Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cargo bike rear brake has rotor rub after each ride

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-20, 09:50 AM
greensprout

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all, need some help. My long tail cargo bike has brake rub after each ride. I’ll adjust the brake pads after the ride so it spins freely with no rub and then as soon as I ride with any weight on the bike the brake pads start rubbing the rotor as soon as I do any braking. It starts making a grinding sound in a rhythm as the rotor spins. It looked as if the rotor was warped, but I put a new rotor on and it did the same thing. It has a wobble in it. Is this common for a cargo bike carrying weight? I carry 50-100lbs on the back. I’ve adjusted it about 10 times and each time the rubbing comes back and I have to readjust the brake pads. I’m so confused why this is happening! Any ideas?
Old 04-10-20, 05:28 PM
Maxwell

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some calipers just don’t hold The pad adjustment, mechanical brake? what brand?
Old 04-10-20, 05:35 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Reckon the wheel is moving in the frame. Figure out if you can get it tighter, if it has an external cam QR, go to internal. Make sure the wheel is well seated. If it has horizontal drop outs use something like Surly Tuggnuts to keep the wheel in one place.
Old 04-10-20, 09:30 PM
greensprout

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

This is what the setup looks like. Everything is nice and tight. Maybe the calipers aren’t holding? I can try tightening them extra tight and see what happens. I’ve already tried to really tighten them up.
Old 04-11-20, 03:56 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...rake-alignment