Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Larger vs smaller pedal platform for longer rides

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 01-06-21, 08:12 AM
stran11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Good morning,
I'm new to gravel riding and would appreciate your feedback. I am wondering if I should buy bigger platform pedals (such as Shimano XTR M9120, HT Components T1, Time Speciale 8, or equivalent) rather than the smaller ones (eg. Look X-Track, Time Atac) for 5-7 hour rides combining 25% asphalt and 75% hard pack gravel and rolling terrain that is softer/looser but does not have big rocks or mud. I guess I'm asking if your feet feel uncomfortable on smaller pedals after long rides (obviously also depends on the shoes you choose).
I usually can ride that amount of time on asphalt with my Time Xpro pedals without foot issues.
Thanks!
Old 01-06-21, 08:20 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 718 Posts
With really good, properly fitting shoes the size doesn't matter, you should be able to go hours. Although for mtbing I prefer wider so if a rock strike knocks the cleat out there's more to catch my foot. I ride a trail with lots of little knarled roots that stick up and this does happen when they're buried under the leaves.
if cheaper shoes hot spots can be an issue though it is rider dependant, in which case a wider pedal can offer more support when used with a mtb pedal or a road shoe with a road pedal that uses 3 bolt cleats.
Old 01-06-21, 08:46 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
I use stiff sole shoes (i think carbon) and this becomes the platform for any pedal - makes no difference what size the pedal is.
Likes For tdilf:
Old 01-06-21, 08:47 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
IME, a wider cleat on the platform, such as Look or SPD-L, provides greater support to the foot, OR a shoe with a stiff mid-sole such as a carbon shoe or one with a carbon mid-sole. I get bad "hot foot" which is an inflammation of the nerve under the pinky toe, mostly from poor sole support in the middle of the foot. Thus I use Shimano shoes with a carbon mid-sole and SPD pedals. I prefer SPD for the dual sided entry.
Old 01-06-21, 09:18 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
I use mountain bike SPD on all of my bikes and have never had an issue with pedals. If you are having problems with nerve compression, it's likely it's an issue with your shoes. One thing I learned in trying to track down foot numbness issues on long rides (think 350 miles in 2 days) was that the shoe interface at the ankle can cause problems. But usually it's the insole and foot box size. My feet swell just before 100 miles. This seems to always happen to me. Your feet may swell earlier.
Old 01-07-21, 07:45 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by tdilf
I use stiff sole shoes (i think carbon) and this becomes the platform for any pedal - makes no difference what size the pedal is.
This.

Platform size only matters if you are riding platform pedals.
Old 01-15-21, 09:40 AM
xseal

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by tdilf
i use stiff sole shoes (i think carbon) and this becomes the platform for any pedal - makes no difference what size the pedal is.
+1. I ride Time ATAC XC pedals on 6-7 hour gravel/road rides, no issues.
Old 01-15-21, 11:27 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Platform size only matters if you are riding platform pedals.
I thought that's what this thread was about, until I googled some of the pedals in the original post.