Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Turbo cassettes

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Turbo cassettes

Old 12-09-20, 04:18 AM
Wrighty5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turbo cassettes

I have a wahoo kickr with a r8000 cassette, however my road bike has the cs 6800. Do I need to have a matching set of cassettes to prevent the noise on my turbo or is this setup ok?
Old 12-09-20, 04:36 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
They're both 11-speed cassettes, so it'll work with your RD. What do you mean prevent noise? I'd be more concerned about size/gearing. If your road bike is on an 11-32 and the turbo is 11-28, you could have some chain slack issues, if they are identically sized, you'll be good to go.
Old 12-09-20, 05:18 AM
Wrighty5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
They're both 11-speed cassettes, so it'll work with your RD. What do you mean prevent noise? I'd be more concerned about size/gearing. If your road bike is on an 11-32 and the turbo is 11-28, you could have some chain slack issues, if they are identically sized, you'll be good to go.
Basically when i put the bike on the turbo the higher and lower gears on the turbo rattle and not silent like on the bike. I hadn’t thought about the gearing - I’ll have a look thanks
Old 12-09-20, 05:25 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Keep in mind, on a kicker the cassette is mounted on a freehub, that drives a flywheel that is like your rear wheel on bike. If your cassette is loose, that is because it is not mounted properly, perhaps the lockring is not tight enough, and it doesn't need to be 40nM tight. If the gearing is different, you could be experiencing chain "slap", especially if the cassette is geared shorter on the Kickr than on the bike wheel.

Last edited by Badger6; 12-09-20 at 05:36 AM. Reason: typo