Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

TrainingPeaks Premium: Worth the Cost?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

TrainingPeaks Premium: Worth the Cost?

Old 12-14-20, 01:22 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
It would take a very lucky set of circumstances to be able to ride an honest 20-minute FTP test on the road, or even 8-minute test, but a 3-minute test is probably doable outside of urban areas.
Agreed. 8 minutes and 3 minutes are doable, but not as ideal for the results. I've only had a stretch that was usable for 20 minute tests on the road in two places I've lived...
Old 12-14-20, 05:51 AM
mr_pedro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
Agreed. 8 minutes and 3 minutes are doable, but not as ideal for the results. I've only had a stretch that was usable for 20 minute tests on the road in two places I've lived...
Most important is to stick to the same test and keep the testing workflow as consistent as possible between tests. Also, realize that every person is different in terms of how the average power in these tests translates to an FTP value. The FTP result might need to be scaled up or down before you can use it to determine interval intensities.

For example if 90%FTP efforts for 10 or 15 minutes are a walk in the park or if it feels like an all-out effort, you might need to adjust the FTP value. Next time, if you use the same test you can then apply the same personal adjustment to get the updated interval intensities.
Likes For mr_pedro:
Old 12-15-20, 07:09 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
At this point in the process I'm leaning toward TrainerRoad. It looks like it offers the "best" match for my needs. I may need to pick up a smart trainer to properly perform the ramp tests / FTP tests. That definitely throws a monkey wrench into the equation due to add'l cost, but if it's necessary to get the best out of TR then I'm open to it. And during the summer storm season I'll probably appreciate having a smart trainer so I don't have to ride in the pouring rain.
Old 12-15-20, 08:52 AM
mr_pedro

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
You can do your FTP tests outside just fine, as long as you can find a stretch of road where you can ride for 20 minutes without having to stop for traffic all the time. It can also be a loop. An all-out 20 min effort will give you roughly 105% of FTP and as I stated above it is not an exact science and possibly you need to adjust FTP estimation if intervals are too hard/easy.
And also, you need to have those stretches of road with fairly interrupted riding anyway in order to do your regular interval workouts.

The value of the trainer is really so you can continue with your training program when weather outside is no good. Or to save time, as a 1-hour workout really just takes 1 hour, while outside there is much more overhead time waisted.
Likes For mr_pedro:
Old 12-15-20, 10:22 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Only you can decide what's right for you, but I've found having a smart trainer to be a great benefit.