride.
Likes For spelger:
Old 12-26-20, 07:33 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I've been using cyclemeter for several years and like it a lot but just recently found out it has been shorting me on climbing. Recently got a Garmin 530 and have done several rides using both. I get about 20% less climbing feet on cyclemeter for the same route.

I only have two bikes programmed in mine but have never had a problem selecting one or the other.
Old 12-26-20, 08:18 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Unless you have power meter, you’re better off ignoring any “calorie burn” number that an algorithm gives you. Might as well pull a number out of a hat.
Old 12-26-20, 08:34 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Been using the "élite" version for years now. It keeps improving. I have absolutely no complaints about the cycling functionality. The other thing I like is that you keep the data as private as you want, unlike Strava where it's on someone else's server.

Battery life has significantly improved with the last couple of updates which was my major gripe.

My only complaint is that when using the hiking mode in steep terrain, (Mountaineering or rock climbing) it thinks you are stopped since it's looking for horizontal movement. That may be a limit of a phone gps though. Those same outings produced some interesting corkscrew map tracks that bore no resemblance to reality.