Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

240s single Speed Hub

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

240s single Speed Hub

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-20, 10:51 AM
phatjonny

Bikes: Cannondale H200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
240s single Speed Hub

Posting here rather than in mechanics forum as I guess those with experience of this hub are in here...

Just got a lovely used Nature Boy with one of these...
DT SWISS 240S CENTER LOCK SINGLE SPEED REAR HUB

Within a 100 km of use the bearings in hub got a little noisy. I have two new bearings ready, but on getting the end caps off it looks like the freewheel body also needs new bearings too as the first visible bearing looks bad.

I can't get the freewheel body off, and tried a few "taps" from NDS on axel but nothing moved.

Any direct experience of servicing this hub, or links greatly appreciated. I don't want to batter the arse out of it without a manual. What I have found covers other versions of this hub, not the single speed version..

Cheers

John
Old 12-12-20, 10:00 AM
Shinkers

Bikes: '88 Trek 1200, '91 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I haven't ever worked on one of these hubs myself, but I've done a lot with other DT hubs. To me it looks no different than a standard non-SS hub of theirs.

So once the end caps are off, the freehub body should be able to pull off of the axle. Sometimes the spacer between the bearings in the freehub body will get squished from clamping the hub in the frame and when this happens it's kind of like it clamps onto the axle. It will still come off, but it will be tight. One way to make it a bit easier would be to install a cog onto the freehub so that you have something to hold onto.

Once that is out, I'd assume there is a drive-ring in the hub like in their other hubs. You need a tool to get this out since it is bigger than the drive side bearing and will prevent it from coming out. The axle has a flange on the inside of both bearings; so one bearing is pressed in, the axle is installed, and the other bearing is pressed in - capturing the axle.

If the freehub is still too hard to get off with a cog on it, you can gently tap on the end of the axle while holding the freehub and see if you can get it to move. But since the drive-ring is covering the drive side bearing, you will not be able to just push the axle out in the direction of the freehub.

Hope that makes sense/helps/isn't too far off. You should be able to follow a normal 240 rear hub service procedure since I don't believe they are too different other than the width of the hub shell and the width of the freehub.

Sorry if I'm completely wrong.
Old 12-13-20, 11:36 AM
phatjonny

Bikes: Cannondale H200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
Many thanks Shinkers for the reply. I

had replacement bearings ready to change, but it turns out it was the freehub bearings that were gritty and the seal had worn off / was missing. The freehub body was firmly stuck but I managed to tap the axle in from the drive side to release it.

I asked DT Swiss for a service manual, they say there is not a specific one to this hub, but linked me to their generic manual, However, I found this older one with an exploded view of this hub. It seems some people have had success in servicing the freehub, but again, DT Swiss claim it is not serviceable in the same way that the others are. They may be right, especially at my skill level, but so far I have removed the bearings,by tapping them out from the non-drive side of the freehub body, but I have not sourced the needed replacements yet as I have also just managed to lose an axle bolt, so want to make sure I can replace that first before I order these...
HSBXXX00N2464S B.BEARING 6802 ESB/ESNB L ø15/24x5mm

Anyway, I am on a steep learning curve here, and may make a mess of it, but will report back on how it goes one way or the other. I can buy a new freehub, but they are pretty expensive.