Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

who does winter cycling here?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 08-12-20, 11:00 AM
NewbieBlker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

post #4

Find it weird you need 10 post before you are allowed to upload pictures. Must be to motivate traffic in the channel?

So who does winter cycling?
Old 08-12-20, 12:01 PM
xyz
Banned.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6072 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 712 Posts
Probably everyone in this subforum.
Likes For xyz:
Old 08-12-20, 02:00 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I don’t do ”winter cycling”.
I merely commute year round where winter is a season to be noticed.
Old 08-12-20, 02:34 PM
xyz
Banned.

Originally Posted by dabac
I don’t do ”winter cycling”.
I merely commute year round where winter is a season to be noticed.
Does this mean you ride on ice?

When I lived in LA, whenever it was going to hit 50 degrees the news channels would go beezerk with ads calling it a 'blast of winter'. And everyone would be walking around in their fur lined parka ski outfits.
​​​​​​
Likes For xyz:
Old 08-12-20, 02:39 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by xyz
Does this mean you ride on ice?.
Depends on what the season brings.
I don’t intentionally seek out ice to ride on, as the guys who hit the frozen lakes do.
But ice, hardpack, whatever the roads along my commute offers - sure.
Likes For dabac:
Old 08-12-20, 02:51 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,887 Times in 1,646 Posts
Originally Posted by NewbieBlker
post #4

Find it weird you need 10 post before you are allowed to upload pictures. Must be to motivate traffic in the channel?
Before the 10-post rule was instituted, legitimate posts were often crammed out by dozens of spam posts, which made the forum all but unreadable.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 08-12-20, 07:17 PM
Narrowback

Bikes: 2020 29 Stumpjumper Downieville edition 2016 Fatboy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my Fat bike. There's some incredible trails around and my favorite is about 15 miles of trails around a pond and 2 bogs that have lots of bobcats and otters, etc. There's a place just up the road from me that has great views of the White Mts in NH. It also has a civil war peace monument. So I try to maintain the trails in the winter. It's not a long climb, but there are some steep sections.
Old 08-12-20, 08:53 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I did winter commuting thing in Indiana with the snow and ice and refrozen slush, then in west Texas where it might be 20F in the morning and 90F on the way home, and the PNW where rain comes in 642 types. Now I walk down the hall for my commute, and my commuter bike gets the occasional beer run. If my employer realizes software guys don't actually need office square footage, no I might not actually commute anymore. If my employer doesn't realize that, I may have to find a smarter employer, in which case I still won't commute by bike any more.

Since you asked.
Old 08-12-20, 09:05 PM
xyz
Banned.

Originally Posted by downtube42
, then in west Texas where it might be 20F in the morning and 90F on the way home.
Is that actually common?
Old 08-12-20, 10:45 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by xyz
Is that actually common?
Big weather swings in the desert are indeed common. Even in the summer, the temperature often drops markedly just before sunrise. In the winter, it gets quite cold.

I recall a fall day when I finished a ride with a huge southern tailwind, went in the convenience store to grab a snack, came back outside, and found a huge cold north wind. The temp had dropped 50 degrees in 5 minutes.
Old 08-13-20, 02:04 PM
xyz
Banned.

Southern weather is strange.

I live in New Orleans for a few years. Once, riding home from work it was 90ish and not a cloud in the sky. Suddenly I was being drenched in a rainstorm.

or 10 miles out along the lake, same conditions, a black cloud appeared. Small, and very black, dark dark black. Spitting out like 3 lightning bolts a second. I turned around and it chased me all the way home. Like a bugs bunny cartoon. Never seen anything like that before or dince.
Old 08-15-20, 01:19 AM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
With the summer heat still going strong in August, I think there is a high chance we can ride all the way til Christmas. Global warming is pretty sweet.
Old 08-15-20, 11:35 AM
KatieC

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I did, and quit for a couple of years. It was a lot of work and preparation for each trip to work or each trip to the mountain bike trails. Plus all of the extra maintenance since salt and sand is not very friendly to chains and other moving metallic parts. But it was fun. I had an older (2006) Rockhopper with 26” Nokian studded tires. It could go just about anywhere. I stopped for a couple of years because I was traveling a lot for work and just didn’t have time for all of prep work and maintenance and extra layers to wash and dry.

My travel demands have greatly diminished thanks to Covid and I now rent an office about 4 miles from home and am thinking about winter riding again.
Old 08-16-20, 11:10 AM
xyz
Banned.

Originally Posted by KatieC
I did, and quit for a couple of years. It was a lot of work and preparation for each trip to work or each trip to the mountain bike trails. Plus all of the extra maintenance since salt and sand is not very friendly to chains and other moving metallic parts. But it was fun. I had an older (2006) Rockhopper with 26” Nokian studded tires. It could go just about anywhere. I stopped for a couple of years because I was traveling a lot for work and just didn’t have time for all of prep work and maintenance and extra layers to wash and dry.

My travel demands have greatly diminished thanks to Covid and I now rent an office about 4 miles from home and am thinking about winter riding again.
Last time I winter rode I just didn't ride in slush. I live next to a path so often that would be fine when the roads were slushy.

If I had a garage and a bike stand instead of an apartment cleaning up the bike wouldn't be such a pain.
​​​​
Old 08-16-20, 11:10 AM
xyz
Banned.

Originally Posted by Obeast
With the summer heat still going strong in August, I think there is a high chance we can ride all the way til Christmas. Global warming is pretty sweet.
I hope not, I just spent $350 on new studded tires.
Likes For xyz:
Old 08-16-20, 11:32 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I'm backing off my hardcore winter riding. At a late sixties age, those crashes take too much of a toll. But I commuted year 'round 3 days a week up until 8 years ago. Portland, OR - mostly just wet, sometimes fallen branches. But when it dropped below freezing, drivers without a clue (and sometimes road crews - not sanding a key corner on the approach to Oregon's most important hospital, a corner that is always wet! I went down at 5:30 am on my way to work. The sign on the island was trashed when I went home.)

I've done my share of winter riding. No car 'till I was in my 30s. Lived in Massachusetts and Michigan until I was 26 and didn't use public transportation much..

Now a good fresh snow Sunday? I'll go out on my ice tires and have some fun!

Ben
Old 08-16-20, 11:45 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by xyz
Last time I winter rode I just didn't ride in slush. I live next to a path so often that would be fine when the roads were slushy.

If I had a garage and a bike stand instead of an apartment cleaning up the bike wouldn't be such a pain.
​​​​
Many of my NE and midwest winters I lived in apartments and didn't own a car. Solution? A second bike. Old steel fix gear beater. It lived in a hall on a 6' plastic carpet runner. I"d carry it in. set it on the runner leaning against the wall. Simply let it drip its ooze onto the runner.

Yes, this bike flunked all BF clean bike protocol. By March it was a true mess. But fix gears work with almost no attention through anything. (Fix gear, Mafac brakes, cyclocross tires.) In March, new chain and needed sprockets, rebuild the wheels with new spokes, rims and summer tires tires. December - change tires and repeat.

Ben
Old 08-16-20, 12:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Another year round cyclist... Hasn't snowed here in several years , mostly rains a lot...

last few years 27f was an overnight heat loss with cloudless skies,, lasts only a few days ..

I have an old MTB wearing Suomi-Nokian studded tires, I pull out & pump up the tires , when there was ice & snow ..
The tires, 30 years old, are still fine..
Old 08-16-20, 12:45 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Yes, I often ride in the winter. Though, I tend to only do so when it's 45ºF and above, and not when there's ice or snow on the ground. (Getting "softer" as the years go on.)
Old 08-16-20, 01:34 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I've done winter cycling in Michigan, Colorado, and Wisconsin, and 'winter' cycling in California, Alabama, and North Carolina. I had no car during portions of my time in Michigan and Colorado, and for five years of my time in Wisconsin.

I never caught the fat bike bug and am still freaked out by frozen bodies of water after watching my dad crash in as a kid. Instead, I seek out low-traffic residential roads and go bang around on the ice with studded tires.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 08-16-20, 01:35 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 408 Posts
At 59 I’m still doing winter road riding when the roads aren’t sloppy. I live in southern New England and occasionally ride when temps are in the teens (F).

Dan
Old 08-23-20, 03:41 PM
jsilvia

Bikes: Trek Multitrac 750. Scott Addict . Motobacane La Champion Trek Crossrip, Scott Scale 925 mountain Bike Centry

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 35 Posts
I ride year round. Not as many miles in the winter. But I still get out on weekends. I'm from the New Bedford Ma. area
Old 08-26-20, 08:10 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
My normal commuter is a recumbent.

When the temps dip into the 50s, I'll ride the velomobile. It's got three wheels, and is almost fully enclosed, so I can ride it in snow/icy conditions. I also use the velo pretty regularly because it's got more cargo space and is much easier to carry my work laptop.
Old 08-26-20, 08:27 AM
JW in AK

Bikes: 2012 Marin Pioneer Trail, 2019 Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 27 Posts
I don't ride outdoors in winter. We get down to only about 3 hours of daylight and can have stretches of more than a month when the daily high temperatures don't get above -30 degrees. I've seen the fatbikers out there in the worst of it but it doesn't look fun. I've got studded tires for my mountain bike to ride in the shoulder seasons when temps might be in the positive teens or single digits but once the thermometer goes negative so does my attitude about zooming around on a bike.
Old 08-28-20, 06:56 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by xyz
Does this mean you ride on ice?​​​​​​
If you live in a place where snow can accumulate on the roads, then you have to assume that at some point you will encounter ice.
Here in Chicago, we get lots of snow and ice, and it's not always possible to predict the weather with certainty.
The secret to safe riding on ice is to have studded tires. They're somewhat expensive, and they make noise (like frying bacon) on dry pavement, and they do add some rolling resistance... but "black ice" and ice under snow do not pose serious threats to control of the bike. I have a separate dedicated "winter" bike with Schwalbe Marathon Winter tires. When the weather prediction has minimal risk of freezing precipitation, I'll ride my "regular" bike, but when there's a significant possibility of ice on the road, I can switch to the winter bike easily.
My answer to those who complain about the cost of the tires is: "Yes, but what's the co-pay on a broken hip?"
(I'm 70, and have been commuting year-'round for over 18 years.)

My "winter" bike. Studded tires, rear roller brake, fenders & mud flaps.

Arriving at work in the winter in Chicago. There's ice under those "mashed potatoes", but the studs make the difference.
Likes For sweeks:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.