Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Simon Yates abandons due to positive COVID test

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Simon Yates abandons due to positive COVID test

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-20, 08:29 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
OK - USA numbers which are higher reported deaths than Italy have 25-35 year old male deaths at 10 for the week of Oct 10th out of a population 23 million. That is "WITH" COVID-19 with an average of 3.6 condition, and total average of 6% have only COVID-19 so average would be about 1 death per week out of 23M in the USA. And Italy is better.

That I do not know, but is it worse racing than not racing? As mentioned, last year's winner and lots of riders race sick, and always have.

I expect he is now in a more vulnerable population than he was. As a racer he is watched and with others <35 with most likely no other conditions.

For COVID-19, without symptoms, I have not seen any real data showing it is a problem. That is the thought out part of my original reply. Show me the data that indicates an asymptomatic 20 something is a risk to other 20 somethings who have no other conditions. I think we are looking at rates way below typical racer sickness. Pull them out of races and put them with the general population and risk of exposure to others is higher. I've been around enough of this profile not to think they really isolate.
I'm a tad over 60. I'm in rather good shape, and I seriously doubt that COVID would kill me. First off, if I tested positive, I'd do the responsible thing and isolate myself even more than I do now. I expect Mr. Yates is likewise doing the responsible thing as well, as I suspect he has older family members (and others) to consider.

With regard to transmission and effects. Being in your late 20's doesn't make you miraculously less transmissible. So wash that element out. Many of our statistics to date measure infection, hospitalization and mortality. You're right that 20-somethings are very less prone to succumbing to the virus than others. However, what is not yet known are other persistent effects from the virus. It affects the respiratory, cardiac and neurological systems. Tell me that if you were a pro-tour racer, you'd think contracting COVID was no big deal. You simply wouldn't know, and frankly, you shouldn't take the chance that your livelihood might be permanently endangered by even a slight degradation of your physical capacities. It could make the difference between Mark Cavendish competing at his prime, and competing in 2020.
Old 10-19-20, 08:44 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Rather un-thought-through statement, imo. First-off he's a lot closer to 30 than 20. Second, whatever the measured transmission rate it, the virus has the capacity to adversely affect pulminary and cardio capacity. Even a 2 - 3% hit to either can ruin a career for a pro cyclist. Sucks that he got it. Right move for his team to pull the plug, imo. If the rest of their squad contracts it, it's a huge blow to several other athletes.

"Putting them back in the population" - where'd this come from? Not what's going to happen. Proper quarantining and follow-up testing are most assuredly the protocol that's being followed.
Doge doesn't think through many of the things he posts.
Old 10-20-20, 08:40 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
.... Being in your late 20's doesn't make you miraculously less transmissible. So wash that element out...
I did not associate age, or did not mean to, with how contagious you are.
I have no data to show the OP statement "you can spread COVID several days before a test is even able to detect it" is true and it seems less so now in 8 months in. In OCT when testing is more frequent, more refined that when we started hearing this was the case in March. It also seems to me more than 10% would have it if that were the case and the whole world would be infected by now which was mostly predicted.

I would have had Yates continue because nothing (I asked and I look) shows he was transmittable at that stage to any population (cyclists) that is vulnerable and they have a tradition of allowing sick riders to ride. I wish they would get rid of sick riders and those with colds. The weather, the low body fat, the conditions and the stress of racing makes any sickness a risk, but this one in October, in Italy not so much as in the past.
Old 10-20-20, 08:47 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
So we should allow those that test positive just circulate around everyone else that has not tested positive?

I guess that's one way to go about it. Just get everybody infected. Let those that are going to die, die. Might happen no matter what we do, but even so, one of the issues is keeping the rate of infection low enough that we don't overwhelm our healthcare system and not be able to take care of those with other problems.

Be pretty sad for people to die of other issues because the ER's and other medical facilities are overwhelmed with COVID patients because we didn't try to slow down the rate of infection.
This is a guy who, when his son got flu-like symptoms said that he hoped that his son had Covid rather than the flu because the symptoms were less likely to be severe and he'd recover from it faster. Don't bother arguing, there's no point when his head is buried so far in the sand.
Likes For himespau:
Old 10-20-20, 09:06 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I would have had Yates continue because nothing (I asked and I look) shows he was transmittable at that stage to any population (cyclists) that is vulnerable and they have a tradition of allowing sick riders to ride. I wish they would get rid of sick riders and those with colds. The weather, the low body fat, the conditions and the stress of racing makes any sickness a risk, but this one in October, in Italy not so much as in the past.
Regardless, that's not a decision that's up to the team, nor, I think to the race organization or the UCI. I believe that governments had to sign off on the races going forward, and having riders and staff who tested positive withdraw was one of those conditions.

On another front, I see what you list as your bicycle. Is it still original? I have SB1092 - which came to me half stripped down to primer. I got a bit creative with the refinish and re-build.
Old 10-20-20, 09:49 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Regardless, that's not a decision that's up to the team, nor, I think to the race organization or the UCI. I believe that governments had to sign off on the races going forward, and having riders and staff who tested positive withdraw was one of those conditions.

On another front, I see what you list as your bicycle. Is it still original? I have SB1092 - which came to me half stripped down to primer. I got a bit creative with the refinish and re-build.
No longer original.
I stupidly repainted my 753. I road that averaging 175 mile/day coast to coast in 1983, top pic is in my apartment then. I've had about 30 bikes inc. my son's (that I bought). I live through his bikes now.