Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Surly big dummy

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Surly big dummy

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-20, 06:47 AM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Surly big dummy advise

I'm pretty well decided I'm getting a cargo bike. Mostly for kid hauling school drop offs etc. I have also decided that the big dummy is my bike. The only thing stopping me is that the current model, dark side of the maroon seems pretty dated. I'd like to see through axles for example, the hubs that are speced are a a previous generation deore. Should I hold off and wait for a new model, hard to stomach spending 2kbon an outdated bike? I know surly doesn't do model years every year so im kinda stuck.

Last edited by Chris!; 09-19-20 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-19-20, 09:20 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
By the time they update it, whatever they update it to will already be outdated. Those old Deore hubs have worked fine for lots of people for 20 years.