Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

City Safety

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-20, 04:18 PM
annacaptur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
City Safety

Tips on how to get used to riding in the city? Or how to ride safely?
Old 11-29-20, 05:32 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Four Principles for Cycling Transportation

For me, riding safely on roads for transportation involves four principles, and in this priority:

Situational awareness: You have to constantly be watching what's going on around you and imagining in real time what could go sideways and what you'll do in response. There are a lot of resources; here in the US, the League of American Bicyclists has a good program (Smart Cycling | League of American Bicyclists (bikeleague.org) and I would think there would be comparable training courses in the UK. A very good summary of the most common situations is at Bicycle Safety: How to Not Get Hit by Cars (you may have to hold it up to a mirror..).

Conspicuity: Make sure they see you. This is more than just lighting and what you wear. It is also lane positioning and movements to make sure you are seen and acknowledged. Acting with confidence does a lot to communicate to motorists that you will behave predicatably.

Skills: Be able to make an emergency stop and an emergency turn. Again, this is best picked up in a training class.

Protective Equipment: Lastly, use protective equipment. Situational awareness, conspicuity and skills will go a long ways to prevent a crash, but when your head is approaching concrete at 15 mph there isn’t time to put on a helmet.

If you are talking about club riding, you'll have to adapt to the people around you and decide if their practices are safe enough for you.

I can't emphasize enough the importance of training. I take the training course every 10 years or so; I find I learn new skillls and perspectives each time.

Last edited by flangehead; 11-30-20 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Clarify right vs. left side drive.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 11-29-20, 08:10 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by annacaptur
Tips on how to get used to riding in the city? Or how to ride safely?
What city? Riding in NYC is not the same as Portland, OR. Neither is the same as Orlando, FL. As for riding safely ... FRAP. If you don't know what that means, just look at how the other cyclists are riding when you are out on your rides. Don't see any other cyclists on your rides? You need to move to a city where you will.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 11-29-20, 08:43 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6962 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Some good advice above, so I will only add two items:
1) Attach a bright red tail light to the back your bike, and use a headlight in front - even in daylight. Set them to higher brightness in daylight.
2) Before riding in front of a vehicle (e.g., at an intersection), make sure you can see the driver's eyes, and it's best if you make direct eye contact.
Old 11-30-20, 07:42 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Mirros, lights, AirZound Airhorn. See, be seen, be heard.

Assume the worst behavior from motorists and prepare for it.

Be prepared to yield and to stop...even when you have the right of way. You may crush them in court, but a motorized vehicle will crush you on the street.

Plan your routes to avoid heavy, fast traffic. You're only going to go 10-15mph average. Riding down a residential street is not any slower than riding down a major thoroughfare.

Trade time for safety. If avoiding a dangerous street adds 10 minutes to your commute, that's at least 10 extra minutes of safer, more enjoyable biking, if not more since you'd be avoiding busy streets.

Keep your ears open. No earbuds, no headphones. However...after 18 years of commuting I decided ten years ago that I could safely listen to spoken word podcasts in one ear at a reasonable level.

Communicate with drivers via hand signals. You should already be using a mirror or mirrors. Signal your lane changes and turns...same as if you were driving.

Ride with traffic, be where traffic expects you.

Recognize heightened your own levels of adrenaline and try to relax and keep things in perspective.

Consider video recording your rides and reviewing select portions...it will make YOU a better participant in traffic. I began recording 6 years ago thinking I would be able to identify and report all the bad drivers I encountered. What I learned was I wasn't as smart a rider as I thought I was, and my behavior wasn't always so wonderful. I also then began reviewing close-calls and other less than optimal exchanges and started learning how to avoid similar situations.

That's all I can think of for now.

And all that being said, I still enjoy riding to work and back and riding on many streets other times.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-30-20, 07:45 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Eye Contact does not work

Watch The Front Wheel on vehicles that could hit you.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 11-30-20, 01:07 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
This is an easy and invaluable read.

https://bicyclesafe.com/
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 11-30-20, 11:32 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Situational awareness and bike handling are important.

A little bit of maintenance skill helps, so you know that your bike is always safe to ride, with effective brakes that you can trust.

Find a place to practice panic stops, so you're not afraid to make full use of your brakes. A lot of riders are afraid to use their front brake, which is more effective than the rear brake.

I think that some off-road riding on tame courses is a good place to learn maneuvering and dealing with obstacles.

Lighting and visibility.

Route choice is important. You probably know from experience where you've seen most car crashes or their aftermath: Busy, congested streets and their intersections. I avoid those places or treat them with extreme caution.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 12-03-20, 11:20 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
In cities, never ride on heavy used arterials. Stick to side streets and urban streets where the speed limit is lower. Ride MUPs if you have them. And yes situational awareness, and have a rear view mirror. Never ride with ear buds listening to music.
Old 12-04-20, 08:35 AM
mr_pedro

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
Maybe some background first? Like what city, distance traveling, time of day, what bike, experience level?
Old 12-04-20, 09:26 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Tips on how to get used to riding in the city?
Only way to get used to it is do it. After only riding around the neighborhood for something like 35 years when I didn't have much time to ride, I was very apprehensive about going out on the open roads and highways around me. Turns out there isn't anything to it. Sure some motorists are a-holes but in general most are at least tolerant of me. So for the last 10 plus years I'm puzzled by others that seem to have such a bad experience on the road while cycling. My experience on the road continues to be good.

Of course by "city" I'm imagining Chicago, New York City, San Francisco..... so probably nothing I've got cycling experience to relate to.
Or how to ride safely?
Learn the rules of the road and the laws of your state. And though you need to specifically familiarize yourself with the cycling rules and laws, you also need to know the requirements of your state for vehicular traffic whether with motor or not. Most of the laws we think of as motor vehicle laws apply to bicycles too.

Do you also drive a motor vehicle? Think about how what you are doing looks from the drivers perspective. Avoid being so "cautious" that the other drivers around you can't figure out what you are going to do.

Last edited by Iride01; 12-04-20 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-04-20, 10:38 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

This is why our OP joined the forum.

Originally Posted by annacaptur
Hi! Can finally post links:

https://www.capturphotos.com/
Old 12-04-20, 01:26 PM
mr_pedro

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
This is why our OP joined the forum.

LOL, guess there will be less new threads with one-line questions going forward, now that he/she got the 10 posts.
Old 12-04-20, 01:43 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

What motives are okay for joining? What motives are not valid reasons to join?

Is it okay if motives change at a later date?
Old 12-04-20, 03:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
What motives are okay for joining? What motives are not valid reasons to join?

Is it okay if motives change at a later date?

Using the site as free advertising is definitely against the TOS.

That link is obvious Spam.
Old 12-04-20, 05:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Using the site as free advertising is definitely against the TOS.

That link is obvious Spam.
I might disagree.
Spamming

Spamming is the multiple posting of an identical or similar post on one or more of our Forums. Spam is also flooding the Internet with many copies of the same message, in an attempt to force the message on people who would not otherwise choose to receive it. Most spam is commercial advertising, often for dubious products, get-rich-quick schemes, or quasi-legal services.
https://www.bikeforums.net/faq.php?f...b3_board_usage

If the OP gets to the point where they are annoying us with every post they make, then you might be on to something. But the story the OP spins in the thread it was posted in makes it sound less like any potential for spam..... IMO.
Old 12-04-20, 08:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I might disagree.

If the OP gets to the point where they are annoying us with every post they make, then you might be on to something. But the story the OP spins in the thread it was posted in makes it sound less like any potential for spam..... IMO.
OK, not spam, but solicitation, also from the faq:Solicitation

Please refrain from using Bike Forums to promote your "crowdfunding campaign" (kickstarter/indiegogo), commercial services/website, or to advertise items for sale.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-04-20, 11:36 PM
mr_pedro

I am not that bothered whether regulations were met or not, the issue I have is with wasting people’s time by posting a series of new threads to get to 10 with no intention to participate and one line questions that are clearly made up by just combining the words bicycle plus a few words from the title of the sub forum.
Old 12-05-20, 05:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mr_pedro
I am not that bothered whether regulations were met or not, the issue I have is with wasting people’s time by posting a series of new threads to get to 10 with no intention to participate and one line questions that are clearly made up by just combining the words bicycle plus a few words from the title of the sub forum.

Which the "person" whose screen name happens to be the name of the business did only to promote a business. The reason that there are rules against promotions. is because allowing it invites that knd of "post on all forums" game-playing.

Also, ten to one this is a total scam.
​​​
Old 12-05-20, 07:21 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by paul barnard
this is why our op joined the forum.
-😠-
Old 12-05-20, 07:51 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I might disagree.

Most people who come to a forum and ask a question like the OP did stick around and discuss it if they are sincere. It is a discussion forum after all. I knew after a few days when the OP didn't follow up that the OP was likely a troll or spammer. A little homework and low and behold...